"Cultured" Diamonds

Someone could always go the route that my husband went. We hated the DeBeers commercials "three months salary for a diamond," but because he made me wait 9 years to get married, he thought I deserved something nice.

My husband knew a jeweler and got him to go to an estate auction. There he got us a beautiful 1/2 carat round diamond circa the 1940s. I do not have to worry about it being conflict-free or a blood diamond and it is special to me because he didn't get it from some run-of-the-mill chain jewelry store. PLUS, it didn't cost him that much either. The even more special part was that he had it put in a tension mount, which not many people have. It is very unique and special to us.

Originally my husband wanted me to look at rings with him, but I was old-fashioned and wanted him to pick something for me and surprise me. The only request I had was that it be a round cut because I like the more fire of the diamond. I did not like the look of the princess or emerald cut for me.

Victoria Rose
I am not speaking of Cubic Zirconia, but of true synthetic diamonds. Is there a taboo to use these in wedding rings? Would you women be pissed if you found out?

I personally would not like one, although I don't know why. Either way, you should ask her what she thinks. Everyone feels differently.

Diamonds come from terrible sources and synthetic diamonds don't cut it.

What's wrong with some other type of gem? I prefer white sapphires to diamonds.

When the tradition of "engagement" rings started, diamonds were not used. The Diamond companies changed the tradition to a diamond with a great advertising campaign. Anyway, I have a few friends who have opted for other stones. And a niece who wanted and received a 19 KT Blue Saphire that is amazing. Now, thats just crazy talk for most people and if they were living like average people it would look fake. Still, I have to admit I like my diamond engagement ring.

Getting a great big fake diamond, so that your H can feel like he looks like a successful provider is fine I guess. As long as your house and your car and his job and your life match the size of the stone. Otherwise, it looks fake and you both look cheesy. You could however...just get a fake great big diamond (or other) ring to wear on another finger. You will have the bling you desire and be able to take it off when its inappropriate.

• 1 month later...
Bespoke Jewellery

For what it's worth, my view is that NoraJane is basically correct.

Very small numbers of white synthetic diamonds have been produced by companies like Adia and Apollo, but these are not available commercially.

Synthetic diamonds come mainly in yellow, pink, and orange (small quantities of greens and blues are also available).

There is no problem offering a synthetic diamond as long as you are absolutely honest about what it is, and do not try to pass it off as a mined stone. Unlike cubic zirconia or moissanite, synthetic diamonds are truly made of diamond.

If you want a mined stone, then buying a traceable Candadian diamond is probably the most ethical option.

I've been seriously considering a cultured diamond engagement ring, My fiance wants to get me another one because we were kids when he got me the 1/2 carat ring I have now. He seems to think I need a bigger one as some announcement of how great a provider he is... archaic huh? lol.

Ok that seems really odd. He wants to gte you a big fake to prove that he is a good provider? Isn't that TOTALLY the opposite of what he is trying to prove?

If you can't afford something real, then go with a real semi-precious or precious colored stone.

The symbolism for the ring is to show truth, purity and clarity. No matter the spin you put on it or what cute synonyms you call it - a cultured diamond is a fake. As a symbol for lasting commitment and deep and abiding love, real (no matter the size) beats anything fake.

JMHO, of course.

Trialbyfire
And a niece who wanted and received a 19 KT Blue Saphire that is amazing.
I can barely wear a 5 kt ring of any stone. 19 kts would cover my entire hand! :eek:

LOL. Yep, and really it's HUGE. Ive never seen anything like it. Its so big it looks fake if you dont see the rest of her life.

But you know...she wanted it, she can pull it off, he could afford it...why not.

But with this huge rock, if she was driving a 5 year old taurus, it would look fake.

LOL. Its big.

blind_otter
I am not speaking of Cubic Zirconia, but of true synthetic diamonds. Is there a taboo to use these in wedding rings? Would you women be pissed if you found out?

I would prefer a synthetic diamond to a real one. I would not accept a real diamond ever again.

