What is "support" in the OM/OW Forum?

For me .. support is whatever the OP needs.. she might need support for NC or she might need support because she's heartbroken.. or she simply wants to talk about her experience.. :o

Perfect!! I agree 100%

Dexter Morgan

A "whore" does not define the person. To be considered a whore, you would have to screw for money 24/7 from age 18 until death.

not true, look up Merriam-Webster's definition of a wh0re. Screwing people for money is just but ONE definition.

the other is an unscrupulous or "venal" person.

But I'll digress, I stay away from those labels. I'll call a cheater a cheater, and will describe someones behavior as despicable or unscrupulous because they are proper descriptions of ones behavior (even though by definition "wh0re" is as well, but people don't like it, so I refrain)

Only time I would use the afformentioned words above is if its not directed at anyone on the forum.

I think if the people here want to rise to the next level of evolution they need to start showing more love and compassion for others, no matter what their line of work or behavior.

I agree...people should show that love and compassion for the people they are hurting in real life. Thats where it needs to start.

• 2 months later...
  • Author
moaningmyrtle

I thought I'd resurrect this thread from a few weeks ago. As I recall it remained respectful despite the different opinions expressed.

A week or so ago I posted in another thread about why, as a BW, I post to the OW/OM Forum. Unfortunately the whole thread got deleted (and my post with it) for reasons unconnected with my post.

Anyway another poster mentioned to me that she liked my post (or rather the reasons I gave) so I thought I'd write it out again. I didn't keep a copy so it isn't exactly the same as my earlier post.

Here goes:

Why do I as a BW post to the OW/OM Forum?

The stated purpose of the Forum is: "Support and discussion for those who find themselves involved with a committed partner.

I post for the discussion side of things and I choose to interpret this as meaning about the topic of "those who find themselves involved with a committed partner" rather than the discussion being limited exclusively between those who happen to be OW or OM.

It seems to me that many other posters use a similar interpretation as mine.

silverplanets

I've found this threat interesting .. I'm obv only a new user and I find my replies falling into a couple of categories.

first - when someone posts who is obviously just in a world of pain .. I find I empathise with this and posting just to try and let then know that they are not alone with, hopefully, the intention that they don't do anything silly and also hopefully to help them through the process a bit. I try NOT to make any comment in these about how they got into that place ..

second - when someone is venting about a situation but is obv not in the immediate pain zone .. Mostly here I think the nature of replies is supportive with maybe the odd "you might want to consider this" type pointer ..

thirdly - when someone posts and asks for recommendations/thoughts .. I think in this case I tend to give my real thoughts (hopefully phrased respectfully) as to what I think or what I perceive will happen based upon experience

My only post has been in the third category and I wanted (and got) people's honest opinion .. and that is what I was here for. A broad base of opinion allows me to consider alternatives and weigh up my own views etc

I got censored earlier (or infracted, sorry if term is wrong) .. at first I was pee'ved but when I read it I did kind of agree with it. I misread a post mid thread and assumed someone was asking for a point of view when clearly they weren't. I have no complaints about that ...

It is hard to know if one is being too hard in some cases though when you can just see people getting themselves into those positions of hurt .. maybe I need to be a bit more careful here with these .. I don;t know.

From my own experience ONE caring enough person to have pointed out the bloody obvious in a brutal manner would have saved me a lot of difficult times and perhaps I feel that sometimes you need to disagree with someone to help them.

I must admit I hadn;t given thought to whether this forum does actually encourage and perpetuate xM affairs or not.

I shall have to ponder that one and decide where I stand on it :)

Dexter Morgan

A "whore" does not define the person. To be considered a whore, you would have to screw for money 24/7 from age 18 until death.

thats just one definition of it.

Definitions of the word also include simply being an adulterer or a "venal or unscrupulous person"

dont hate the messenger though, hate Merriam-Webster;)

Having this sort of debate is meaningless and makes us get stuck at a level of growth that is so stunting.

I agree, but I did have to make the correction above since the dictionaries do support such.

and do note, just putting forth the dictionary meaning of the word, not calling anyone that

thats just one definition of it.

Definitions of the word also include simply being an adulterer or a "venal or unscrupulous person"

dont hate the messenger though, hate Merriam-Webster;)

I agree, but I did have to make the correction above since the dictionaries do support such.

and do note, just putting forth the dictionary meaning of the word, not calling anyone that

Warning major TJ. and Dexter spoiler:

Dexter Morgan, OMG, I can't believe Rita was killed. What are you going to do?

Warning major TJ. and Dexter spoiler:

Dexter Morgan, OMG, I can't believe Rita was killed. What are you going to do?

AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I so wish I had not seen this post :eek::eek::eek:

Support is not deciding what is right or wrong for another person. We have our own truths and standards, we have have to come outside ourselves and support the other person in whatever that may be, whatever means we can furnish for them.

If their situation hits too close to home then support would be putting them in the direction of someone, something that can help them.

To those looking for support, I would suggest being cautious as sometimes too many opinions/suggestions can be confusing, also some are tainted.

For me, I have changed my veiws greatly and used to bash MM because of my own hurt and also took that stance of getting away from the MM. I will still say get away from any person that is abusive and get help.

I need to remember this is the OW NW OM forum and I hope we all respect that.

I don't want to die...ever....or get old...ever!:(

lol....you don't have to....look at Jane Fonda and others....it's great. Now the dying part....