When a woman asks how far you live from here? What does it imply?

There have been several times I've met women at parties or at bars, and I'm socializing with them. In the middle of the conversation we ask each other where we're staying. And then the girl asks how far does it take to get there from here (wherever we currently are).

Basically tonight at a party I met a girl like that I'm very interested in her and it seems like she is also in me (she asked me all the above). And she also asked me how my apartment is like, I didn't give much details I was a bit vague.

I didn't bring her home, but I did ask her out and she seemed enthused and we exchanged #'s.

Sometimes I'm still kind of oblivious to what women imply when they ask certain things, even to this day. Does it mean she wants me to bring her home or is she just interested in going out with me? or both?

no, it means she wants to find out where you live so that she can ascertain your approximate income and socio-economic status

Ugh..do I sense another sarcastic response from alphamale..

your answer is supposed to be "I live in XXXXXX which is around 15 miles away from here..."

this will tell them the part of town you live in and approximately what your net worth is...

actually, i'm not being sarcastic or kidding around

• Author
your answer is supposed to be "I live in XXXXXX which is around 15 miles away from here..."

this will tell them the part of town you live in and approximately what your net worth is...

actually, i'm not being sarcastic or kidding around

I live in NY, I think that already says enough about my net worth. Anyway even if that was her intention I'm not surprised because she goes to NYU..one of the most expensive uni's in nyc. Money that matters so much to women drive me nuts sometimes.

...because she goes to NYU..one of the most expensive uni's in nyc.

even more reason to ascertain your socio-economic status, innit?? i mean, she doesn' want to tell all her rich co-ed friends that her bf lives in queens

confused and broken

I ask men that question all the time...

Im just curious where they live as in do we live close or far apart its a convenience thing... if you live close to each other it is easier to date

I don't know what living in NY means. you gotta be more specific. you can be renting an apartment with 3 guys in bronx or live in a upscale condo on your own in tribeca, who knows??

It's true when they ask you where you live, what you do, they want to know if you are a comparable person.

But if she asks, how far is your house, how's like inside

you can just throw comment like 'well I can take you to my house and grab some wine with nice music' if she says no, just say ok acting like you don't care.

Woman will give you very little hint if she wants you take her to your house since she doesn't want to look like a whore. if you don't get that signal, then it's your fault

When I ask where they live it's because it's a good, general conversation topic. Each city neighborhood is different, and I'm curious what they enjoy about it, what the good restaurants are there, etc. I wouldn't ask the 'how far' question because I know this city well, so I would already know where the neighborhood is. But I might ask where in the neighborhood, because some are large...like if someone said Lakeview, it could be near the lakefront or way west - different vibes and activities in each spot.

If they live in the suburbs, yeah, I have no idea where many of them are or how far. They could border the city or they could be in no-mans-land. Totally different from the city lifestyle, and a pain in the ass to get to/from.

It is NOT a hint to take me home! And it has nothing to do with finding out income. You can find a hole in the wall basement apartment in the nicest neighborhoods and mansions in the more inexpensive ones.

• Author
When I ask where they live it's because it's a good, general conversation topic. Each city neighborhood is different, and I'm curious what they enjoy about it, what the good restaurants are there, etc. I wouldn't ask the 'how far' question because I know this city well, so I would already know where the neighborhood is. But I might ask where in the neighborhood, because some are large...like if someone said Lakeview, it could be near the lakefront or way west - different vibes and activities in each spot.

If they live in the suburbs, yeah, I have no idea where many of them are or how far. They could border the city or they could be in no-mans-land. Totally different from the city lifestyle, and a pain in the ass to get to/from.

It is NOT a hint to take me home! And it has nothing to do with finding out income. You can find a hole in the wall basement apartment in the nicest neighborhoods and mansions in the more inexpensive ones.

Ok that was helpful norajane. Good to know all those times didn't necessarily imply all my missed opportunities of bagging a woman home :laugh:. That girl is still fairly new to the city and doesn't know much or anything about the other boroughs other than manhattan, it would explain her curious side.

You could make it a joke.

girl - "so how far away do you live"?

guy - "oh, depends how far away my car is".

or

guy - "Im homeless, I may have to go home with you"

:D

• Author

once on my travels I had met a girl at a bar and she asked me the same thing and we were both foreigners in a foreign country, she knew I wasn't a local. So that doesn't support much the idea of socio-economic worth.

once on my travels I had met a girl at a bar and she asked me the same thing and we were both foreigners in a foreign country, she knew I wasn't a local. So that doesn't support much the idea of socio-economic worth.

thats different

I agree; when I lived in NYC I did the same plenty of times, from a mix of curiosity and just plain old making conversation and finding common ground. Every neighborhood has its own story and I think it's just interesting to talk about. And there's nothing New Yorkers like talking about more than New York. Of course, that's true of lots of cities, but I think it's particularly true in NYC. It has its own mythology.

No personal offense meant, alpha, but I think in general the motives one ascribes to others really just reflects on oneself. Perhaps if you tell someone where you live it's with the specific intent to impress? ;)

No personal offense meant, alpha, but I think in general the motives one ascribes to others really just reflects on oneself. Perhaps if you tell someone where you live it's with the specific intent to impress? ;)

"Social occasions are warfare concealed"

- Khan N. Singh