How important is financial stability for women?

Still Trying

Wow, is that true? How sad! And I guess I feel even luckier than I always have to have found someone who is like-minded. I've never, ever spent more than I have.

My H is the same way. He had a brief bad time financially after his divorce but that's it.

I'm proud to say we live under our means.

The US is in debt and crumbling because most people, governments included, lived beyond their means.

Good to hear that you found a compatible partner on this, it's not as easy as some think.

Yes, household debt is pretty horrific (excluding mortgages which can be offset against the asset)

This doesn't just apply to those with a low salary, you can frequently find high earners living beyond their means.

The lesson being, look at the level of responsibility and not just the salary. This applies to both sexes. I run away from women that can't separate need from want.

I don't always agree with you but wow, are you right! Especially on that last paragraph. Very wise.

Pete, yes. It's true. It's sad and it sickens me. And future generations will pay for it.

Don't even get me started on Obama's new stimulus package. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I believe women always want someone to take care of them. In my opinion, I would feel kind of uncomfortable if my boyfriend made less money than I do. Maybe I just have an old school perspective on things when it comes to that but it's how I feel.

I also think the main reason to why I'd want my boyfriend to make more than I do is because of our future. If we were to get married and have children, I would want to be out of work for a while to take care of them. If I'm the primary bread-winner, I won't be able to take a lot of time off of work because I need to help support the family since the man isn't cutting it.

So basically, if I were dating someone who wasn't making as much money as I am and I see a future with us... of course I'm going to suggest that he continues his education/get a different job/whatever.

This post stuck out to me in this discussion because I'm pretty much on the opposite track: right now, a demanding well-paying career is somewhat within my grasp. My problem? Finding a man who can accept that I could be the primary bread-winner (and therefore that he might be the primary care-giver). Believe me, they're few and far between -I met one in my whole adult life. Usually, men who have less rewarding careers then me feel intimidated and when I meet a guy who is on par (who does the same thing I do), he usually assumes my career will be the one to take the backburner. I sometimes dream of finding a man who would be a balanced SAHD.

What does this contribute to the discussion about what women want when it comes to financial security? 1) that nothing is hardwired, but that since most women know they'll be primary caregivers (wether they like it or not and with the paycut and career hindrance that caregiving can be), yes financial security is something important in a partner. 2) that there are women out there (and my guess is more then you'd think), who would love to meet someone who puts a premium on happiness, as long as it's both their happiness that is taken into consideration.

The question isn't how important is financial stability for X gender. The question is, how important is financial stability for a couple?

The question isn't how important is financial stability for X gender. The question is, how important is financial stability for a couple?

Thank you! Exactly.

Are we living on the same planet? About 50% of mom's ARE stay at home moms.

80% of working moms WISH they could be stay at home moms if they had the ability to. Or just work part time.

Please, please, show us some stats in which most women would prefer working and supporting a SAH, over being supported and staying home. We are all waiting...

Pretty sure you misunderstood the comment... "you" was specific to the OP, as in he should look for that kind of woman. It was not a generalized "you" meaning these kind of women are everywhere.

Pretty sure you misunderstood the comment... "you" was specific to the OP, as in he should look for that kind of woman. It was not a generalized "you" meaning these kind of women are everywhere.

That's just his style, regardless of user name. I wouldn't take it too seriously.