moviesf

People who are very empathic move their minds completely into the plot of the movie. The mind does not distinguish between that which is real and that which is imagined. So if you think of a movie as your imagination on the screen, your mind has even more ammunition to create a reality for you that can be very frightening, exciting, depressing, etc., depending on the movie.

If you've sat for two or three hours with your mind so focused on another world, sometimes at the edge of your seat, sometimes laughing your gutts out, when the movie ends and the lights are brought back up it takes the mind a while to come back to its former reality.

The principle is similar to a state of hypnosis. Licensed ethical hypnotherapists who take their patients into different levels of consciousness must bring them back to their normal state very very slowly. At the movies, we are brought back to our formal reality rather abruptly in most cases.

You will most likely be even more disoriented and possibly fatigued after a very heavy thriller that didn't have many breaks from the action. Remember, everything that happens to the actors, if they are about to fall off a cliff or jump out of a plane...is happening in your mind as well...and you are part of it. The whole movie really exists in no other place except YOUR brain.

So as you're leaving the theatre, you often feel a bit of light-headedness or disorientation. That's a sign you really got into the movie and your mind is transitioning from the world the movie portrayed to the world you are entering back into.

I often wonder how some people can get up to get popcorn at such crucial parts of a movie.

If this phenomenon did not exist, if we could not get our minds so completely involved in a good movie, they wouldn't make very much money.

I hope this explanation helps a bit. I'm sure others can share their ideas as well.

ya know i never thought you'd take my question seriously. i thought i was just strange. i don't know anyone who goes through this like i do. for this reason i don't like going to the movies, i am prone to anxiety attacks as it is and this feeling after the movie actually brings one on cause i feel so disoriented. but my b'f likes movies so i go with him and it takes me hours sometimes to calm down. like tonight, that is why i posted this message. we went to see "scarry movie" that was over an hour ago, i came home and tried to get lost in the computer until i can bring myself down but it is so scary i wonder if i am going crazy cause i never hear anyone else with this problem. i sit and watch the movie and think more about how i am going to feel when it is over then i watch the movie. thank you tho for sheding some light on this. thank you so much

People who are very empathic move their minds completely into the plot of the movie. The mind does not distinguish between that which is real and that which is imagined. So if you think of a movie as your imagination on the screen, your mind has even more ammunition to create a reality for you that can be very frightening, exciting, depressing, etc., depending on the movie. If you've sat for two or three hours with your mind so focused on another world, sometimes at the edge of your seat, sometimes laughing your gutts out, when the movie ends and the lights are brought back up it takes the mind a while to come back to its former reality. The principle is similar to a state of hypnosis. Licensed ethical hypnotherapists who take their patients into different levels of consciousness must bring them back to their normal state very very slowly. At the movies, we are brought back to our formal reality rather abruptly in most cases. You will most likely be even more disoriented and possibly fatigued after a very heavy thriller that didn't have many breaks from the action. Remember, everything that happens to the actors, if they are about to fall off a cliff or jump out of a plane...is happening in your mind as well...and you are part of it. The whole movie really exists in no other place except YOUR brain.

So as you're leaving the theatre, you often feel a bit of light-headedness or disorientation. That's a sign you really got into the movie and your mind is transitioning from the world the movie portrayed to the world you are entering back into. I often wonder how some people can get up to get popcorn at such crucial parts of a movie.

If this phenomenon did not exist, if we could not get our minds so completely involved in a good movie, they wouldn't make very much money.

I hope this explanation helps a bit. I'm sure others can share their ideas as well.

People who are highly empathic or suggestive are often disposed to having panic attacks. I am surprised you could sit through a scary movie or other thriller without having one.

I suggest that you carry sunglasses with you so if you leave the theatre while it is light out, you can put them on. Light can also bring on these attacks.

Also, avoid drinking Coke or any beverage with caffein during the movie.

If you are prone to hyperventilation (rapid breathing), take a small paper bag with you and when you get to your car, breathe into it twice for about 20 seconds each. You should feel lots better then. Repeat that if necessary.

Tell your doctor about your situation. He can also prescribe medication that you can take prior to the movie that will prevent these unpleasant episodes.

People who have this problem are usually highly suggestive, have vivid imaginations, are extremely sensitive, and are exceptionally intelligent. Did I hit this on the mark?

tony, well you hit the mark pretty good on that one. however i don't hyperventilate (thank god), i am prone to panic attacks tho. the only thing i don't like about scarry movies is the graphics, blood & guts stuff. i do love a good suspense tho. we fortunately for me unfortunately for my b'f don't go to too many movies, matrix was the last one, at my insistence cause of the disorientation afterwards. my b'f don't get bothered at all and i think he gets more engrossed then i do. i am very suggestive, very visual like with imagery, visualization, i am too sensitive, i have a very active imagination, sometimes to the point where i can think of something and visulaize it like i am there and then come to reality and get freaked out so to speak. it is scarrier then a scarry movie too. cause it's like you walk into two different worlds without leaving the other one. i'm not talking schitzophrenia either, or however you spell it. i'm not so sure about the intelligence part tho. i think it's in there but i don't know how to utilize it. thank you for your help. i use to take meds but decided to get help through counseling with my anxiety attacks. they are for the most part under control, but i do get anticipatory anxiety, i hate that. would you believe i have it already, we are going to minn to visit my family i havent' seen in eight years and i am scared to death to see them and make the drive from colorado. aaahhhh!

People who are highly empathic or suggestive are often disposed to having panic attacks. I am surprised you could sit through a scary movie or other thriller without having one. I suggest that you carry sunglasses with you so if you leave the theatre while it is light out, you can put them on. Light can also bring on these attacks. Also, avoid drinking Coke or any beverage with caffein during the movie. If you are prone to hyperventilation (rapid breathing), take a small paper bag with you and when you get to your car, breathe into it twice for about 20 seconds each. You should feel lots better then. Repeat that if necessary. Tell your doctor about your situation. He can also prescribe medication that you can take prior to the movie that will prevent these unpleasant episodes. People who have this problem are usually highly suggestive, have vivid imaginations, are extremely sensitive, and are exceptionally intelligent. Did I hit this on the mark?