Found my dad's weed... HOLY HYPOCRISY

Punkage

missdependant
If you find his baggie take it.

If he accuses you of taking it ask him in astonishment "YOU smoke POT??!"

And sell it to your friends.. you'll have some extra money, and he'll never know what really happened to it.

Seriously though kid.. you're 16. You're going to get frustrated with your parents logic, you'll question authority and you'll get curious about certain things. Pot being one of them. Follow his rules, as he IS your parent. He should lead by example, but sadly this isn't the case for everyone. And I'm not your dad, or the one raising you. The way a person chooses to be a parent is personal.

At 16, you're practically an adult.. so make decisions as an adult. If he plans on kicking you out of the house for smoking pot, then don't do it.

blind_otter

To everyone else, I honestly don't feel like marijuana is a terrible drug. I'm not bothered that he smokes it... and even more than the fact that I know it wouldn't be okay for me, what bothers me is the lack of honesty. Because I'm a kid I don't deserve the truth? My mom has told me my dad doesn't smoke anymore. Like it's a big deal, why shouldn't I know?

There are some things that children don't have any business knowing about their parents.

I don't have a problem with pot at all, but I feel that it is important to sort of get closer to the point where your brain is fully developed before you indulge. Just my opinion.

My Dad smoked cigarettes until he died of lung cancer. When I started smoking cigarettes at age 14 and he caught me, I said "I'll quit if you do." He refused. He died of lung cancer. I quit smoking when he died.

I realize now that my Dad was probably not capable of being strong enough at that point, to quit smoking...but he wanted something better for me. I almost kept smoking to punish him for his hypocrisy - but why should I punish him because he didn't want me to suffer the consequences of a choice that he had made as well?

He wants things to be better for you. He loves you. He is a human being, fallible and weak, but he wants you to be better than he is. He probably couldn't think of a way to communicate this to you. It's hard when you look at your child and remember the tiny, helpless baby that you did everything for.

I am a mom of teens and I have been known to smoke a bit of weed now and then..I dont let my kids know tho..I know that dont sound right but its kind of one of those times when parents say do what I say not what I do..Your dad may just be concerned about you getting involved with drugs at your age...

I just waited until I went to college before trying anything. My mom is fully aware of it all too and is cool with it, since I am an otherwise responsible person who has always done well in school, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
thegoodlife

My mom covered for my stepdad.

He had always smoked pot, and looking back, he may have even smoked it right in front of me when I was a small child, but I was too young and too naive to know the difference between cigarettes and pot.

It wasn't until I was about 17 that I had learned to recognize the smell of pot and it was constantly coming through the vents from the basement. When I questioned my mom about it, WHILE it was happening (like mom do you smell that?) she played dumb and it pissed me the hell off. I could see one thing if I was a child and she wanted to protect me, but by 17 I felt there was no need to lie anymore. It was another year or two before she even came around to admitting it to me (and by that I mean complaining to me about his use).

So, I know where you're coming from, at that age you just expect the same type of honesty your parents expect from you. Don't really have any advice though, think it's just one of those situations of 'that's just the way it is'. Unless you want to try and talk to your dad about it.

It is frustrating to see my now 11 and 13 year old brothers starting to catch on, and actually catching my stepdad smoking a few times too, and my mom once again lying through her teeth and playing dumb. And he doesn't smoke cigarettes anymore either, so they can't use that as a cover up.

blind_otter

So, I know where you're coming from, at that age you just expect the same type of honesty your parents expect from you.

Maybe it is just the Western way of parenting that children nowadays seem to think they are entitled to the same treatment as an adult, or that they are entitled to know everything about their parents' lives. I know that there was a lot about their lives that my parents didn't share with me and personally, I never thought it was any of my business, maybe because that's what my parents taught me.

We were always drilled with the idea that until you are supporting yourself fully and living in your own home, you are not considered an adult and therefore not entitled to the privileges associated with that status.

Truth be told, I don't really want to know all the details of my parents' lives.

I mean, am I going to Lord it over them when they do things that I don't approve of? Would I want that treatment from them?

thegoodlife

I certainly don't think that a 16 year old should be treated as an adult/know everything about their parents lives at all.

But if you know for a fact that your father is smoking pot and your parents are lying to your face about it- I think that's pretty stupid. You already know, and it's no big deal so why keep lying and trying to cover it up?

Ruby Slippers

Dude, at 16, your brain is not even fully formed yet. You're still growing and becoming a fully functional human body. Once you get all grown up, do what you want, but don't mess with your brain chemistry during an important formative stage. That's like wearing a crutch when you're learning to walk.

If you find his baggie take it.

If he accuses you of taking it ask him in astonishment "YOU smoke POT??!"

You really shouldn't do this with your dad, but... I laughed so hard at this. Good answer, good answer.