Interviewing People Older Than Me

Unfortunately, I never had a three way mirror- so I always neglected the back of my head. I was party on top and sides... but the back was flat.

:lmao: I saw a girl like that at a restaurant recently, and I resisted the urge to go up to her and say, "You know, the back of your head does exist, even though you can't see it."

I work with tons of people who are younger than me and much more experienced in some cases. I don't let it bother me.

However, it does feel a little strange to me for some reason when my doctor is fifteen years younger than me. Don't know why.

:lmao: I saw a girl like that at a restaurant recently, and I resisted the urge to go up to her and say, "You know, the back of your head does exist, even though you can't see it."

I work with tons of people who are younger than me and much more experienced in some cases. I don't let it bother me.

However, it does feel a little strange to me for some reason when my doctor is fifteen years younger than me. Don't know why.

Oh SR... believe me- I run into people from highschool that still sport the same hair styles.... Unfortunately- the guys now have receding mullets. It's scary really.

FYI- I smoked my first J when I was 14... and I got so sick I barfed on the table in my art class. My art teacher pulled me aside the next day and said "listen- if you're going to get high, learn to know your limit- and don't do it before coming to my class again"... he was awesome.

Allina- it doesn't matter how old you are... you got the job for a reason- you remain there for a reason. If you sense people have an issue with your age- don't recommend them to your superiors. That's power baby... and it's all yours.

Would you hire me if I came in with huge hair and a Pat Benetar head band with feather earrings? you'd better... or I'd go all "hot child in the city" on your a@@.

• Author

You guys are funny :laugh:

And thank you for all your input.

A part of why I asked is because I'm trying to to lighten up on people and not be too harsh. Sometimes I think I'm too quick to think "omg what an f-ing idiot!"

I was confused about the age thing. On one hand I thought it was no big deal, even if people commented on my age it's not like it's insulting. But then I don't like people who aren't aware of basic professional tact.

mental_traveller

Older people think they know more (often but not always true) and don't really respect young people's judgement that much. But you're in the position of power. A genuine older person will treat you with respect. The sarcastic comments are a perfect method for weeding out unsuitable candidates IMO.

I have been on a hiring team three times, and two of the three times, the person we hired was about 20 years older than me. I have supervised people who are much, much older than me. I have leearned that the reason I have my position was because I have skills, they just don't have I've found that as long as I excude coonfidence, and don't make a big fuss than they are likely to respect me. It was my mom though who really had a talk with me when I was freaked out about supervising older people, and said they icked me for a reason, and that age doesn't equal maturity or wisdom.

betterthandead

Yeah that was a condescending/patronizing remark that older guy did to you, alphamale proves my point with him stating he has "more experience."

More experience generally does not secure a job position. See McCain.

no, its part of your job

it could be but not necessarily

i'm 43 and if i had to be interviewed by a 25 year old it would be a bit strange but i know a lot more than the interviewer does about everything so i would feel i have the upper hand....

Yeah that was a condescending/patronizing remark that older guy did to you, alphamale proves my point with him stating he has "more experience."

More experience generally does not secure a job position. See McCain.

elections for public office are generally based more on emotion than experience....a job as an accountant or air traffic controller is not

I think it has to do with what age the interviewer is. It would be weird for a 20 something year old to interview a 40 year old, but if you're in you're in your mid-late 30s and you're interviewing a 50 year old, that would be fine, although in both instances, the age difference is about 20 years.

20 something year old are adults, but they are still considered as kids by poeple in their 40s and 50s.

casanovacorner

I use to work security, and at the age of 19, I became supervisor after only being there 1 year. Needless to say, almost everyone on my shift was older than me, and had been there a lot longer than I had. I'm not sure about your work environment, but I didn't treat them like they were under me.

They knew I was the boss, but we laughed and joked about age all the time. We talked about politics, religion, and whatever else. At the end of the day, it was more of a co-worker type of thing, than he's my boss type of thing.

You shouldn't feel uncomfortable about it, you'll probably do the same thing as you get older. I'm 26 now and find myself saying stuff like that to my 21 y/o girlfriend.