same sex marriages

I'm kinda missing the reason for the focus on Religion in this thread.

I'll grant that many people's values are influenced by their particular religion, but to blame religion as the reason that gays cannot marry doesn't cut it with me. Surely Athiests and Agnostics marry- without recognition of a supreme being. This is a political issue which is greatly influenced by religious groups. The Catholic church does not excommunicate gays and will not recognize their "marriage" in the eyes of the church. However, they will welcome them into the "flock" as they would anyone else. This too, will change some day. It used to be that one who was divorced, could not be married within the church.

And Midori, we Catholics have not been held to Friday fasting for many years. :)

I object to the homo-phobe terminology. This is a psych manipulation designed to make people who dont agree with homosexuality as acceptable behavior feel as if they are mentally defective. It's designed to shut down the opposition by making them afraid to object. (like all preached political correctness) It is exactly the same behavior as telling a homesexual that he is mentally defective. It is quite possible to disagree with the homosexual life style and not be afraid of it.

As far as same sex marriage and all that. I think most people's problem with the whole thing is that the media portrays homosexuality as if it encompasses 50% of the population. They get more media time than any other group and are represented in popular television at a much higher percentage than reflects the society, so they are already ahead of the curve for media hype.

desegregation, the abolition of slavery, allowing women to vote ... these things are positive things. But the jury of one is still out on the same-sex marriage issue because frankly, I can't see how something like that can work when there are so many things working against it, least of all the "moral absolutes" someone alluded to another post.

no one is telling you that you have to accept it. It's just none of your business

but if there's a legal ruling on the matter, then a bunch of judicial types are telling me that I do have to accept something I don't fully believe in ... saying, legally, I have to accept it. It's not like I'm passing up a serving of peas with my dinner, but that the choices are pea soup or some other soup that's got peas in it. I can pick them out, yes, but it's still soup made with legumes in it.

divorce and the Church is a different matter, because in the eyes of the Catholic church, marriage is a sacramental union as well as a legal one.

Divorces are common among Catholics in this country, but until a church tribunal can prove that the union was not *sacramentally* valid, that person is restricted from receiving communion. He still can go to church. He can even remarry, but he's still kneeling in the pew when everyone else is going up to the altar, and his subsequent marriage is not recognized until the case of the first one is resolved (read: sacramentally annulled).

A promise is a promise … what's the point of making vows that can be undone?

True. However, there has to be certain elements in place for a Catholic marriage to be valid -- no one's being forced against their will into the marriage, that both parties are cognizant of who this sacramental marriage entails, that both are mentally and emotionally capable of living up those vows. It entails a lot of "extra" stuff, and it takes a lot of work to prove that a previous union between two people wasn't valid in the eyes of the church.

not to get snippy with you quankanne

no snipping here, dear, you're just providing me with a very good mental workout in trying to explain myself! ;)

Originally posted by wiseOLDman

I'm kinda missing the reason for the focus on Religion in this thread.

Because it was cited by posters as being a valid source of objection to the legalization of secular gay marriage -- it was suggested that legalization amounted to a violation of the civil rights of those whose religious beliefs condemn homosexuality and/or same-sex marriages.

I'll grant that many people's values are influenced by their particular religion, but to blame religion as the reason that gays cannot marry doesn't cut it with me. Surely Athiests and Agnostics marry- without recognition of a supreme being. This is a political issue which is greatly influenced by religious groups.

Exactly! That's why religion is being cited by some, and must therefore be addressed by the participants in this discussion.

The Catholic church does not excommunicate gays and will not recognize their "marriage" in the eyes of the church. However, they will welcome them into the "flock" as they would anyone else. This too, will change some day. It used to be that one who was divorced, could not be married within the church.

I thought that was still the case... though many find a loophole by having their marriages "annulled."

And Midori, we Catholics have not been held to Friday fasting for many years. :)

yeah, I didn't think so. But it's an excellent rhetorical example for the discussion at hand. Times change, and so do practices. 100 or even 50 years ago I'll bet many Catholics were not so "lax."

though many find a loophole by having their marriages "annulled."

annullment isn't the loophole ... it's the result of a church tribunal which has studied canon law proving that a marriage involving a Catholic party is not sacramentally valid.

