A Day to Remember

lipglossboost

A Day to Remember

For years, the American culture has celebrated Thanksgiving.

We were taught, as young children, that it was a happy day. We made little turkey puppets in school, put on plays about the pilgrims and the Indians, and talked about what we were thankful for. I grew up thinking the pilgrims and the Indians were great friends. No one taught us the truth, until celebrating this holiday was ingrained in us.

As I have read and learned about this country's history as an adult, I learned how the founding fathers and mothers of America were taken advantage of and massacred. I learned of the arrogance and ignorance of my European ancestors. I learned to feel sadness and shame over great things lost to us now.

The Indians believed that no one owned the land, that she is her own entity and therefore cannot be possessed by man. This belief was exploited and they lost not only their lives, but their way of life. Many secrets were buried.

Like most Americans today, I am a mix in ancestry. I am part Romanian Gypsy, part Viking Berserker, part Scandinavian, and yes, part American Indian. I am part of both sides of this tragic story. I cannot celebrate a violation of the land, a raping of a people, a murder of a culture. I choose not to celebrate Thanksgiving, but instead, in my everyday life, I choose to honor my ancestors, on both sides, and remember their missteps, so that I will never be a party to making those same mistakes, and having those same prejudices against any of my fellow man.

For me, it is a day not of celebration, but of remembrance.

How truly said...Sadly either so many people are ignorant of this fact, or choose not to acknowledge it. I have never celebrated thanksiving or ever will...What is there to celebrate? The massacre of the natives who taught the pilgrims to cook turkey and shared? Is no one getting the joke? I have similiar notions about Halloween but that is yet for another post...

• 4 weeks later...

AS I read these posts it makes frusterated at what the purpose of Thanksgiving comes from. I find it a time to come together as family and be thankful for what we have today in America. While I have studied and learned and DO have American Indian in me, I realize that while we make mistakes, we learn from those.

While we shouldnt forget the mistakes we should learn from them and move into a new generation that supports freedom and thanksgiving for that freedom that allows us to daily make better decisions for a future that in the past didn't look so bright.