Your Economic Status

How do you deal with your economic status? In many parts of the world economic status is very, very important, In the US that competes with our attitude of everyone being equal.

My status is above average. I did it on my own but don't resent those who inherited it, their folks were entitled to pass their money down to their loved ones. I somewhat admire those who achieved more, I certainly don't resent them for having done so. I do resent those who act as if they are better than others who have less. I don't look down on those WORKING people that have less, I admire them for greeting me at the checkout with a smile and good service.

I resent poorer people who blame the richer for being richer. Being rich isn't a crime, most of them/us did it via hard work and prudent spending.

Crooks are crooks, be they millionaire investment scammers or sidewalk robbers. Honest people are honest people, be they rich or poor.

Charity is a tough one for me. The people of the US are too charitable, we've created a massive underclass here and abroad that is too dependent on charity. And we have built a thriving business around the business of giving. I avoid the established charities and I avoid giving to those who are responsible for their own hardship. In recent years I've tried to do something for the badly injured soldiers. It's not easy to do so while avoiding the business bulit around charity. I give because I want to, I don't think anyone has an obligation to give anything to anyone.

I've done well, I'm aware of that because of those around me who've done less well. It troubles me that I have some pride in doing better than others. If they did as well as me, then I'd be happy for them but disappointed that I wasn't above average.

***** what's your economic status? How did you get there? How do you feel about the higher and lesser achievers? ****

I guess I look at it differently, the work thing and the money thing: I'm in a job that pays significantly less than what my counterpart – with my years of experience – would pull in the "real world," but I really don't care because I love what I'm doing, and that's the most important thing. Money is good – it pays bills and sometimes I have a little extra to splurge, but it's just money, you know?

I give because I want to, I don't think anyone has an obligation to give anything to anyone.

it fits in my personal belief system. And I think everyone ought to support charitable efforts as they are able, whether it's donate unused but still good stuff to organizations, give time helping those outfits that can't pay a wage, but still need the workers, or hell, even just promote these places by word of mouth in the hopes that someone who could benefit will learn about them. Because unless we instill the desire to help, no one is going to want to help.

I do draw the line at dealing with people who are to fricken lazy to help themselves – rich, poor, whoever – because those folks are leeches.

good topic, GP!

The Food Bank used to be one of my most important charities to contribute to but as of lately, seeing the attitudes of individuals on LS, I've stopped contributing. Why help people who resent the help?

So instead, I've been contributing more towards lung and breast cancer foundations. At least cancer patients don't bite the hand that tries to help them.

I make good money. I feel no envy for people who make more. When I pass through neighborhoods with too-big houses with too-perfect yards that have too-nice cars parked in the driveway I think those people aren't happier and may be more trapped by what they own than I am. There's a point where "more" and "bigger" and "nicer" is just gluttony. I make enough to enjoy myself, buy what I want, and save. I hope I can live comfortably when I quit working, if I ever do.

I've never trusted charities, so I've never given. It sometimes bothers me that I've been so selfish, but maybe in the future I'll turn the corner and give more.

I feel a sort of "survivor's" guilt when I think about people who don't live as securely as I do. I don't feel I've worked harder for what I earn, although I know I was luckier. I made better decisions, and I'm smarter than some of them. They could have gone to school, but they didn't. Maybe they regret that, but that's not easy for some people to do, and the time window for doing it is small. Most of them still work hard and honestly, maybe harder than I do, and they may not have enough savings to make it a month without a paycheck. I don't think I deserve it more, but I'm not giving it away either.

TouchedByViolet

My income is a little above average and I have a college degree and a good worth ethic responsible for this. I don't judge anyone based on income.

When it comes to donating, I like participating in educational events. I rarely donate money. When I was in college every semester elementary and middle school children were invited so we could teach them about chemistry and show them cool demos.

How do you deal with your economic status? In many parts of the world economic status is very, very important, In the US that competes with our attitude of everyone being equal.

My status is above average. I did it on my own but don't resent those who inherited it, their folks were entitled to pass their money down to their loved ones. I somewhat admire those who achieved more, I certainly don't resent them for having done so. I do resent those who act as if they are better than others who have less. I don't look down on those WORKING people that have less, I admire them for greeting me at the checkout with a smile and good service.

I resent poorer people who blame the richer for being richer. Being rich isn't a crime, most of them/us did it via hard work and prudent spending.

Crooks are crooks, be they millionaire investment scammers or sidewalk robbers. Honest people are honest people, be they rich or poor.

Charity is a tough one for me. The people of the US are too charitable, we've created a massive underclass here and abroad that is too dependent on charity. And we have built a thriving business around the business of giving. I avoid the established charities and I avoid giving to those who are responsible for their own hardship. In recent years I've tried to do something for the badly injured soldiers. It's not easy to do so while avoiding the business bulit around charity. I give because I want to, I don't think anyone has an obligation to give anything to anyone.