OK, one more piece of hair-splitting. One needn't ACCEPT anything that they don't believe in. Acceptance implies agreement. One need only recognize the existence of a piece of legislation. There are numerous laws on the books that any one of us would not agree with, but we are required to recognize them.

Originally posted by quankanne

desegregation, the abolition of slavery, allowing women to vote ... these things are positive things. But the jury of one is still out on the same-sex marriage issue because frankly, I can't see how something like that can work when there are so many things working against it, least of all the "moral absolutes" someone alluded to another post.

People didn't see them as "positives" when they were initiated -- you know that! There were PLENTY of forces against the abolition of slavery and, 100 years later, the civil rights movement.

What are these vague "many things working against" same-sex marriage, besides some people's objections to it? How is that different from those who thought it reasonable to deny women the right to vote? How is that different from those who thought mixing black and white children in schools would lead to disaster?

but if there's a legal ruling on the matter, then a bunch of judicial types are telling me that I do have to accept something I don't fully believe in ... saying, legally, I have to accept it. It's not like I'm passing up a serving of peas with my dinner, but that the choices are pea soup or some other soup that's got peas in it. I can pick them out, yes, but it's still soup made with legumes in it.

Sorry quankanne but you've lost me again. I'm staring at the pea soup trying to see your point, but all I see are peas... (heh heh)

divorce and the Church is a different matter, because in the eyes of the Catholic church, marriage is a sacramental union as well as a legal one.

how is same-sex marriage different? and is legalizing same-sex marriage in the secular world going to affect Catholic or other religious laws pertaining to same-sex marriage? No, it isn't.

Divorces are common among Catholics in this country, but until a church tribunal can prove that the union was not *sacramentally* valid, that person is restricted from receiving communion. He still can go to church. He can even remarry, but he's still kneeling in the pew when everyone else is going up to the altar, and his subsequent marriage is not recognized until the case of the first one is resolved (read: sacramentally annulled).

Right, and that is a problem for Catholics to solve, in whatever way seems right to them. Their condundrum is not the concern of the rest of the country, just as my ability to divorce and remarry numerous times in the Episcopal Church is not the business of Catholics (hooray for Henry VIII)!

A promise is a promise … what's the point of making vows that can be undone?

True. However, there has to be certain elements in place for a Catholic marriage to be valid -- no one's being forced against their will into the marriage, that both parties are cognizant of who this sacramental marriage entails, that both are mentally and emotionally capable of living up those vows. It entails a lot of "extra" stuff, and it takes a lot of work to prove that a previous union between two people wasn't valid in the eyes of the church.

Again, a problem for the Catholics to resolve as they see fit. But the point is that the tricky problem of divorce for Catholics doesn't mean that other Americans shouldn't be able to divorce and re-marry. Those of us who don't believe in Catholic notions of sacrament shouldn't be affected by it -- unless of course they're Catholic! (can you be Catholic and not believe in Catholic notions of sacrament?)

Here's another idea to throw into the mix, regarding marriage practices and religion and violation of civil rights: why did the Mormons have to give up bigamy?

And on that note folks, I'm bowing out, at least for the evening.

I'm sure Catholics have their reasons for thinking that no meat on Fridays is a good thing to do.

Someone has already pointed out that this is no longer the case. As of almost 40 years ago.

Again, just to use Catholic practice as an example: divorce is not possible in the Catholic Church.

Again, untrue. There isn't divorce but there is annulment. Also, Catholics can get divorced in civil courts. What thay cannot do is remarry unless they have obtained an annulment.

because it lessens the integrity of the rights of the people who are in opposition to something like same-sex marriage?

Oh, Quank!!!!!! No it doesn't. In no way does it lessen anybody's integrity!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your integrity derives from within you - it is not externally assigned!!!!!!

but if there's a legal ruling on the matter, then a bunch of judicial types are telling me that I do have to accept something I don't fully believe in ... saying, legally, I have to accept it.

Quank. You have yet to respond to the fact that racism is something that a LOT of people 'fully believe in' to this day and you seem to think the laws against racism are ok.

You may not have noticed, but what you are saying is this: "Laws for things I agree with are OK but laws for things I disagree with are against everybody's civil rights" Do you see this?

(she replied drollishly, "I did preface my initial comments with a squawk, y'alll ....")

