Will Your Marriage Crash and Burn?

Just saws this on Yahoo...sure it's from Cosmo but I agree with it and have even said some of this myself.

Anyway, it's food for thought if nothing else.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/confessions-of-a-wedding-planner-5-signs-a-couple-will-crash-and-burn-478684/

Feel free to add your own. I'd add:

Bride Freaks over the Small Stuff...not a good sign. Not indicative of a person who can weather storms that come along in any marriage.

OMG.. this is funny.... anyone can add a zillion things that a marriage will crash... because one out of 2 (according to stats.. not MY stats) will end in divorce.. but not over a wedding cake or the wedding dress... :rolleyes:

Come on... this is Disney club stuff... :rolleyes:

Hey, if you read it in Cosmopolitan, it's gotta be true.

Of course.. Cosmo is the relationship bible..

• Author

Uhm...guys see above. I already made fun of the source. Doesn't mean I don't agree with it. Because I do. Doesn't mean it's not valid.

Sure one out of two marriages fail. But there are certain indicators, in my view, that tell me that it WILL fail. And sorry, but yeah...wedding cakes etc. and how they are handled ARE an indicator in my book. It goes to how well you compromise and negotiate. Nothing "DisneyWorld" about THAT.

I think it's just plain crazy if the bride doesn't include the groom in the planning of the wedding. Most men are just as interested in planning, if not more! :laugh:

I agree with the bride freaking over petty stuff - a red flag to me.

I can't think of anything right now as I am taking one day at a time with my wedding :D. I'm in no hurry.

Trialbyfire

It's less about the wedding cake and more about how the two of you feel about each other, in other words, how much you respect the other person's wishes, desires and most importantly needs. That's the iron hand comment they made in the article.

Which is why people who can't compromise when negative emotions are high, shouldn't be together. Either one or both isn't willing to respect the other or give.

• Author
It's less about the wedding cake and more about how the two of you feel about each other, in other words, how much you respect the other person's wishes, desires and most importantly needs. That's the iron hand comment they made in the article.

Which is why people who can't compromise when negative emotions are high, shouldn't be together. Either one or both isn't willing to respect the other or give.

Exactly. At least someone here gets it.:rolleyes:

Oh and Lyssa..you get it too.;)

Trialbyfire
Exactly. At least someone here gets it.:rolleyes:

I have good reason to "get" it. Click on my profile and you'll see why! :laugh:
  • Author
I have good reason to "get" it. Click on my profile and you'll see why! :laugh:

Oh wow. He's very handsome, TBF. Better looking than your ex, IMO. Nice jaw line. Verrrry nice.

Trialbyfire
Oh wow. He's very handsome, TBF. Better looking than your ex, IMO. Nice jaw line. Verrrry nice.
I'll pass that onto him! He hates having his pic taken so he won't smile, which is a shame. His smile's amazing, very boyish, sweet and bad, all at the same time.

Anyways, I do understand what that article is trying to say. I don't agree with all the points as indicators, necessarily but that last one about harshly fighting in front of the wedding planners, is to me, a done deal of a predictable dissolution.

• Author

TBF, the fact that he doesn't enjoy having his pic taken is a good sign. Yep.

Yes, the article made some good points overall.

Great article and TBF your fiance is ferkin GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You lucky lucky girl!

Bloody hell I had to have another look hahahha x

Great article and TBF your fiance is ferkin GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You lucky lucky girl!

Bloody hell! I feel left out! :laugh::p

TBF, the fact that he doesn't enjoy having his pic taken is a good sign. Yep.

Why is that, Touche? Does it mean something if a man or woman doesn't enjoy taking his/her pics taken?

• Author

Lyssa, about the pic thing...it just tells me that he's not an egotistical, narcissistic jerk.

Edited to add that just because someone likes having their pic taken, it doesn't mean that they ARE but yeah...it's a good sign that they don't, imo.

Hey,

Yeah, good points.

I remember this:

5. The Bride and Groom Fight in Front of Me

When we went to rent an apt with my new husband...

He started an argument with me in front of the manager, and pretty much lost his temper right there.

And not only did I know that it was never going to work, now the new manager renting the apt knew that the days were counted.

But we are still friends though..

Lyssa, about the pic thing...it just tells me that he's not an egotistical, narcissistic jerk.

Edited to add that just because someone likes having their pic taken, it doesn't mean that they ARE but yeah...it's a good sign that they don't, imo.

Yeah, I thought that could be what you meant by your comment.

What do you think about those who have second thoughts about marriage AFTER they have gotten married? Why is it that some people fail to see that they are not ready?

If it were me, I would not let myself tie the knot if I am not ready. I don't think it's fair for everyone involved.

• Author
Yeah, I thought that could be what you meant by your comment.

What do you think about those who have second thoughts about marriage AFTER they have gotten married? Why is it that some people fail to see that they are not ready?

If it were me, I would not let myself tie the knot if I am not ready. I don't think it's fair for everyone involved.

I think some people don't really think much beyond the WEDDING. They aren't really emotionally equipped to weather the storms, etc. that come along in a marriage.

They don't WANT to think too much beyond that. They want instant gratification...thinking only of the near future and not much beyond that.

I think some people don't really think much beyond the WEDDING. They aren't really emotionally equipped to weather the storms, etc. that come along in a marriage.

They don't WANT to think too much beyond that. They want instant gratification...thinking only of the near future and not much beyond that.

Personally, I think that's not a good mentality to have. I tend to think too much about what's beyond marriage or even anything in my life - I can't help it :o. By thinking too much, it's more about how to make things work, or how I could make things better if I were to be in this situation, that situation etc.

Lauriebell82

Oh yeah, I read that in Cosmo. Some good points, I'd probably add that it's a bad sign if the bride doesn't take the groom's opinions or ideas into account.

Trialbyfire

Thanks Lishy.

Va-va-freakin'-voooom, TBF! No wonder you're so into him! :laugh::love:

Hey, he's got what it takes on the inside, which combined with a "pretty" outside, makes him a keeper! ;):love:

I'll pass on both your comments. Since his head isn't too big to fit through the door type, he'll appreciate it. :)

I do have to dispute the MIL comment. We both welcome his Mom's interest in the wedding. It's really nice to see the Momzillas bonding. They are oh, so bad together! :D

I'm not getting a wedding planner, is that a rare thing to do? People seem surprised by it.

• Author

Please feel free to disagree with points made in the article and/or add your own.

TBF it's great that the moms are getting along.