• Author
TwinkletOes26
Fantastic post, Lonely.

All I hear from the OP are excuses and really out of place priorities. Your comments provide fantastic guidance.

Another option, OP: serving or cocktail waitressing. You can wear whatever eyeshadow you want, and make pretty decent money. That's how I paid my way through undergrad (car payment, apartment, and all!).

Excuses? How i could see if i say around and said "well i cant get work but i havent attended job fairs ,handed out resumes,checked the newspaper daily" I have and i have continued to. I am not giving up. Ive signed up with a temp agency that im meeting with monday so um what more do you want me to do?

I apologized to you about the e/s so i dont know why you are still holding an e-grudge. Oh well i was ranting nothing more so you can continue this conversation if you want to. I will not be coming back to this thread again. Ive said all i had to say. I know what i am doing vs not so again attempts to make me feel bad arent working.

I dont let people that live inside my computer rile me up emotionally.

Ok have a lovely sunday afternoon all no hard feelings i hope :).

Star Gazer

Excuses, yes.

You've been unemployed for a year. IMO, there's no justification for that, given that there are plenty of jobs out there than you can survive on. They're just not the jobs YOU want.

I have a theory, one that I know many employers agree with. It's better for a job candidate to have a lame job and be EMPLOYED than to sitting around waiting for the perfect job to appear. You'll be more likely to get hired if you're working at McDonald's to earn a living than you are if you've been sitting on your rump for a year.

Lucky_One

Twinkletoes, the rule of thumb for someone who is looking for a job is to get up every morning early, take a shower, dress fully, and spend 8 hours a day in job hunting.

Here's an article from Forbes about internships, and their vast importance to a job search, even though you think doing an unpaid internship is worthless to your future.

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-from_intern_to_employee-855

Here's an article talking about 5 FREE ways to continue learning during your job search (to include volunteering and unpaid internships).

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-5_free_hot_spots_for_job_skills_training-834

A GREAT article on finding your first job. And yes, it includes temp agencies. (and of course, volunteering and internships)

http://careers.stateuniversity.com/pages/846/How-Get-Your-First-Job.html

Typically headhunters or professional job sites will tell you not to take just any old job offered. But they are also assuming that you have 6 months worth of living expenses in the bank, health insurance through your spouse or COBRA, a car, and job experience. You are not that lucky. A headhunter WILL tell you to take the first job if your life is a mass of red ink with nothing black in sight. What color is your life? What color are your assets?

Good luck, Twinkle. I really mean that. i think you believe that we are just a bunch of meanies, but I wouldn't be taking the time to post all this if I was being cruel; I have a busier life than that. Sending out online resumes for a year is NOT the way to get a job. Yes, the temp office is great, but it is a year behind the times. Go out there and apply for anything - get some cash, get a car, get some experience. And then your life will have more meaning, and the ranting won't be necessary.

Im saying that I NEED more money than minimum wage. FYI there havent been any job opportunities that have presented itself. I was asking about e/s colors as part of me preparing for the business world.

I refuse to get a unpaid internship because i need money.No one is paying my student loans i have had to keep getting them defered because i still havent found a job. Im not expecting to be rewarded for going to college. I said i feel like im being punished because most places i see online and in the newspaper want 2-5 yrs experience.

You dont realize that i have a LOT of student loans to pay off. The college i attended was expensive. So i had to take out several school loans. Like i said im not complaining i was RANTING. I could see if i was sitting on my behind not looking but i am not. So your attempts to chastize me are going in one ear and out the other. I asked other questions on here other than about e/s.

I know how to network..the issue is i dont know anyone in this area. The people i know live in a bigger city. My friends are in the same boat as me except one. She got her job through a temp agency so i have contacted one. I do not see the issue here? Ive posted my resume everywhere i could possibly. Im not snubbing retail bc i think im above that im snubbing it because it isnt enough money to pay for all the loans i have plus paying for grad school plus the GRE (that in itsself is like 200 dollars). So i am not being a lazy brat as you are implying. I would love to work retail and get a discount on clothes but it simply doesnt pay enough.