Your integrity derives from within you

yes, and therefore I feel battered as I perceive that MY right to hold a contrary opinion is shot down as non-acceptable by someone who just doesn't want to hear an opposing view.

all in all, I'm not squawking about same-sex marriages on the basis of religious beliefs, but because I just don't think that people understand that there might not be an immediate mass effect of a positive nature. Whether or not this accepted legally really isn't the main point, to me: it's the aftermath of it, of how people are going to see that overall, something like this really isn't going to change the minds of people who are dead-set against same-sex marriages, for whatever reasons. As when Midori points out that even with certain advances in society (desegregation, civil rights, women's rights), there's still a problem in the acceptance and perception of these issues. I honestly believe that the community that supports gay rights (like legalizing same-sex marriages) are going to still have problems in finding acceptance simply because it is a sex-based issue. In a lot of people's minds, you cannot help being born a certain race or gender, but a person has a lot of say about the lifestyles they embrace, especially if it pertains to sex ...

Quank. You have yet to respond to the fact that racism is something that a LOT of people 'fully believe in' to this day and you seem to think the laws against racism are ok

see statement above, the part about how people are going to believe what they want to believe, regardless of what the law enforces, and that in a sense, the legal ground a group gains is

weakened by the reality of the full lack of support it has. Laws dictate one thing, beliefs and prejudices another. I'd hoped to point this out in all my ramblings!

What thay cannot do is remarry unless they have obtained an annulment

they cannot remarry in the Catholic Church unless the previous marriage has been annulled; only then is a Catholic sacramentally free to remarry. Tricky and strange, but all perfectly normal within the constraints of Catholic belief.

Those of us who don't believe in Catholic notions of sacrament shouldn't be affected by it -- unless of course they're Catholic!

or about to marry a Catholic, lol. My heathen husband is having a hard time understanding why it's so important for him to get his previous marriages annulled -- no one involved was Catholic, he's not Catholic nor planning to become one, so it shouldn't affect him, yet it does. Damned murky pea soup ...

why did the Mormons have to give up bigamy?

is this like asking why the chicken crossed the road? :p

I think it has something to do with this country only recognizing a "one man-one woman" marriage as the norm. which brings us back to the issue of same sex marriages ...

Originally posted by quankanne

yes, and therefore I feel battered as I perceive that MY right to hold a contrary opinion is shot down as non-acceptable by someone who just doesn't want to hear an opposing view.

Nobody says you cannot have a different view, but to shoot down someones civil rights just because YOU have a different view is not respecting THEIR views. Maybe people had different views about a woman's right to vote and prohibition.

Whether or not this accepted legally really isn't the main point, to me: it's the aftermath of it, of how people are going to see that overall, something like this really isn't going to change the minds of people who are dead-set against same-sex marriages, for whatever reasons.

Some things just take time to get used to. Some people never do. But still, just because some people are dead-set against it, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. And I don't think that homosexuals are really all that concerned with changing the minds of people. They just want to live their lives as everyone else. Sure things are going to be tough, but things are tough in EVERY relationship. So if Bobo next door doesn't accept it, who cares. Maybe I don't accept that Bobo is married to a woman half his age. It's really none of my business.

In a lot of people's minds, you cannot help being born a certain race or gender, but a person has a lot of say about the lifestyles they embrace, especially if it pertains to sex ...

And that be true to you, but I don't think that people can help the fact that they like someone of the same gender. I cannot help the fact that I like men. If someone told me that this is not acceptable and I must like women, I don't think I could. Could you? If this was the societal norm?

Laws dictate one thing, beliefs and prejudices another.

If this was true the KKK would no longer exist, Mathew Sheppard would still be alive,and everyone would be pro-abortion.

how people are going to believe what they want to believe, regardless of what the law enforces, and that in a sense,

So? Quank, if you take that to its logical extension, there would never be any policies aimed at social justice. You are suggesting that society kowtow to the lowest, most prejudiced people since they won't change anyway!!!!!!!!!

Let's see. That means no woman would vote, children could be beaten with equanimity, etc.

The argument that a law should not be made because not everybody will agree with it is not even slightly logical.

