Exercise to tone up but NOT lose weight?

I'm a bit underweight and actually want to gain 5 Ibs, but at the same time I'm not toned enough for my liking. I want to get back into regular exercise for several reasons, but I've heard running (my favorite) would make me just look thinner. I've heard weight lifting is the best way to look toned without losing weight. I am looking to tone my upper arms a little bit and maybe gain some strength in the chest, stomach and butt area, without getting that "hard" look.

Any suggestions on a particular routine that might work, incorporating some weights and also some cardio, without overdoing it?

Your best bet to avoid much weight loss is to monitor your caloric intake. You're going to want to keep that on a pretty even keel to what you burn during the day or else you'll drop weight.

The good news is that muscle weighs more the fat, to gain 5 lbs in muscle isn't all that hard to do. To keep things toned, yet not ripped, you'll want to stay on the light side of the weights. But do more reps with the lighter weight. So instead of 3 sets of 8-10 reps with moderate to heavy weight you might want to do 2 sets of 15-20 reps with light weight and finish that with one set of 8-10 reps at moderate weight. That is just to keep your muscles guessing so they don't peak and plateau so quickly.

I'd focus first on your core. Chest, midsection, shoulders and back. Those core muscles control everything. Get those rocking and you'll be able to tone your arms up in no time. In fact, toning your shoulders is much easier than your physical arm due to very little fat content on your shoulder muscles, so it is much easier to get the muscle to pop a bit. A toned shoulder can give your whole arm a very nice slender toned look.

Eat a 5lb cheesesteak and you'll gain 5 lbs temporarily :)

More seriously though, if you run 1-3 times a week for 1-2 miles you won't lose weight if you maintain your current diet. You are more likely to become more toned with you body weight being distributed more equally over your body.

If you run 3-4 times a week for 2-4 miles and 2-3 times a week while maitaining your diet you should be losing your weight, especially if you run at a slower pace and not entering the "cardio zone".

What I'd do is free weights and develop core as mentioned above and do some running but not excessive. Also, make SURE to drink enough water when exercising. I consume anwhere from 2 liters to 4 liters of water when running / excercising and it does add a few pounds ... could be those 5 you're looking for.

Do a pilates class or learn some exercises off the internet and do it at home!

It's perfect for those of us who don't want to drastically lose weight or bulk up, but simply tone and increase flexibility and core strength.

Don't neglect a good leg workout. Squats and leg presses promote muscle development and strength throughout your entire body.

Lift weights to gain muscle/mass.

Do cardio to burn fat and trim down.

Sounds like you should do both to achieve your goal.

If that's you in your pic, you're crazy and you're hot the way you are so don't worry about it. :)

sunshinegirl

I'd recommend rock climbing - it will tone every muscle group you mention, and more! My arms are pretty chiseled at this point - not bulky, but absolutely toned and strong.

Beyond that, though, it's an activity that is very fun; you meet new people, you learn a new sport/hobby, and it becomes an almost-forgotten side benefit that your body gets in shape from doing it.

Well, low weight and high reps will make you look toned, but will probably make you lose weight. It's true that muscle weighs more than fat, but if you don't want your face to look gaunt, no matter how much muscle you put on it's not going to help.

If that's the case then maybe it'd be better to lift a medium or heavy weight with low reps, but just once a week so you don't put on too much muscle, and maybe that would be enough to tone you up?

• Author
Well, low weight and high reps will make you look toned, but will probably make you lose weight. It's true that muscle weighs more than fat, but if you don't want your face to look gaunt, no matter how much muscle you put on it's not going to help.

If that's the case then maybe it'd be better to lift a medium or heavy weight with low reps, but just once a week so you don't put on too much muscle, and maybe that would be enough to tone you up?

Yeah, I am not a fan of gaunt-face. I'll definitely start out slow.