Raise your hand if you HATE your job!!!

• Author

I did it! My job is done. After a nasty email from the CEO of my company this weekend, and another nasty email from her about me in which she cc'd the rest of the organization, I hit "reply all" and gracefully took my leave with the following message:

Per your email to just me (pasted below), in an organization comprised only of six people, who possibly could be that "someone" with whom I would have "made a deal" to work only four days a week? If you instantly assume, each time there is any misunderstanding of office protocol, that your employees are scheming renegades set on taking advantage or otherwise thwarting the smooth operation and mission of your organization, it seems moot to hire them in the first place. I have worked four days a week from the beginning solely because I understood that was what was expected of me, and within that structure, I have striven to be a good and honorable employee.

Of course I anticipated that, the ______ being a new organization, all of our roles would evolve and needs and expectations would change as the _______ established itself in the community. But I also anticipated that, as needs shifted, these changes would be communicated to the staff by you, who presumably implement and approve changes, so that we all could be clear what our expectations were. Of course I assumed that if [CEO's daughter] put her name on the schedule for Friday, November 5th, that she would be there to cover the phones. The onus to communicate a change in the schedule was on [CEO's daughter], as well as on you, to alert us all to the fact that [CEO's daughter] would now be working for [different company]. Do you not regard you own organization and its constituents enough to personally ensure that clinicians are not left hanging, wondering why calls are being missed and thinking someone is in the office (this represents only my perception), and to ensure that should that inevitable scenario arise where someone calls literally about to end his or her life, someone is there to pick up the phone on the first few rings? We look to YOU to lead this organization towards achieving its aims. We understand what YOU have us to understand. If I have ever misunderstood the nature and extent of my role with this organization, it has been because YOU neglected to communicate with me so that we could be on the same page.

It saddens me that rather than work with me to clarify misunderstandings that inevitably arise as any organization begins and evolves, it seems to be a pattern that you instantly assume I am deliberately opposing you, and working under my own agenda rather than striving to help the _________ fulfill its aims. This pattern, I feel, places me in a position where I feel it is no longer prudent to offer ideas, or to aim to direct as many of my talents as I can towards meaningful contributions to the _______'s development. It saddens me personally, yes, in that it hurts my feelings when you seemingly think nothing of speaking to me in an unnecessarily harsh--and frankly, bullying--manner as you have on numerous occasions (as one example, your email to me below), and when you seem so unwilling to or incapable of recognizing what an asset I am to the _______ in my role of being the first point of contact a person in crisis has when he or she reaches out to the organization, and of organizing a database from scratch so that the ________ has a professionally rendered, legally sound, consistent mechanism of retaining client records. But it saddens me mostly because like [Medical Director] and our three excellent clinicians on staff, you have in me an employee who is passionate about people having access to quality mental health care. I did after all drive over 200 miles to show up unannounced in your office back in May, so determined was I to contribute my time, knowledge, and talent to responding to the disproportionately high rates of depression and suicide in [this part of the country].

I am a straightforward person and so I must bluntly state that I have never been treated in a professional or educational situation with as much disregard, disrespect, and poor or no communication as I have--by you--working for __________. I love working with [the clinicians and Medical Director], appreciate [CEO's daughter's] obvious flair for outreach, and I have been very touched and honored to be entrusted by the strangers whose calls to our hotline I have answered with their hope and their pain. I appreciate and respect, as well, that the salary you offered for this position was fair and enabled me at last to settle here and begin to make a new home. And I do thank you for that. But these benefits cannot come with the price tag of my dignity and psychological well-being. It's demoralizing and depressing to show up, in a part of the country and town where I am new and don't know many people and where I have no family, to a job where the head of it all apparently values me so little as to dispense with even basic gestures of respect.

It is for this reason that I must offer my resignation, effective today. I expect that I will be paid for the time I have worked, through this past Thursday, November 4, and after that my liaison with the ________ will cease. I have removed all of my personal effects from the office, and have left the office key in the kitchen drawer where the other keys are. It goes without saying, I trust, that I continue indefinitely to honor the code of confidentiality surrounding the proceedings of the _______ and of the clients who have called there during my tenure.

Please note that the opinions expressed herein are mine and mine alone.

I wish the _________ continued success. I can personally attest, having spoken to the volume of callers that I did, to the necessity and efficacy of the _________ in the community and I pledge to continue to support it and its mission in whatever way I can.

Respectfully,

GreenCove

I feel pretty dam*ed good :)
  • Author
Good Letter.. well worded and direct, without being the least bit petty.

Good Luck...

Thanks, AC. That was my aim.

dreamingoftigers
Thanks, AC. That was my aim.

