can coffee change smell of urine

this is wierd but i notice if i drink a lot of coffee, i can smell it when i pee. also i used to drink ensure, and you can totally smell the ensure!! and if i eat tuna frequently, i would swear there is a tuna-esqu smell.

i am not worried that i am abnormal, just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

It is highly unusual but possible for coffee and Ensure to cause some minor changes in the odor of urine. The only known food that can change the odor of urine in a major way is asparagus. These changes are not, however, medically significant and if you drink sufficient water the urine will go back to its normal odor in very short order.

It is much better for your urine to smell like coffe than for your coffee to smell like urine. Worry if that happens.

It is highly unusual but possible for coffee and Ensure to cause some minor changes in the odor of urine.

You're right, Tony...as long as we change "highly unusual" to "completely normal" and "minor" to "major".

Substances which, once ingested, cause detectable changes in the odor of urine include:

* Coffee

* Chili powder

* Asparagus

The smell produced by asparagus is unusual in that it is utterly different from the vegetable smell (whereas coffee and spice odors are unchanged by passage through the body).

Why do I know this?

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by kendrayk

Just to add, I'd often noticed this effect on my urine, finding that it has something of the smell of Cheerios...

Cheerios smell?

DerangedAngel
Cheerios smell?

Kind of. Kendrayk, how in the hell do you know your pee smells like cheerios? Do you stick your head in the toilet bowl? Or is the cheerio scent in cheerio-scented pee stronger than a regular cheerio smell? :laugh: I want to know this.

-Deranged

Originally posted by Tony

The only known food that can change the odor of urine in a major way is asparagus.

And boy, does asparagus change the smell! When we eat any for dinner, we both chuckle now, knowing it will have a side effect lol!

DerangedAngel

I have actually never eaten asparagus. Looks funny. :sick: I knew it was supposed to change the way your urine smelled... but if I may be so dumb to ask: what does it smell like afterwards? :confused::o

-Deranged

There are a lot of foods and beverages which can change the color and oder of urine. Urine is supposed to be white with very little smell to it.

........thus says the beer and coffee queen......hahahaha!

Hard to describe DA. It smells STRONG though...kind of sour lol! It can take at least 12 hours to go completely out of your system too. :o

Originally posted by DerangedAngel

I have actually never eaten asparagus. Looks funny. :sick: I knew it was supposed to change the way your urine smelled... but if I may be so dumb to ask: what does it smell like afterwards? :confused::o

-Deranged

Like asparagus. which is a decent veggie(spoken by a guy who just ate an 8 oz bag of doritos for dinner)

Originally posted by Darkangelism

Like asparagus. which is a decent veggie(spoken by a guy who just ate an 8 oz bag of doritos for dinner)

Mmmmm doritos NOT one of the five food groups!

And yep, it is a nice veggie....better fresh than from a tin tho

Originally posted by kendrayk

Just to add, I'd often noticed this effect on my urine, finding that it has something of the smell of Cheerios...

Okay, this is SOOO freaky. I started reading this thread and was just getting ready to post the exact same thing you said! I drink one cup of coffee a day, and I've noticed for a long time that when I pee after drinking my coffee it does smell strongly of Cheerios. And all this time I thought I was the only one! :):bunny:

Originally posted by Darkangelism

And why are we smelling our piss?

Shall I draw you a mental picture? Okay. You're sitting on the toilet. You pee. While you are peeing, you can smell the strong scent of Cheerios. Period. And yes, Cheerios have a smell. Go stick your nose in a box and inhale. :D

corythosaurus

Everything we eat and drink changes what we excrete, from pee to fecal matter and yes semen.

Coffee is a diuretic. It will increase urine flow which can cause dehydration. To combat the coffee effects, drink ample amounts of water.

• 1 year later...
Kind of. Kendrayk, how in the hell do you know your pee smells like cheerios? Do you stick your head in the toilet bowl? Or is the cheerio scent in cheerio-scented pee stronger than a regular cheerio smell? :laugh: I want to know this.

-Deranged

In short, it's a strong smell. I don't have to lean over, all I have to do is breathe in and it's very apparent