I've done well, I'm aware of that because of those around me who've done less well. It troubles me that I have some pride in doing better than others. If they did as well as me, then I'd be happy for them but disappointed that I wasn't above average.

***** what's your economic status? How did you get there? How do you feel about the higher and lesser achievers? ****

Great post pile, many people share your same opinion including myself when it comes to charity. To answer your questions:

- Currently working full time, finishing my degree part time. Earning approx. 39,000 a year before taxes, age 24.

- In the process of paying off student loans and shopping for my first home. I've had a job since I was 16 doing various things, longest run of unemployment was for 5 months when I was 21.

- I consider myself a higher achiever simply because I hate losing, I love competition, and I have goals that I'm very hungry for. I did poorly in high school because I didn't apply myself or fill my potential, college was and is a different story as I have a 3.8 GPA.

- I give to local and very specific charities (whom I trust and see the results directly) through the hospital I work for.

1: I earn I save I spend.

2: Got there by turning into an adult being responsible and learning thru experience you cant suck blood from a turnip.

3: I feel indifferent to materialistic folks and feel overwhelming regard for those who seek to do well while living the quiet and discerning lifestyle.

What determines a lesser or greater achiever?? AN award? Ones Bank account? I am unsure what that third question means in the context you may have tried to convey...can you expand or give examples of a higher and lesser achiever???

I was born into a family with a lot of money. Only time will tell what my own economic status will end up being.

Do you ever regret not having been born into a family with lots of brains?

I'm well off enough to afford the things I need and want. I'm a former Army officer, put myself through college, and will soon be a teacher. I consider myself working class and despise the distinction between blue and white collar. I do not and have never considered myself superior to anyone else. My family is and was wealthy, but that meant sh*t to us kids, because our parents gave us nothing but the essentials, food , medical care, clothes and an education. Expectations were always high. We were expected to excel at educational and athletic pursuits, we were expected to work on the ranch and an outside job, and any "extras" such as cars, computers, or other "toys", , we were expected to provide for, ourselves. The most expensive present I ever received as a kid was a ball glove, and it was on sale.:D:D I have nothing but contempt for the idle , ostentatious rich and the sanctimonious, religious right wing, and nothing but admiration for the working poor, the immigrants and those people who, daily, overcome handicaps of education, race, gender, mobility and discrimination, yet have built lives for themselves and their families. They have the true American Spirit.

Edited by JustJoe
Lauriebell82

I make significantly less then what my education and years of experience should get me. It's the field I chose, however. In other words, I don't make crap. I take pride in what I do and I know that I help people, so making less is something I expect and accept. My fiance makes a lot so our combined income allows me have more extra money and save more then if I was living off my salary alone.

My parents have helped me a lot, I have significantly less bills then I should (no car loans/school loans), however was completely cut off financially after I finished school. That's just fine with me, I feel very grateful for all that they did. I don't really donate to any kind of charity on a regular basis, I sometimes give money to the Epilepsy Foundation if I do happen to have extra. I guess I feel like I get paid so little to help so many people that are very bad off, so it evens out. :laugh:

When I was in college every semester elementary and middle school children were invited so we could teach them about chemistry and show them cool demos.

where was this program when I was a kid in the 70s? Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun!

I've done OK, above average, but it means Jack Sh*t. I have never earnt big, I am just unmaterialistic and work hard.

How I got there? I come from a rock solid working class family, left home at 18 with nothing and spent the next 5 years without a roof over my head, trying to make my way on the golf circuit. Traveling, hitching, working where there was work, doing whatever it took when there wasn't. Ended up in Cambodia in the early 90's, learnt a lot and retuned to London and really attacked life. Worked 16 hours a day, 7 days a week for about a year. Bought a house and set up my own scaffold company. Cleared the mortgage when I was 30 and have since put a little nest egg aside. It's not much, could have been a lot more, but have always operated on need rather than greed.

Higher or lesser achievers? I don't give crap what the next man does or does not have. Don't care what he does for living or what he spends his money on. If he is happy with his lot, fine, if not then do something about it, the opportunities are there, only the blind and lazy can't see them. What I can't stand is dishonest money and people who cannot appreciate how well off they actually are. Got a roof over your head, clean running water, food in your belly, medicine when ill? Then you're doing ok, the rest is a luxury.

As for charity, give when I see fit. Usually I do my bit in other ways, volunteer for a cause somewhere, usually building, an orphanage in Romania, village in Uganda, hospital in Nepal. It works both ways, they get my services and I get to be a part of something and spend time with people I actually like and respect. When I die any wealth I have will go to a cause and that will be my bit done.

• Author

What determines a lesser or greater achiever?? AN award? Ones Bank account? I am unsure what that third question means in the context you may have tried to convey...can you expand or give examples of a higher and lesser achiever???

