my parents are to disown me!

mistletoe

• Author

to creeks:

my parents are first generation christians, brought up in a strictly traditional conservative home. and divorce is definitely not in my dictionary, neither my bf's.

You're a Christian (at least that's what you claim yourself to be) and you're not suppoed to fall for a Muslim.

perhaps that IS true, and it's also debatable. but God didn't say, "Parents, disown your children if they have interfaith marriages/decide to (in a christian context) worship another God"

Yes, I am unsure about the outcome of all that matter(after deciding to wed) , whether I might regret/lose respect for myself. I know that if i don't have him around the next day, i might just have nothing left/or kids/or his family?. At least, I still do have him now.

you've opened up my mind to think deeper into what i need to know what i'm handling. thanks for this insight.

to whichwayisup:

his family and i get along pretty well with one another. I won't convert if he tells me to, but i'll convert only if i've made up my mind to, in the end.

My parents might/might not be overreacting, but I strongly believe they are especially protected over me (because sadly, i'm the youngest) but also, the boldest:o, maybe:)

i know a relationship isn't only just she and her partner alone, but everyone involved, family etc etc.

but a relationship's primary important people is the couple themselves, marriage is between the two, not for those around.the rest are perhaps, secondary. (?)

to Lyssa:

i feel happy for you and your bf:) i wish i had such a supporting family too. yes, i agree some people think Islam as a terrible sore, which i never agreed on. every religion has its twisted manipulated view of the world, as for christians, the crusades(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades), who killed millions in the past. and christians having mutiple denominations and bible translations.

to kikiw

i might still be young, but nonetheless it doesn't make me immature, i'm taking this decision seriously and i do have quite a tiny brave heart:)

to disgracian

If you believe that god speaks to anybody, then let him speak to you directly

I'm praying that if it is true, God please speak to me directly. i thought about it the umpteenth time.

I read the stories, and they are true, based on the Bible.

If you converted for any other reason, wouldn't there be a nagging voice in the back of your head reminding you that you don't really believe in Islam? My experience with people (as well as myself) is that you can try this and it might even work for a while, but you will revert to your original beliefs.

If i should convert, I might do it for my partner AND my belief in it. I might/might not be able to let go of entirely of Christianity, after growing up with it for the past 20 years. I know the weakest thing anyone can do about conversion, is to do it for her partner ALONE.

to doushenka

yes, God did say to Love one another!:)

• Author

just a question to all:confused:

do any of you believe in fortune telling? how true/untrue to the extend is it? (i know its a very vague question)

a few years ago, my bf went to a fortune teller casually with some of his friends at a theme park.they were having fun it was during halloween and somehow the fortune teller predicted that he'll marry twice.

strange.

mistletoe,

Theme park fortune tellers are there to entertain. Nothing more or less. These days, predicting at least one divorce does not take any extraordinary powers...one just needs to know the statistics.

I do believe that there is wisdom available through psychic experiences, but not from theme park fortune tellers. I don't believe a belief in psychic phenomena has anything to do with whether one is Christian or non. But I know that some Christians believe it against their beliefs to believe in psychics :confused:

• Author

perhaps they are a load of rubbish, but there're people out there who have seen fortune telling come true.

it doesn't matter if one is Christian or not:confused:

Some of them will come true simply because of the law of averages. Throw enough guesses out there backed up by a little bit of intuition and some of them will inevitably find their mark. That isn't exactly an endorsement of the method though, because many more will be wrong.

Cheers,

D.

to wuggle: Either way,if we marry and abandon all religion or if he converts, he will be despised and ridiculed by the Muslim community and his family will probably react the same way as mine did.

to disgracian: no i'm definitely not ready to face the fact that i will be tormented in hell (i do still have a strong belief in that) and I just don't know how to face conversion. I remembered i told my partner that I might just convert because of him, for this relationship. there're too many things just weighing my decision down but i can't let go of him.

to kikiw,trialbyfire, wuggle, trimmer:

you see, in my parents' points of view, they see it as humble servants carrying out their duties to tell me the word of God: that God said NOT to be unequally yoked and not to carrying on, lest "it will lead to a road of destruction" and they're warning me, from the power of the Holy spirit. I cannot say they are wrong in this because if GOD really spoke to them, I'll be putting God to question and doubting him, which I definitely cannot say that God is Wrong. they even told me stories about the bible(if you know these) King Jehoshaphat and King Ahab and King Solomon, how their sins came upon them and God took their lives away. I had nothing to say then:(

creeks: i understand the point ure getting at,thats why its troubling me that i'll lose my family. before monday morning, i was the closest child to them, the noisiest and happiest thing in the house. but now i feel a blanket of silence has come upon me.

to all:i really appreciate everything, even the time u took for reading this.

My dear mistletoe,

Dearie, I love you. And I hope everything goes well with you. You're young, still a teenager, and have much down the road in store for you. Things might not be the same in the future. It might be brighter, it might be black. But for now, take care of yourself. Gather yourself wisdom and knowledge to face the uncertainty. Get a degree, get yourself a job, if you need to get closer to your and your bf's religion then by all means go, and take things slowly as it come. The time might be not right now, but it will be for you to decide.

And I firmly am against your comment on the evil of conversion. Look practicably at this, who is God? What does He value? God loves the good, and the good goes on to do good deeds. It doesn't matter what religion you are. If you continue to keep your self-worth, keep your conscience, love your family, love your friends, love the stranger, love your enemy, no one could die unhappy with this. God loves the good. Not Christians who don't convert, not Muslims who don't convert.And the bible is a construction of different interpretations warped by centuries of editing, by different people with different views, who came up with their own writings of its tales. There's a a saying, when given a diamond, you have to question it, as a smith would do, try to break it; to test the diamond. If you doubt me, find out for yourself the true meaning of Christianity.

And good luck in your exams.

• Author

thanks everyone for your responses and comments:), it did help me to gain a better perspective of where i am heading to and weighing my choices. i really appreciate them all.please feel free to let me know how you feel on this matter, i'm sure a third party's point of view will clear the blurry sights better. God bless!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hubby and I were disowned entirely after we got pregnant as teenagers. It hurt like crazy and was hard...especially around holidays, etc. But you know what, 16 years later I have a great family and my husband is still by my side.

After about 5 years, his parents realized we could care less and that they could just throw their tantrums without us. Eventually, they started to call and wanted to visit the kids here and there.

I made the right choice and I am sure you will also.