It is kind of funny that the suicidal depressed ones are not the ones that were causing the job issues.

• Author
It is kind of funny that the suicidal depressed ones are not the ones that were causing the job issues.

lol, true that! They were the only ones who truly made the job worthwhile!

This looks interesting but I am a bit buzzed and not sure I read everything correct!! But, what I'm getting at is that I like you. Quit if you're unhappy!!

Work is just a necessary evil. Why can't humans just build their own house???? Seriously, I swear to god, this is the answer. Vote me president now!!

*edit*

Edited by yobynnad
My frustration just peaked and I felt I was one step away from just getting up, saying, "I quit," going to my car and never coming back. And I thought that would be irrationally hasty, and so I decided to vent here instead.

Hating your job right now and escaping into Loveshack? Post here!

I am already at the stage where I've checked out mentally, and my mind is on other matters, like where I'm going from here (I have a wonderful seasonal job lined up that starts at the beginning of next month and so I'll soon be giving my notice anyway, and I'm continuing to get well-paid contract work in another discipline in which I'm professionally trained). I work alone in the office and so when it gets busy with other co-workers having to be here, meetings, etc., I'm at the point where I feel like, "You people all are bothering me!"...whereas before I would dive in like an excited border collie saying, "What can I do to help?" Now I just don't give a sh*t, and I resent how overqualified I am and how menial the work is that they have me do.

As I said in a previous thread, this truly is the WORST JOB I HAVE EVER, EVER HAD!!!!!

It's sometimes the menial work that is not challenging enough. But most times it may be the people around us that are not too compatible to us or that the work we do is not in line with our passion.

• 3 weeks later...
ConstantCraving
My frustration just peaked and I felt I was one step away from just getting up, saying, "I quit," going to my car and never coming back. And I thought that would be irrationally hasty, and so I decided to vent here instead.

I am already at the stage where I've checked out mentally, and my mind is on other matters, like where I'm going from here (I have a wonderful seasonal job lined up that starts at the beginning of next month and so I'll soon be giving my notice anyway, and I'm continuing to get well-paid contract work in another discipline in which I'm professionally trained). I work alone in the office and so when it gets busy with other co-workers having to be here, meetings, etc., I'm at the point where I feel like, "You people all are bothering me!"...whereas before I would dive in like an excited border collie saying, "What can I do to help?" Now I just don't give a sh*t, and I resent how overqualified I am and how menial the work is that they have me do.

As I said in a previous thread, this truly is the WORST JOB I HAVE EVER, EVER HAD!!!!!

Just out of curiousity, what line of work are you in?

I'm out of work at the moment. :(

ConstantCraving
I did it! My job is done. After a nasty email from the CEO of my company this weekend, and another nasty email from her about me in which she cc'd the rest of the organization, I hit "reply all" and gracefully took my leave with the following message:

[sNIP]

I feel pretty dam*ed good :)

Good for you, unemployment is rough, but I know from experience that being in job you hate is worse.

Second bold could be arrogant or prideful as there is no menial job. If you are making an honest living. Granted I understand how you feel because I have been there many times.

I went from "rocket scientist" to scrubbing toilets with a tooth brush...exaggeration on both ends, although wanted to accentuate the difference. I realised the job wasn't menial, I was.

First bold...that is exactly what happened to me without me knowing it. I realise I was in a much different sitch than most on this board, older (just a little..hahaha), had retirement plan etc.

I was laid off from my normal line of work and called back into a classification that I had held back in the 80's, I was grateful yet the work was very physically demanding (I didn't have to go to gyms, got my work out at work), the trippiest part was driving fork lifts...and I got really good at that!

I had had many life changes and physical issues. When I walked back through the door I had 2 months vac saved, plus started accruing more. They were not happy about me taking so much vac time and I was physically messed up...the heavy work made it worse...I was stuck...then they started messing with me...I had had enough and went to the union.

They put me in a different area and my manager came in repremanding me about my vac time and attendance...I couldn't take it anymore. After years of being able to mask my infirmities, just couldn't do it anymore. I went home and went to medical the next day and broke down, I had already had an appointment with my doctor in a few days so the medical personnel used my vac time till my doctors appointment, my doctor put me out and that was it. I retired and never looked back.

I thought I would only be out for a couple of months to heal emotionally and physically, but that didnot happen...it was scary and had no choice but to throw it to the wind and hope all would be well....it was.

My heart goes out to those who are in the workplace in this day and hour...with the bullying, laziness and back biting, well it's just too much for me....

Edited by pureinheart
  • 2 weeks later...