Should people get engaged before they live together?

meanttolive4ever

i think thats the only thing i regret doing is not moving in with my ex..i mean he wanted to buy a house when we were only together for like 3-6 months

But really...if you live together before marriage, what do you have to look foward to?

A lifetime together.

This looks like an old thread...but anyway....

I am with moimeme on this one.. Live together, get engaged, get married.

My belief in marriage is strong...it is the final lifetime committment, stated publicly, with all the symbols that go along with it. But I think by the time you say, "i'm going to marry this person" you should be ready...not about to step into a trial phase, to see if it is indeed what you want.

As for not living together at all...that is a HUGE risk.

• 4 weeks later...

I think a couple should be engaged before they make the decision to live together otherwise they are not ready for this level of committment or eternal Love. People aren't used cars to be tossed away if the living together arrangement doesn't work and suddently becomes hard work or when problems arise & your lover does not want to put the effort to work things out, where does Love fit in all this, If you decide to get engaged after you live together & make it marriage you are one of the lucky ones, but if you're not, you will feel used, abused, heart broken, sharing your life with a man in an intimiate everyday lifestyle who may not stay with you forever, self respect is not a risk I'm willing to take nor is being used.

If you make the decision to live with a man or woman then the reason should be because you Love that person and that Love won't change once you live together otherwise it was never love to begin with...because of an argument, home habits, etc. we all know nobody is perfect. Living together should not test your compatibility. Two people shouldn't pretend to be married and act like they are married if they aren't hoping things will work out. If two people love eachother they will both work together to make things work because they made a committment to do to begin with. Love is a decision you make with your head. Emotions change constantly. Bella