This is not the measure of justice; this is the measure of tyranny of the minority.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by moimeme

Nobody's GOD ever said any such thing. Rather, people claiming to speak for God have said this. And people claiming to speak of the Bible have bastardized that same holy book to put forward their policies of hate while ignoring their own hypocricy.

I will again insist that anybody who says he or she lives by 'every word of the Bible' turn to Leviticus - the same chapter in which homosexuality is 'condemned' - and live by EVERY WORD IN THAT CHAPTER. Which means, while they condemn homosexuals they must also stone their disobedient children to death and stone adulterers to death. You either walk your talk or you are a hypocrite. Period.

I wasn't just talking about the various Christians faiths- but all organized religions! There are religions that support all sorts of things that we find strange, or abhorrent, or silly, etc. Do you really believe that the 9/11 terrorists went to heaven and were presented with a bunch (forget how many) of virgins in appreciation of their efforts!

If a person, or 'church', believes that their God-of-choice has claimed a certain act a sin, then it is a sin to that person/church because of their belief. The person/church will act accordingly and a same-sex couple living in that area will feel it. Whether the guy at the hardware store refuses to help them, or the kid that carries the grocery bags to the car always disappears when a gay spouse shows up - to burning crosses on the front lawn, I still hold to my opinion that It doesn't matter what the government does - if a religion does not sanctify a marriage no piece of government paper is going to change that.

I wasn't just talking about the various Christians faiths- but all organized religions! There are religions that support all sorts of things that we find strange, or abhorrent, or silly, etc. Do you really believe that the 9/11 terrorists went to heaven and were presented with a bunch (forget how many) of virgins in appreciation of their efforts!

Yes, but that's the same thing. Islam doesn't say that. Some of their leaders made that one up. That's all I'm saying. The scriptures (ours, theirs, everyone's) say one thing, people who lead those churches interpret that thing in a lot of different ways, including to serve their own agendas.

It doesn't matter what the government does - if a religion does not sanctify a marriage no piece of government paper is going to change that.

That leaves out every atheist! What of all the millions of JP marriages - not to mention the Vegas ones? Golly! I mean, if that is your belief, that is fine, but surely people who don't share that belief ought not be denied the ability to marry because of it?

You are suggesting that society kowtow to the lowest, most prejudiced people

society needs to be represented by ALL, not just the extreme left, the extreme right or various and sundry blips in between. If we're trying to be fair, then we must take into consideration the folks who are against the issue of same-sex marriage, as well, for theirs is a real and valid voice. (BTW, not all of us who don't agree that this kind of legal ruling is going to make a real difference in a real society are disagreeing because we are influenced by our moral/religious/ethical belief system ...)

Me, myself and I just don't see how allowing same-sex marriage is going to make a real difference, save for a very small segment of a very small minority of the population, i.e., folks who happen to be of the same sex and want to seal their relationship with the blessing of the law. Yes, it's a win for letting the Constitution be a living breathing thing that ensures all citizens of the US have their rights protected and represented, but speaking realistically, what's it going to change for the average Joe who could give a rat's rump about someone's lifestyle? Does that make it a real win when you consider the apathy factor?

On the other hand, what about the loonies who will use this as an excuse to call for open season on the folks who are open about living a homosexual lifestyle? We read about people who gun down abortion providers (or even people who work at abortion clinics) because they respect life so much that they want to protect unborn babies, so what happens when someone with a very rigid view of sexuality snaps and starts gunning down gays? How does that not make this legal gain a Pyrrhic victory? Does anyone really want to be a martyr by that method, getting killed because some kook didn't like gays? Look at Nicolaus West, a local boy taken out to a gravel pit by a trio of men because they knew he was gay? I doubt that he ever wanted to be the poster boy by these means ...

Arguing the points of issues of women's rights/equality, abortion or racism really doesn't do anything to aid the argument for gay rights, because there are people who see sexuality as a lifestyle choice, never the matter if a person is genetically programmed to be attracted to the opposite sex or the same sex. I've said it before: to them, there's no argument for gay rights when someone "choses" to live a lifestyle that is contrary to what they believe.

Sex is taboo, but a sacred cow as well.

one last word, and I'll shut up:

Let's see. That means no woman would vote, children could be beaten with equanimity, etc.

obviously, you've never had the pleasure of meeting my one sister. She SHOULD have been beaten with equanimity :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes, it's a win for letting the Constitution be a living breathing thing that ensures all citizens of the US have their rights protected and represented

Well, gosh! That sounds pretty good to me!!!

