Did any of you break up before getting back together and getting engaged?

KafkasLastWords

KafkasLastWords

I am wondering if anyone engaged or married went through a breakup with their now fiance or spouse before getting engaged. If so, why did you feel you needed to breakup then? What made you come back together?

• 3 weeks later...
georgia girl

We did. Actually, I came back to Loveshack because my then boyfriend and I had broken up due to his commitment issues. At first, I sort of wallowed in my misery and just wanted him back. I think I got over that pretty quickly, though, and just went no contact.

We were no contact for about six weeks (actually, I should say I was no contact - my then "ex" never stopped contacting me). Eventually, he wore me down and I gave ou relationship another shot. It wasn't completely easy, however, and we ended up going to counselling. We both learned a great deal, mostly about ourselves more than our relationship, if that even makes sense when someone is going to couples' counselling.

In the end, I can look back and say that breaking up was the absolute best thing that ever happened to us - though it was painful for both of us at the time. While I shouldn't - and won't - speak for my fiance, I can say that I have never been happier as an individual and as a couple. Being in love is now the easiest, most simple thing in my life and it wasn't before.

My only advice to anyone looking at their relationship is to be totally self-honest. Don't sacrifice what you want and need just to be in that relationship with that person. When you sacrifice, you short-change everyone: yourself, your partner and your relationship. But when you learn the difference between compromise and sacrifice, it all just unfolds magically for you. You learn how to become fulfilled in your relationship in a way that is similarly fulfilling to your partner.

Good luck. Everyone deserves a happy ending with the right person!:love:

Yes!.

Me and my fiance were together for about 6months when she realised that she might be making a mistake and called things off for a while, it was about 2 weeks and I had started to come to terms with loosing her, I did the no contact then and well she says now it worked because she missed me so much that she knew we had something special and that we should be together.

We got back together, talked and eased are diffrences, moved in together after about 8 months together and are now engaged and expecting our first son at the end of next month.

We both know we are meant to be together (Cliche maybe!) but i think we have both been lucky and met our soulmates!.

BlackLovely

If any of you are Seinfeld fans, you will remember Elaine and Puddy.

Mr. BlackLovely and I were like that on a much smaller and yet just as hilarious scale.

Our first and foolish break up lasted for LESS THAN SIX HOURS. Yeah, you read that right. I took him back, because I thought he was irresistibly foolish and cute; he called me complaining of a stomach ache and missing me.

Obviously, there were some maturity and commitment issues on his side. After months of back and forth nonsense, I finally told Mr.BlackLovely never to call me again unless he was tired of riding the merry-go-round. I reminded him that he was in his thirties, not in high school. I made it clear that while I loved him, I loved myself more and I wanted to be with someone who was ready to make an adult commitment.

:love:He proposed on New Year's Eve, 2008. 2009 began with a bang for us!

We will be marrying on October 2nd, 2010. We have never loved each other more.

heart of gold

this thread was a breath of fresh air! thank you so much for your stories! it gives me hope that things will work out for the best for me too :laugh: