Good Pain vs. Bad Pain after weight lifting

I woke up today feeling very sore too. I'm not sure if it's the kickboxing (kind of went extra hard yesterday), the deadlift (on Thursday), or the fact that I went dancing last night in my high heels.

My guess is the deadlift. Always hit me the hardest 2 days later.

You should soak in hot water with Epsom salt. I am going to try my foam roller now, Tman said it works wonder. I kind of tested a little bit this morning on my back, it hurts but it feels good too.

I kinda enjoy the pain ;)

I did legs today and man oh man I can feel my legs are going to be sore tomorrow. I just hope they're not so sore that I don't do my running (but seeing how I've been sick, and sore all week I don't see that stopping me)

• 2 weeks later...

There is DOMS and AOMS. Delayed or acute onset muscle soreness. Delayed occurs due to a new work out or an increase in the work out (weight or repetitions). Acute occurs because of muscle misuse - doing an exercise improperly or too vigorously. So delayed is the more expected and perhaps healthier of the two.

Isolated muscle groups (ex, pecks) need a day to rest in between exercises. Not doing so makes you susceptible to a muscle strain or other injury, weather soreness is present or not. But it's okay to do a full body (such as kickboxing) aerobic work out the next day because in this case you are not isolating muscle groups, but rather using a little of many muscles. In fact any cardio work out like this can safely be done everyday but if soreness is present, something like kick-boxing can still set the stage for worsening an injury.

I can't stress the importance of stretching. Many of us tend to avoid this or only do it to a small extent. Hold stretches for 10-15 seconds (no bouncing) and breath through them. Then your risk of muscle injury or soreness greatly decreases. And of course, don't stretch cold muscles, but after warm-up.

I guess I did learn a little from being a Sports Med major, lol.