Quank, your contention seems to still be 'if people are still going to keep on being prejudiced and horrible, then don't make any laws against prejudice because it won't change them'.

I'm just not getting why this should matter. That there will always people who cling firmly to hatred and bigotry is no reason not to enact laws against them. The point of the laws is not to change bigots into tolerant people, it is to protect people from bigotry and to punish bigotry when it is visited upon others. Yes, there are zealots who shoot abortionists, but that doesn't mean those zealots won't end up in jail for it.

It's the same as saying there's no point in making theft a crime because there will always be theft!!!!! Of course you can't change minds and hearts - but you can impose penalties on people who would deny those rights you mentioned in your excellent quote above.

People don't need excuses to gun down others. Some of the worlds greatest hypocrites have been discovered after a violent showdown. Pro-lifers who kill. Homophobes who turn out to be gay after a killing spree.

If people are going to hate I doubt this law will do little to prevent or provoke it. But still everyone has a right to wedded bliss.

Quank, your contention seems to still be 'if people are still going to keep on being prejudiced and horrible, then don't make any laws against prejudice because it won't change them'.

I'm still not sure how NOT supporting same sex marriage is being prejudiced, moimeme, especially when my contention is that this law really isn't going to make a difference to the average Joe, and that it's not going to bring about any real change except for a very small minority of a small minority.

But still everyone has a right to wedded bliss

:)

a nice conclusion if there ever was one. Thanks, Callisto

HokeyReligions

Homosexuals and their supporters preach tolerance and acceptance. Why can't the supporters of equality for homosexuals tolerate and accept that there will always be those who believe it wrong, or bad, or a sin, etc.?

Why does the politician who makes a remark that includes the words "that gay guy is going to go straight to hell" have to make a public apology? The gay politician didn't have to apologize for saying "that straight guy is going straight to hell." (there was a similar thread to this on racism & double standards)

Slapping labels on people is an old psych manipulation technique. Calling someone a "fag" has a whole different connotation than saying "gay" or "homosexual". You get a different mental image or feeling about the person. It's about fostering respect vs. scorn.

If someone expreses their honest belief that homosexuality is "wrong" or is a "sin" and will not accept it as part of their life they are labeled a homo-phobe or some other deragatory label and their belief is disrespected and ridiculed and they are labeled "ignorant." Aren't we allowed our beliefs, and allowed to express our beliefs without losing our jobs, being shunned in civic activities, etc.? If we are to tolerate a gay person stating their feelings/beliefs, and do nothing to them - not fire them, not kick them off the team, etc. then shouldn't we be shown the same tolerance?

I quit labeling people because I can't find one label that wholly fits anyone. There are way too many aspects to every person to fit neatly under one, or even two. labels.

Same-sex marriage:

*spouse will have the legal right to say when to turn off the life-support equipment on their mate.

*alimoney

*prosecution under the law for abuse carries the same penalty (in some cases the penalty or crime is different if a man beats up a woman then what it is if two men, or two women get into a fight)

*marriage penalty in taxes (pay higher taxes)

*accountability for your spouse vs. accountability for a roommate. (there are too many legalities to go into here)

Nothing about a government "approved" same-sex marriage has anything to do with religion. But a religious community that does not accept or tolerate a same-sex marriage could make it difficult. Tolerate and accept are different things.

BTW: I am agnositc and frankly I don't give a rat's a$$ what the government accepts or doesn't here. It's none of my business. I respect gay's rights to join with whomever they want, and I respect those who believe it is a sin and are tired of having it shoved down their throats whenever they open a paper or turn on the news.

It would be nice if my friend could let his employer know that he's gay without losing his job -- but the second that it's known he will be terminated and not allowed to teach in HISD again. (He teaches middle school history and is one of the best and most popular teachers there)

Originally posted by HokeyReligions

Why does the politician who makes a remark that includes the words "that gay guy is going to go straight to hell" have to make a public apology?

Because the politicians serve in our public interests. An elected official cannot make comments like that. You know this.