Like i said before i shall continue to look. Hopefully the temp agency will find me something. I am more than willing to continue learning but learning cos MONEY. My parents arent going to help me pay for masters courses. Im gonna have to do that on my own so i need decent money.

Its rough out there for everyone so again your attempts to make me feel bad about what i am doing are going in one ear and out the other.

Now if you excuse i have to print off extra copies of my resume for tomorrow when i meet with the temp agency.

Thank you all for your help:)

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record with this post because a lot of have said the same thing, but in my mind its the right way to go.

No one says you have to work retail for the rest of your life, but its better than being unemployed, and you'll still be bringing in more than you are now, if you are unemployed. Yes it might be true that you can't pay your student loans and all your obligations with a retail job, but you will be better off than you are now, while you continue to look for a permanent job or just a job to get you through masters(also consider what you will get out of your Masters and how it will help you find future employment before you shell out tens of thousands of dollars for it).

I know classmates of mine(college graduates) who didn't have jobs as of the summer after they graduated(unemployed for almost a year) and they worked at best buy, target etc until they found jobs. Everybody has student loan these days, I know someone who has over $100,000 in student loan debt with a degree in english education(its going to be difficult paying it all back being a english teacher to say the least). And some of them went to some of the most expensive schools in the country and had tons of loans just like you. It's not ideal but especially now you can't just keep waiting for a job what pays you want, you have to take what you get until you can find a job that fits into your career plans. You don't want to be in this same spot 5 months from now when your parents decide they are sick of this and tell you, you can't stay in their house anymore. And from the you present things, it sounds like your parents aren't happy with the situation, so I would make plans so that you can at least support yourself(food, shelter and a way to get work) and the best way to do that is to get a job for now(whatever it is) so you can either support yourself or have some money saved you so you can get by for a little while.

I have a theory, one that I know many employers agree with. It's better for a job candidate to have a lame job and be EMPLOYED than to sitting around waiting for the perfect job to appear. You'll be more likely to get hired if you're working at McDonald's to earn a living than you are if you've been sitting on your rump for a year.

For the OP, I have to concur with SG.

I've talked to senior HR people, mentors, professors, strangers, etc.. It is easier looking for a job while employed. Plus one has to explain the gap, the explanation better be more than self-employed.

• Author
TwinkletOes26

I know i said i was done but i saw stargazers response i couldnt resist. Yes stargazer you are right ive been sitting on my behind all year long. I didnt spend a good part of the year taking two courses my school failed to tell me i needed to offically graduate. I havent been constantly trying to promote my avon website(which is the closet thing i have to being employed). I dont make flyers and send out emails telling people about my site since i am not able to get out and todd brochures anymore.

I havent been inquiring about job fairs everyday. I havent talked to my colleges career counselor who informed me to be patient that loads of people are unemployed and have been a lot longer than me.

I dont spend everyday emailing resumes(remember i have no car so i have to do things eectronically),filling out applications,calling places over and over and over again checking back to see if they are hiring. I havent called the malls and various clothing/makeup counters and asked if they hiring and got the answer that they dont need any more sales people. The mall isnt about to shut down because of the recession.

The eating places in the small city where i live arent suffering bc people are eating out less and so as a result they arent hiring. I contacted ocharleys,red lobster,applebees,and chilis and they do not have any positions open.

I called various government agencies(which by the way are the main types of jobs for someone with a psychology degree) and they are in a major hiring freeze.

I am not constantly watching the news for employment opportunities. I havent contacted the new kia plant they are putting near me and asked them about work(they wont be here until 2010 btw).I havent constantly asked around about job opportunities when i see people i know. I havent called the local schools and asked if they neede subs.They said they did not. I dont constantly tell everyone i know that if they hear about a job opportunity to let me know.

Its not like i havent thought about working in a bar or as a cocktail waitress but my mother thinks those jobs are sinful(alcohol) so she wouldnt let me borrow the car to go to work at such a "sinful" place.

I havent asked my friend who btw can only use her mamas car on the weekends could she take me to various places to hand out my resume and id pay her with gas money. I havent asked my friends mother about walmart hiring over and over.

I dont have student loan people on my back asking for mnoney and i had to inform them i still have no job. I dont need money to buy my own car and apt.

