Will Your Marriage Crash and Burn?

When I look at successfull 50+ year marriages I have found the woman wears the trousers ... I dont know why

Very interesting. My ex said I wasn't demanding enough. Apparently, his current wife doesn't let him get away with things I let him get away with.

Trialbyfire
True love is not destructive. But blind infatuation can be.
We're polar opposites in how we view life and love. For me, love is a two-way street. If it's not, it's blind infatuation and many times, it's destructive for the individual who's love isn't requited. For me, love has to be consistently fueled, not by trying to force a square peg into a round hole but wanting to fuel it, so it's easy, like brushing your teeth on a daily basis. That's true love, not the narcissistic supply who fuels the narcissist. Believe me, I know the difference! :laugh:

I believe that true love does not require the recipient to return it; nor does true love require encasement inside a marriage in order to thrive. The love still exists, regardless of what the recipient does or which social structure is in place. Real love doesn't expect anything in return.

But (to bring this back on-topic) I do not believe in the idea of reliable early indicators about whether a marriage will last. Marriages last (or not) for a variety of reasons - as many reasons as there are people, really - and that alone makes predictions about it a crapshoot.

And anyway, just because a marriage DOES last doesn't mean it's a happy one. The longevity of a marriage does not necessarily indicate that it's successful. Sometimes, a crashing and burning marriage ends up being a good thing... although I wouldn't wish going thru a divorce on my worst enemy. Divorce really really sucks.