2 1/2 year old daughter using the 'F' word

SteveNChicago

Had you considered that even though you are not those things, you might be other, and better things had you not been spanked or punished with pain?

Yeah, I'd probably be a spoiled rotten pain in the ass.

Not everyone knows where to draw the line. Child abuse happens. Angry people loose control - it happens all the time. Off course this does not apply to everyone, most parents spank sometimes and there are usually no ill effects. How do we prevent people crossing the line unless we say we should all try never to do it? How do you work out what is reasonable force? If we have the right not to be hit why don't those more vulnerable than us? Spanking is illegal in Scotland - I don't see a Nation of selfish people there. There have been countless studies since the 1960s in child psychology that show that there are more effective ways to discipline children than spanking.

In point of fact, it's impossible to guess at what people would be like had some aspect of their upbringing been altered. It is possible that Kevin would be a better person if he had not been spanked. It's possible he'd be less of a person. It's possible he'd just be different but not necessarily better or worse. And it's possible he'd be exactly who he is now.

It is equally ridiculous to state that a person would be other, better things if he hadn't been spanked as it is to claim he'd be spoiled rotten. There is no way to know which claim, if either, is accurate. And it is pretty rude to go around offering up one's opinion.

It's a common fallacy to assert that there is damage in those practices we don't believe in. I don't personally believe in spanking, but my reasons are based on many factors, including my moral code, what kind of parenting style I have decided to adopt, etc. Much as I believe in the rightness of my decision as it applies to my family, I recognize that there is no *one* right way to raise children and claiming that folks who do it differently than I do have somehow harmed their kids or prevented them from being something better than they are is a judgement I am not qualifed to make.