I dont spend hours scouring the internet for job listing i dont have my email set up to recieve job alerts from monster,career builder,yahoohotjobs,and indeed.

So yes stargazer you are correct i have done nothing this whole year but sit on my "rump" you are correct im just a lazy good for nothing ner do well who just is sitting around doing nothing.

There ya happy?:)

Now i seriously am done i have to go cook dinner for the family mmmm lime chicken.

Twinkletoes, the rule of thumb for someone who is looking for a job is to get up every morning early, take a shower, dress fully, and spend 8 hours a day in job hunting.

Here's an article from Forbes about internships, and their vast importance to a job search, even though you think doing an unpaid internship is worthless to your future.

To the OP, Twinkletoes, I suggest considering LuckyOne's post.

I found my first job by volunteering at a non-profit. The non-profit gave me a view of the real world and job references. My income at that time was virtually nil and I lived off credit cards. There were no gaps in my resume because I took a risk that volunteering will lead me to a better job where I can repay my debts. The point was, I still advanced and made connections with people. They couldn't hire me but could help in other ways like job references. It also helped that they were connected to people in the community whom can help you bypass the first gauntlet to a job. ;)

• Author
TwinkletOes26

That is why (waiting on chicken to defrost) i have signed up with a temp agency. I figure even if i dont find a perma postition i can at least have experience under my belt and gain references. As of now i have none bc my old managers at the grocery store MOVED when it shut down. I have no clue where they are. My professors at my old two yr school are gone bc the school did a total overhaul of its staff. My four yr i tranfered into well i didnt get to know the professors well enough to ask for a reference. Although i was vice president of the psychology club for two yrs lol.

Anywho my point is (i know i said i wasnt going to come back but i can not stand it when i think people arent getting what im saying) i am not sitting on my behind i have been looing for a job. I can not go out and hand out resumes in person because of my mother and the car situation. Its not an excuse its just what is. There is no public transport around here its basically woods lol.

I have asked my career counselors does it look bad. She said not really especially since we are in a recession. Everyone is looking so if they see i graduated last year and asked me about the gap ill tell them i have been looking for employment(which is the honest truth) and while ive been looking ive been selling avon so i would have something to stay busy with. I know avon isnt a job but it shows that im willing to do SOMETHING.

Ive looked at lucky ones sites she posted (thank you lucky) ive read them before. My thing was i would look high and low for work and if it started getting to be a year or so and i still count find work id contact a temp agency. Why ? you ask well like i said the middle of may a week b4 graduation the school decided to tell me that i needed two more courses. Well this was after i had spent semesters going over what i needed with my advisor. The advisor signed the graduation paper work and said i had finished when i really hadnt. So a good 5 months was spent taking the two courses that were intense and required a lot of study. So did my job hunt waiver ...yes a little bit but i wanted my diploma so school trumps job hunting.

After i finished the courses. I thought i had found a place that was going to hire me. That was why i asked the e/ question stargazer. Well that place went on a big hiring freeze :(. Then it let up i went back and they had filled the position with one of the managers daughters.

So i kept looking and filing out applications online everyday bc again i have no means of transport and if my mother doesnt want me to take the car around from place to place what can i do. I cold call watch the papers and the news.

Seeing as i was getting no where i called the temp agency. I think that if i was really just waiting on the perfect job and sitting around being a lazy bum i wouldnt have bothered calling the temp agency.

Im sorry if i came off harsh earlier but i already feel like crap and its like kicking a person when they are down. I dont want to not work just the economy is crappy and even the minimum wage places wont hire bc people arent shopping anymore. Id love to work at charlotte russe my fav store and its one of the few that pays 7.50 BUT they arent hiring. I cant mae someone hire me.

I also have researched and seen that im doing the right thing by calling a temo agency bc a lot of employers would rather hire through an agnecy than someone walking in off the street because the temp agency has done the hard part(drug testing,skill assesment ect ect ect). So please lay off i really am doing the best i can with what i got believe it or not.

I dont see why im still catching flack i signed up for a temp agency. Isnt that good thing?

calazhage

I have a girlfriend similar to you..