Not saying acheivment is judged only on money, but this post was limited to financial status, so in this case "achiever" means economical achievment.

• Author

crosoe writes:

As for charity, give when I see fit. Usually I do my bit in other ways, volunteer for a cause somewhere, usually building, an orphanage in Romania, village in Uganda, hospital in Nepal. It works both ways, they get my services and I get to be a part of something and spend time with people I actually like and respect. When I die any wealth I have will go to a cause and that will be my bit done

Hi Crusoe, at risk of derailing my own thread...

I see your charity doesn't stay in your home country, I don't knock charity to all, but I've always felt an obligation to contribute to charities in the country that allowed me to be doing well.

Europe, and North America (honorable mention to Japan) made Bill Gates the World's richest man, but he gives MUCH less in his home country than other countries.

As far as individuals who've done better than I have, more power to them!!

In this day and age in both Canada and the United States, opportunities abound for individuals who are willing to risk and work hard, who make continually smart life decisions which equate to financial prosperity.

I applaud each and every one of them! :bunny:

crosoe writes: .

Hi Crusoe, at risk of derailing my own thread...

I see your charity doesn't stay in your home country, I don't knock charity to all, but I've always felt an obligation to contribute to charities in the country that allowed me to be doing well.

I used to feel the same way. If I gave the reasons of what changed it probably would derail the thread, so best I just say I no longer feel obligated.

I make decent money. I'm at least middle class. My life wasn't always that way, however.

My mom gave birth to me, and shortly thereafter, my father started to abuse us. It wasn't like that before they were married or before I came along.

She took me and left for my sake. He didn't pay child support and basically skipped town and didn't take on jobs. My mom had to support me by herself. And then she was laid off from her job, and it was when the country was in a financial crisis, sort of like how it is now.

Thankfully, due to CHARITIES like food banks, we didn't starve to death. My mom sacrificed everything so that I could have a good upbringing. Finally, when she got a job with the government, she started being taxed at a pretty hefty rate.

She now makes pretty good money, and donates a lot to help others who aren't in a good position.

Not everyone who is poor or on welfare is lazy or stupid.

That all being said, I don't judge myself on my income. I judge myself on how I live, the lives I can change, etc. I don't care how others live, and don't care how others perceive me.

Despite making decent money I drive a used car, live in a modest rental, have no debt, and am trying to become more frugal all the time so that I have money for retirement.

• Author
As far as individuals who've done better than I have, more power to them!!

In this day and age in both Canada and the United States, opportunities abound for individuals who are willing to risk and work hard, who make continually smart life decisions which equate to financial prosperity.

I applaud each and every one of them! :bunny:

Very, very well spoke.
  • Author
I make decent money. I'm at least middle class. My life wasn't always that way, however.

My mom gave birth to me, and shortly thereafter, my father started to abuse us. It wasn't like that before they were married or before I came along.

She took me and left for my sake. He didn't pay child support and basically skipped town and didn't take on jobs. My mom had to support me by herself. And then she was laid off from her job, and it was when the country was in a financial crisis, sort of like how it is now.

Thankfully, due to CHARITIES like food banks, we didn't starve to death. My mom sacrificed everything so that I could have a good upbringing. Finally, when she got a job with the government, she started being taxed at a pretty hefty rate.

She now makes pretty good money, and donates a lot to help others who aren't in a good position.

Not everyone who is poor or on welfare is lazy or stupid.

That all being said, I don't judge myself on my income. I judge myself on how I live, the lives I can change, etc. I don't care how others live, and don't care how others perceive me.

Despite making decent money I drive a used car, live in a modest rental, have no debt, and am trying to become more frugal all the time so that I have money for retirement.

In the US I've known people to skip government programs and eat a meager diet, but i've never seen someone starve....not even close. Unfortunately the government (and charities) often give loads to system abusers. They deliberately stay out of work, they pay Doctors to certify them as disabled, they sell the food taxpayers paid for...for money to buy smokes, booze, and drugs.

Your Mom was apparently a legitimate short term person in need. She didn't make a career out of taking. And you seem to be a responsible person.

I'm not rich. But, I purchased a home in a great area with my fiance at the age of 26. I'm pretty proud of us for that. I may not have everything I want, but I definitely have more than I need.

Not saying acheivment is judged only on money, but this post was limited to financial status, so in this case "achiever" means economical achievment.

Thanks Gold Pile for clarifying and being specific . With that said I agree with Treasa.....Sorry for intruding on a financial status quo topic....thought it was more about achievements via other means that made one rich in heart and deeds or intellect or...

ANd FYI...yes there are people in america starving...most just choose to not notice or give a hoot because soo long as its not in their backyard...whats it matter....NIMBYS' gotta love em!