Ladies: Would you date someone who was your height/barely taller than yourself?

aerogurl87

All other things being equal, I would prefer a taller guy... but all other things usually aren't equal! I wouldn't compromise on numerous things such as kindness, trustworthiness, intelligence, etc just to have a taller guy. As long as a guy is taller than me in bare feet then I'm ok with it.

My current bf is an inch taller than me, and I can't deny that I'd prefer it if he was a bit taller because I'd prefer him to be taller than me all the time, including when I wear heels. I don't particularly like being taller than him when I wear heels, although it does make me feel supermodel-esque, and he says it makes him feel like he's dating a supermodel too :laugh: But when it comes down to it, I can deal with being taller in heels as long as he's a decent guy.

I don't understand why height is ever an issue for people. If you are attracted to them, then what is the problem? As a matter of fact, the woman I am with right now is the 4'11" girl...she is smokin hot, but short. No big deal, because everything else is there.

Well, I'm short, so it'd be awkward, physically, for me to be with someone who's, say, 6'5" or something. I'd need to climb up onto a chair to give him a kiss. :laugh:

My ex-roommate was this little chick of all but 5'2". Her BF was about 6'2". I used to have to listen to them f*ck in the next room, and it was impossible not to imagine the body-size mechanics of it.

*vomits*

When girls say they want a tall man because they love to wear high heels, it sounds like a man is just a fashion accessory to them. So at 6’3” 185lb, I’m the ultimate girl-accessory? You can wear all the heels you want and even forget about your other accessory, your bunny rabbit.:bunny:

• Author
I have the same issue as you, OP, and I'm seriously having a hard time getting past it. (Not to sound shallow, because I am not!) (Refer to one of my previous threads)

Like you, he's great on paper -I mean, everything else about him is a ray of freshness. I am very intrigued by him, but I'm not sure if this issue will be a deal breaker for me.

Perhaps I am looking for an excuse not to like him, perhaps you are too.

Don't mean to high-jack your thread.

I don't think you should focus too much on this particular issue, see how he makes you feel and take it from there. (Trying to take this advice myself, too.) Are you secure enough with him?

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way, lol. Yeah I'm not shallow or anything, but it's just a big change for me I guess. And yes I feel secure with him, it's just the height thing is awkward for me now. But I'm getting better about it, and at least I have an excuse to now go buy more new shoes. :)

My ex-roommate was this little chick of all but 5'2". Her BF was about 6'2". I used to have to listen to them f*ck in the next room, and it was impossible not to imagine the body-size mechanics of it.

*vomits*

Are you kidding? Small girl -> small hahoo -> more friction -> more fun:bunny:

Im 5'7 and a half, and would have no problem dating someone my height. And I have. I knew some women had issues dating considerable shorter men. But your own height?? Sheesh:p

Are you kidding? Small girl -> small hahoo -> more friction -> more fun:bunny:

Don't assume that just because she is short that her hahoo must be small.

You never know. You may be able to driver a corvette through there.:laugh:

No, because I enjoy wearing high heels every day. I don't even own any shoes with under a 4'' heel unless we're talking sneakers or flip flops. I have dated guys my height or shorter and I don't like the feeling at all. I like to be at eye level with shoes on at least to be comfortable.

When girls say they want a tall man because they love to wear high heels, it sounds like a man is just a fashion accessory to them. So at 6’3” 185lb, I’m the ultimate girl-accessory? You can wear all the heels you want and even forget about your other accessory, your bunny rabbit.:bunny:

No, it has nothing to do with a man being a fashion accessory. The fact is, I want to be the woman in the relationship - i.e. I want to be the shorter, weaker one of the two, the one who is protected and taken care of by the man - I want a big strong man and I don't feel very feminine if the guy is shorter or skinnier than me.

I like wearing heels, but if that makes me taller than my man I end up feeling unfeminine, which I don't like very much because it makes me feel butch :( I can deal with it because I don't wear heels all the time, so most of the time my man will be taller than me even if he's only an inch taller.

ReturnToSender
No, it has nothing to do with a man being a fashion accessory. The fact is, I want to be the woman in the relationship - i.e. I want to be the shorter, weaker one of the two, the one who is protected and taken care of by the man - I want a big strong man and I don't feel very feminine if the guy is shorter or skinnier than me.

I like wearing heels, but if that makes me taller than my man I end up feeling unfeminine, which I don't like very much because it makes me feel butch :( I can deal with it because I don't wear heels all the time, so most of the time my man will be taller than me even if he's only an inch taller.

I know what you mean...at my height and shape, I will never ever be a petite feminine little flower...lol! I mean really...I do envy women who are shorter at times, but you know what? When I get dolled up, and Im in my heels...thats just flat out nothing less than a sexy woman...nothing butch about me. Yeah, maybe no delicate flower but that just means, you better be able to handle what Ive got going on.