You know, blood diamonds and all that. Huge monopoly and wretched violence and all that. Real diamonds are horrid, mainly because of what is associated with mining and selling them.

Can someone explain to me the important difference between a synthetic and a natural diamond. If they're physically identical, why not go for the more affordable alternative?

Alma Mobley

Synthetic diamonds are gimp -- they don't age well. Real diamonds are attached to real atrocities in the 'diamond mines,' usually in Africa. So you can find another gem or find a "conflict-free" diamond.

That is the summary. :)

I completely understand not wanting to contribute to the total farce as far as monetary value of real diamonds...and also not wanting to participate in the use of basically slave labor to mine them...

So, dont buy a diamond.

The fake ones look fake. Either people buy them so big they scream fake or after very little wear, they just look crappy.

The same people who buy great big fake stones also purchase plastic/shoddy knock offs of Prada purses.

NOTHING wrong with either, especially if your not intentionally trying to pass it off...

But when you are - it screams cheezy.

Trialbyfire
Can someone explain to me the important difference between a synthetic and a natural diamond. If they're physically identical, why not go for the more affordable alternative?

It's the same irrational reason why the original Mona Lisa and almost identical copy cat version, have a major price differential. And yes, I do buy into the real is better game, at least for my personal use. :p

For anyone else who doesn't buy into the same beliefs, in many ways, they're the smarter, more pragmatic bunch! ;)

I would prefer a synthetic diamond to a real one anyways. They're cheaper and don't involve the horrible exploitation of Africans in third-world countries. Anyone seen "Blood Diamond?" They supposedly have "cruelty-free" diamonds on the market now.

I don't really get into jewelry anyways. I don't like diamonds that much to begin with. They're so...ordinary. I want a different and unique ring.

I like claddagh rings.

http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2008/264/2/1221895626-40942_full.jpg

PinkKittyKat

They may be "synthetic" but it's still technically made of the same crap. Just because it wasn't chipped out of a cave doesn't make any difference to me.

Hell, you're more likely to get a nicer diamond, better grade, less flaws, for cheaper. And it's still a real diamond. Not seeing a drawback here. :confused:

Sure, some are inferior, but others are just as good or even better.

I'd be okay with an opal or a pink sapphire. Hell, my favourite stone is amethyst. It's so cheap.... :lmao:

It's my understanding that the lab-created diamonds only come in pink, yellow and blue so far. A lot of women wouldn't want those colors, although some might.

But, she'd notice that it wasn't clear, and she'd ask, and if you lie, well, that would suck.

If you want to go that route, discuss it with her first. It's her opinion that matters, not ours.

PINK DIAMONDS!? :eek:

WANT! :love:

BlueEyedGirl

I like moissanite(sp?) rings. I have 1.5K round cut and EVERYONE thinks it's a diamond. Check out moissaniteco.com Stones are not really yellow or green. I personally don't like anything synthetic so moissanite is a great choice :)

I have a 1 carat round cut moissanite ring...no one knows it's not a diamond unless I tell them. I think it looks a little warmer than a diamond but I like it this way. I was worried at first that the stone would chip or scratch more easily than a diamond (though I don't have any diamonds so I couldn't really make the comparison), but nothing has damaged the stone so far, and I tend to be klutzy and hit my ring on things fairly often.

jasmine5904

I also have a 1ct moissanite ring, and I love it! It's not green or yellow like some people say they tend to be. I actually told my fiance I wanted a moissanite ring, because he wanted to get me something I could "show off" to the girls at work (I work with about 30 girls, ages 17-29, and he always wants to know what they think about him!), but I didn't want him to spend thousands for a little sparkly rock. We just bought a house, and I thought the money would be better used for some improvements we really want to do.

Anyway, we did a lot of research on diamond synthetics, simulants, and moissanite. We went with moissanite because it's durable (harder than anything but diamond), the price was right, and it's almost identical to diamond - just a little more sparkly. I've received too many compliments on it to count, and people just assume it's a diamond!