Emotionally Taxing Professions

Cinnamon2000
Having a chat with a police officer recently got me imagining what it must be like to be in profession like that. Professions that can take a lot of a person.

It’s lead me to thinking about people that are/were social workers, police officers, firefighters, nurses, psychologists, and the like.

These would have to be occupations that can potentially take their toll on people emotionally (in addition to all the rest of it).

To those in fields such as these, I wanted to ask: how do you prevent taking the work home with you, emotionally – even after working with many people that are traumatized, vulnerable, or in extreme situations? On the other hand, how do you make sure you don’t become callous to what people are going through? Is burnout common in your particular field?

What are the ways that you have found helpful to maintain the needed professional distance, yet not become so detached you lose touch?

I imagine it’s a difficult balance to strike at times.

You just have to deal with it. It's called being professional.

• 3 weeks later...
jinosbrovens

Actually these seems to be a interesting one discussion why you are trying to combine social activities with emotional activities,what basically require to understand this a proper collaborative understanding.