I do tend to end up with guys who are confident, and whose personalities more than make up for it that Im towering over him. Its all in the attitude...his and mine. :)

• Author

I agree. I don't like looking down on my man, I like to be able to at least look him in the eye when in shoes, if not up at him. And being taller than him just makes me feel well, very unfeminine as Thorton mentioned. I rather wear sneakers and flip flops all the time and be a wee bit shorter than my guy than wear high heels and tower above him. Just my personal preference. But I'm going shopping with my new guy tomorrow to help him buy some clothes, can't wait! :D

*vomits*

It's one thing to encourage openmindedness but quite another, to put people down in order to do it. :mad:

I'll admit that my first instinct is to go for guys taller than me but my ex was about my height (5'8") and I rocked 3-4" heels around him all the time. I actually prefer it now. There's something comforting about hugging someone at eye level.

• Author
you must be EXTREMELY insecure

I can't believe women treat shorter men like ****, find them "unnattractive" even though height doesn't ****ing mean anything, all because of their own INSECURITIES thinking they aren't "feminine" enough. Get some ****ing confidence or something for ****s sake

I ****ing hate women for this reason.

and the problem can be easily solved by him wearing height boosting shoes,

First off, I never said I find shorter men to be unattractive, I just said that being around him was a bit awkward for me since I'm used to dating guys who are alot taller than me. If I found him unattractive I wouldn't be dating him in the first place, I wouldn't have even given him a chance. And I'm not insecure, just stating how I felt about the situation. If I were insecure about being with him then I don't think I'd go out in public with him and stuff. Nope wouldn't do that if I were insecure.

Um, duh. Of course. Women have been used as arm candy for a long time. It's time to turn the tables. Where's the devil smiley? LOL

It's one thing to encourage openmindedness but quite another, to put people down in order to do it. :mad:

Huh?

I don't get it, Isolde. Sorry you don't like me anymore. :(

So here's my story, I've known this guy for about 4 months or so. We were kinda friends for the previous 3 months but didn't talk much because well at the time I had a boyfriend. Anyway fast forward 3 months or so and I find myself single. So we start talking more and more, then hanging out, and finally we decided to just date.

He's a great guy, I mean he's a gentleman, shares the same interests as me, a great conversationalist, and hilarious. Everything about him is great aside from one thing: his height. He's about one inch taller than me which isn't much for a girl like me who loves to wear heels. At first I must admit it was awkward, looking him directly in the eye basically instead of having to look up at him. Actually it still is awkward, mostly because I'm not that tall (only 5'5) and every other guy I've dated has been at least 5'10. I was just wondering what was everyone else's opinion on this. Ladies, if a man had everything you wanted but lacked in the height department, would you still try to date him?

Not a girl but I will tell you this.

If you share so many things in common and have fun together that's good.

IF and ONLY IF he is confident in who he is and there are no insecurities about his height then I say GO FOR IT.

The only time I have seen height really be an issue is with the GUY and not the girl. Men who are confident in who they are and don't judge themselves based on their height will be successful in dating.

It's men who harp about how short the are and let those insecurities ooze through that are bad for dating. Nobody wants to be around an insecure dude with a Napoleon complex.

Huh?

I don't get it, Isolde. Sorry you don't like me anymore. :(

You said the thought of a tall guy and short girl, erm, "dating" made you vomit. I understand you don't want to imagine your roommate "doing it," but you implied that a height discrepancy was gross.

• Author
Not a girl but I will tell you this.

If you share so many things in common and have fun together that's good.

IF and ONLY IF he is confident in who he is and there are no insecurities about his height then I say GO FOR IT.

The only time I have seen height really be an issue is with the GUY and not the girl. Men who are confident in who they are and don't judge themselves based on their height will be successful in dating.

It's men who harp about how short the are and let those insecurities ooze through that are bad for dating. Nobody wants to be around an insecure dude with a Napoleon complex.

Yeah I am happy dating him. Today we went out to the mall together after getting breakfast together. As usual I had lots of fun with him and we laughed alot throughout the day while I helped him pick out some new clothes. I didn't even notice his height the whole day. I guess I am coming around finally and I'm happy that I am, he really is an amazing guy. :)

Also as you mentioned the fact that he doesn't constantly talk about his height really helps. If he did then I definitely would be turned off by it, but he oozes confidence which is so sexy. :)

I'll be honest I had always been shallow about a guy's height. I'm 5'8" and love to wear heels so I am about 5'11" with my shoes. My father is tall, all the men in my family were 6ft+ and I always assumed I have a tall husband.

Well, short men always, always approached me. It was a huge turnoff to me, I didn't want to feel like their mom and I could not imagine myself getting intimate with some little man.

Finally I found this guy that we clicked so well. We loved spending time, going places, etc. It started out as friendship and I ended up marrying him. He's 5'9" so I started wear flats more than heels. I am the same height as him in our wedding pic, (I wore 1" heels).

It was really, really hard for me to start dating him. The height thing was almost a deal breaker, but I am glad I looked past that.

I think there's a difference between a 5'3" girl dating someone her height and a 5'8" girl dating someone her height, though, because 5'8" really isn't that short at all for a man. I guess that's unfair, but I bet many would agree with me.