...I got fired...:(

XxBacktoBlackXx

XxBacktoBlackXx

I am very depressed today. I am trying to cope and not take it out on anyone. I got fired yesterday.

I was offered a job with a nursing home. The newspaper advertisement said that no experience was necessary. I began to work there. My very first day, I was training under a woman I will call A. A did not care for me much and was very rude to me, but nevertheless I did everything I was asked. Initially they wanted to hire me on night shift, but told me that an evening shift had opened, so I would be working on evening shifts, but had my first day training under the day shift. She was very irritated with me for not knowing how to take blood pressure even though she knew, as did the company, that I had never done that before. I watched and took blood pressure accurately. She was extremely irritated with me when telling me how to shower an elderly person, even though I did everything correctly. She obviously had a bias against me, as well as the fact that she had been working until 5 AM that day.

My second day, I was her shadow again. All of the residents really liked me. I very much enjoyed working there. We went through the routine of that day again. I had never changed a catheter before, so I was shown how to do so and succeeded. Everyone was encouraging me and told me that learning everything comes in time and that I will know everyone's names and locations shortly. I was pleased with the job.

My third day, I was finally put on an evening shift, the shift that I would be permanently working. A was still around on this shift and said she was going to shadow me. She was rude to me all day for no reason. My fellow employee, C, who I had only met that day noticed it as well. She told me not to worry and that A would not be on my shifts. She told me she wished that they had put me with her that day, instead of A. I did fine that evening and gave everyone bathroom checks as well as gave showers, etc. C told me I was doing great and that she was happy I would be working with her and D, the other lady that would also be working shifts with us.

The next day, I receive a call from the director. I was shocked when he told me that I was being fired. I had done everything and followed all of the directions given. It also shocked me because I was hired under the guise that no experience was necessary. I had followed everything I was told and C had encouraged me and said I would do very well. The director claimed that A said it would take at least a week to properly train me because I did not have experience.

I know this sounds a little melodramatic, but I have been crying on and off these past two days. With the economy being what it is, I don't appreciate being offered a job with a false stipulation, especially since I turned down other job offers in the process. I am trying my best to not let this get me down but ...:lmao: I went in to talk to the director about it and he was extremely rude to me, wondering why I would even need to question anything.

Well the economy for retired people should only get better because suposedly from what I hear on CNN baby boomers are getting older and older. Thats so great that you enjoyed a job like that you must have a good heart to enjoy a job that involves taking care of people. I should hire you to shower me:cool: please feel better

Jobs are a huge pain. People think that people in there 20s, they don't know how to work or do anything. Especially with people who are older and in there like, late 50s. Which is what i think A was (I'm guessing lol)

Unfortunately, they're isn't much you can do about this. If the director doesn't like you, the chances of you being hired again by him, are very slim. If he does, its probably because of the current status of the economy. Other than that, I'm really sorry that you got fired. But, don't let the whole thing get you down :)

GodofNietzsche

Yeah, that really does suck. Try not to be too hard on yourself. You KNOW you didn't do anything wrong. Wasn't your fault. Good luck and try your best. They can only hurt you if you let them.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I know you have posted about being depressed and while you seem like you want to help people which is great, I don't know if working in a nursing home is the most upbeat place to make you, personally, feel better.

I would imagine it would only make a person more depressed. Hang in there, I am sure you will find something. There are always lots of jobs around the holidays!