She took out massive school loans for a sociology degree. I have no idea what she was thinking. However she does cocktail waitress, so she has money for a car, food etc.

calazhage

Well she cannot find any sort of job. So she decided to go for her masters. She owes about 55k already.

It is my bet she will not find a job after her masters either. She will have even more school with no relevant experience.

In large part, the whole school thing is a money making business just like any other. If you get a fluffy degree do not plan on being assured a job in that field. Or any type of job.

As for all of your other issues, there is no easy answer except to prevent from becoming in debt in the first place.

burning 4 revenge
Well she cannot find any sort of job. So she decided to go for her masters. She owes about 55k already.

It is my bet she will not find a job after her masters either. She will have even more school with no relevant experience.

In large part, the whole school thing is a money making business just like any other. If you get a fluffy degree do not plan on being assured a job in that field. Or any type of job.

As for all of your other issues, there is no easy answer except to prevent from becoming in debt in the first place.

Yes, the whole university system has become a scam

The community colleges actually prepare the average person for skill-sets much better than the universities

• Author
TwinkletOes26
Yes, the whole university system has become a scam

The community colleges actually prepare the average person for skill-sets much better than the universities

I miss my 2yr it was the only graduation i cried at .....

Star Gazer
However she does cocktail waitress, so she has money for a car, food etc.

I did too. I also suggested to the OP that she wait tables or cocktail, but she wasn't interested in that. She only wants to do certain jobs.

*shrug*

calazhage
thats the issue i cant pay for a masters program and my parents agreement was theyd pay for my bs (everything loans and fin aid wouldnt pay) and id pay for my masters. Im not even looking for anything in the field of psych .just basic office/clerical work lol.Ive been out of school for a yr so they are a coming knocking lol. I am not snooty im looking for anything but like i said in this area minum wage is not gonna cut the bills. Even in retail the pay is 6.00 and hour tops. I wish i lived near the city but i dont my mother chose to live with my stepdad in the middle of nowhere.

1. What makes you think you deserve to get a masters right away? Perhaps you need to put it off for a few years. If you do not have the money, you do not have the money.

2. So far it seems like you haven't spent a dime on your own education yet. Loans, grants, mom and dad. That is a far more fortunate situation than most people are in. Personally I paid myself. To be honest, you should have been working and foregoing the loans, since you already had mom, dad and grants.

3. So now you want a job that you like, will pay for a car, and your masters. Well that is not reality for someone who never really worked.

My advice? Get 2 jobs, save money for a couple years, then be in a position to work part time and pay for school. No, it is not fun and glamorous, but that is life.

• Author
TwinkletOes26

Oh well in one ear out the other.....Now i have to get ready for the office the temp agency is sending me to. BTW a year contract at 16.00 and hour...so looks like at least for a year(if i dont find perma work) i will have the job that i want, a car, and on my way to saving up for an apt. Looks like my plan is worked out ok :laugh:..

Thank you for the advice anyways:cool:

BoredPerson

DUDE please get away from the site and find some real help with your problem !

These people are not going to help you. They're going to continue to bash you.

Take my advice. Look for staple jobs. The days of the generalist degree gone corporate are over.

• Author
TwinkletOes26
DUDE please get away from the site and find some real help with your problem !

These people are not going to help you. They're going to continue to bash you.

Take my advice. Look for staple jobs. The days of the generalist degree gone corporate are over.

The main bashing person is on my ignore list. She types away feverishly im guessing and i dont even see what she types. That means i spend less energy passing her postings over. I love the ignore button:).

Star Gazer
The main bashing person is on my ignore list. She types away feverishly im guessing and i dont even see what she types. That means i spend less energy passing her postings over. I love the ignore button:).

This is hysterical.

The one typing feverishly is the one posting 6,000 word posts. :lmao: That ain't me, sweetheart.

Star Gazer

It sure is! I don't have to bother trying to read 6,000 words of defensive nonsense, excuses, and gobbledeegook. :)

• Author
TwinkletOes26

just have to have the last word maybe thats why you have so many post on relationship issues hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

JeezLouise

I'm sort of new.

What use is the ignore button if you can still see what the other person is posting? Can you still see it and respond to that?