If someone expreses their honest belief that homosexuality is "wrong" or is a "sin" and will not accept it as part of their life they are labeled a homo-phobe or some other deragatory label and their belief is disrespected and ridiculed and they are labeled "ignorant." Aren't we allowed our beliefs, and allowed to express our beliefs without losing our jobs, being shunned in civic activities, etc.?

I hate to say it, but it is just like saying, "women are sinners", "asians can't drive", "Mexicans are lazy", and "Caucasions can't dance"....stating "homosexuality is "wrong" or a "sin is an unfair stereotype. Telling this to your children promotes intolerance. Men who are paranoid that a homosexual wants to jump their bones are just as bad as the people who believe that if a black man carries a boombox he must have stolen it.

Originally posted by HokeyReligions

Why does the politician who makes a remark that includes the words "that gay guy is going to go straight to hell" have to make a public apology? The gay politician didn't have to apologize for saying "that straight guy is going straight to hell." (there was a similar thread to this on racism & double standards)

oh Hokey, I think Barney Frank would have to apologize if he ever uttered such a remark.

Now, if one of the Fab Five on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy proclaimed that one of their blundering students was going to burn in hell for owning pleated-front chinos (which is a cardinal sin, by the way), you're right. I'll bet no one would demand they apologize.

Slapping labels on people is an old psych manipulation technique. Calling someone a "fag" has a whole different connotation than saying "gay" or "homosexual". You get a different mental image or feeling about the person. It's about fostering respect vs. scorn.

sorry, but what's your point here? That a politician should be able to express his sincere opinion about a gay man's prospects in the afterlife without having to apologize? One has to wonder why said politician imagines that anyone gives a tinker's damn what he thinks about anyone's prospects in the afterlife (including his own). But yes, do let him speak. Let him speak loud and clear. So that people will see the ugliness behind the facade of pious concern and intelligence.

If someone expreses their honest belief that homosexuality is "wrong" or is a "sin" and will not accept it as part of their life they are labeled a homo-phobe or some other deragatory label and their belief is disrespected and ridiculed and they are labeled "ignorant."

That's right. Because in other people's world view, those who believe that homosexuality is a "lifestyle choice" that is "wrong" and a "sin" and will cause people who "choose" it to burn in hell are ignorant. It's as simple as that. One side thinks the other are sinners, or condoners of sin, the other side thinks the former is ignorant and bigoted. And since there are many flavors of bigotry, the more common ones get specific names: racist, anti-Semite, misogynist... and yes, homophobe.

Aren't we allowed our beliefs, and allowed to express our beliefs without losing our jobs, being shunned in civic activities, etc.?

Are you saying, then, that you would welcome into your social circle the head of your local KKK chapter? Eat out with him? Chat with him in the supermarket? Well of course not -- that's why they wear those hoods! They know that expressing their beliefs publicly would lead to being shunned. Because our society has largely reached the point where racism is universally condemned, at least in public. Does anyone feel any sympathy for the poor, thwarted racists who must now gnash their teeth when they see playgrounds full of black, Latino, Asian and white children playing together? I feel pity for their ignorance, but no pity at all for the fact that they must bite their tongues in almost any public setting.

If we are to tolerate a gay person stating their feelings/beliefs, and do nothing to them - not fire them, not kick them off the team, etc. then shouldn't we be shown the same tolerance?

Is this a facetious question? Do gay people typically go around announcing how much they can't STAND straight people (aka "breeders" if we wanted to use a more insulting term on a par with "fag")?

What are these "feelings/beliefs" that gay people express that must be tolerated? Or is it their existence that you feel must be tolerated?

Nothing about a government "approved" same-sex marriage has anything to do with religion. But a religious community that does not accept or tolerate a same-sex marriage could make it difficult. Tolerate and accept are different things.

Somewhere, somehow we've picked up the erroneous idea that legalization means that people must accept same sex marriages. No one has suggested that anyone has to change their minds. If all the religious organizations within 100 square miles agree that they will never perform or acknowledge same-sex unions, fine! But a gay couple can get married in the courthouse. None of the fine, upstanding, big-hearted religious folk who are offended by the notion of a gay marriage have to a) attend the wedding, b) acknowledge that Jim and Joe are married -- i.e. address invitations to them as Mr. and Mr. Joe and Jim Smith (as if they would be invited!), or c) allow Jim or Joe to darken the door of their holy place of worship.

BTW: I am agnositc and frankly I don't give a rat's a$$ what the government accepts or doesn't here. It's none of my business. I respect gay's rights to join with whomever they want, and I respect those who believe it is a sin and are tired of having it shoved down their throats whenever they open a paper or turn on the news.

So you know what those people who don't like "Will and Grace" or "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" should do? They should turn off their televisions! What a radical notion! Or watch another channel. My goodness!

I'm offended every time I see another BIG FAT GAS GUZZLING S.U.V. advertised. I think the manufacturers, advertisers, retailers and customers ought to be fined 2x's the cost of the vehicle. I think that THEY are going to burn in hell. Or I would if I believed in hell. And guess what -- they're allllll over the television.

Actually do you know what's even worse than those commericals is that evil one of the couple shot in black and white in Venice, where he shouts out "I..Love..This..Woman" and she doesn't say anything until he gives her a diamond ring for her right hand (cos she's already got a rock on her left, which he gave her, naturally). And after she puts the ring on she whispers "I love this man." Because, one is left to assume, he gave her a diamond ring.

Evil.

It would be nice if my friend could let his employer know that he's gay without losing his job -- but the second that it's known he will be terminated and not allowed to teach in HISD again. (He teaches middle school history and is one of the best and most popular teachers there)

Yes, wouldn't it be nice? And then maybe his students and the community as a whole could benefit from knowing someone who is openly gay and does a marvelous job contributing to the community. And then maybe gays wouldn't seem so scary.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by moimeme

Yes, but that's the same thing. Islam doesn't say that. Some of their leaders made that one up. That's all I'm saying. The scriptures (ours, theirs, everyone's) say one thing, people who lead those churches interpret that thing in a lot of different ways, including to serve their own agendas.

I think we are talking about the same thing, but in different ways. A church or sect (whatever you want to call it) tht interprets same-sex marriage as a negative, sin, whatever, will serve their God based on their interpretation. Just because two groups interpret the same religion in different ways doesn't make either one wholly right, or wholly wrong. Those who are anti-gay may treat a couple who have married according to government law as single people and not allow them the same privileges as they would a married couple. A gay couple can walk into a church with a marriage certificate issued by the government - said certificate granting the couple the same civil rights and restrictions as a hetero couple - and not not allow them to partipate in a couples only retreat for example, because whatever laws or beliefs that govern the church does not automatically accept civil sanctions. I don't see where there is a definate right or wrong to this. People are entitled (I hate that word 'entitled' but can't think of a better one) to believe and worship the way they want as long as it does not hurt anyone else. Even if it means the church seems to 'discriminate' against a group of people. The discrimination is on a secular level - not a religious one.

I'm not saying that I think all, or a majority, or any churches do this - but an organized religion governs itself and does not have to accept the edicts of the government when the governments civil laws are in violation of the churches laws. Catholics don't believe in abortion - but the government says its okay.

That leaves out every atheist! What of all the millions of JP marriages - not to mention the Vegas ones? Golly! I mean, if that is your belief, that is fine, but surely people who don't share that belief ought not be denied the ability to marry because of it?

I was married at the JP. If there were a church that did not recognize my marriage because of that - then that is their right to do so based on their own beliefs. It would not invalidate my marriage.

Two of my friends made a vow to each other - an almost identical, word-for-word vow as what I took. To them, to their friends and family, they are married. They took their vows in a ceremony presided over by a christian minister who believes that the love and the committment are just as real, as valid, as that of a heterosexual couple. The church does not recognize it officially - but accepts and nourishes them. The government does not recognize it. The marriage certificate is not an official license, sanctioned by the government -- but stands as a written, tangible sign of their devotion and commitment.

The "right to marry" depends on who you ask. What is right in one place may not be right in another. Its a good example of the separation of church and state. I don't think it is the place of a church, any church, to dictate to any civil government what the civil laws should be. They can lobby - just as anyone can - to promote their agenda. I also don't think it is the governments place to tell a church what their laws should be.

Back to the original topic & what my opinion on gay marriage is -- I don't care. It doesn't make any difference to me. If it were on a ballot I would probably vote for it.