im going to pull this tooth out

There is assistance for those who can't afford dental care. It's called Medicaid. Go to your local Social Services office.

well i have had both anorexia and bulimia for 8 years, and 70% of my teeth have had root canal, caps, and they suck! it is a direct result of the nutrient deficiency associated with the anorexia, and also the erosion of tooth enamal and then tooth material with my constant purging. plus since i am still purging it only weakens the teeth they have worked on, then those teeth are more likely to break and ruin the work. all my work is estimated at a low 40,00.00! yeah my dental cap is 1200.00 per year.

luckily i have found a dental program at the university of maryland so all this will cost almost half the regualr amount, but it may as well be a million dollars....

Dental pain has always been a constant, i used to take like 8 alieves every day, right now it is only an off on pain so i am not taking pain med. right now.

i am only 24, and dentures are my only other option, but i will not do that, your jaw structure deteriates with out your teeth, i feel your pain... and have broken off pieces of my own tooth to help with pain. i would recommend the dentist, they can get the entire tooth out, root and all, and help limit infection. also you may look into having a root canal then a cap, you do not want to lose your teeth!

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Tony

Eating disorders don't cause tooth decay. In your situation, there was a combination of your failure to properly brush your teeth and failure to seek regular dental care.

Eating disorders do cause tooth decay. Bulimia will cause your teeth to rot away in a matter of months. Excessive purging could have you wearing dentures a year from the time you start. No amount of brushing and flossing or visiting the dentist would stop this. Brushing after purging actually pushes the acid into your teeth along with the purged food. Anorexia will also rot your teeth quickly, but malnutrition would take longer. If you severely restrict nutrients, your teeth will erode away just like your bones. It's called osteoperosis and osteopenia (not sure if I spelled those right). Compulsive overeating would probably help teeth decay faster with poor oral hygeine but wouldn't cause them to erode as quickly as bulimia and anorexia. It's dangerous to tell people that eating disorders don't cause tooth decay when they most certainly do!

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking about pulling a tooth out also. I have no insurance and cannot afford to go to the dentist I brush normally 3 times a day after eating. Lately I have been brushing more with sensodyne (not that it has helped). I cannot get ins. until July. About 2 months ago a filling popped out and the pain has been pretty bad. I have had a few sleepless nights and would like to know if there is something you recommend for the pain (besides booze).

Please help or the tooth will go!!!!!!!!!

Try putting a clove (as in the spice - and a whole one, not ground) in the tooth. I haven't tried it, but I've seen others with toothaches do it and apparently it helps. What about this Medicaid?

• 4 months later...

I can't believe how callous and ignorant everyone is to Patty's problem. AND, just to set the vast medical/dental ignorance of the network TV actor (PS - stick to cheesy TV shows) straight. Eating disorders are a major cause of severe tooth decay and caries in the mouth. The strong digestive acids of the stomach will cause decay of the teeth above and below the gum line - AND ulcerate the mucus membrane of the esophagus and mouth, and potentially the sinus cavity as well. Frequent vomiting does alot of damage.

Patty, if you have some eating disorder issues, please see your doctor or go to ANAD.com and find a new one -

if the one you have is no help. AND YOU CAN HELP YOU! Don't feel guilty ashamed or embarassed, regardless

of what anyone else says. These are issues the pros can help you with.

• 2 weeks later...
Midnight Magic

Well I am off to my local dentist to have an extraction, thanks to one dental worker who was in training

at the time and put in too much filling, this would explain the very pain ful headaches that I have had to

endure for the past month.

Geez, I pay $ 300.00 per month at work for a health plan so that I can go to a so called qualified dental office

and be treated by someone who does not know what the hell they are doing.

So I have to endure pain getting an extraction.

Sorry I just needed to vent as I hate going to the dentist as it is as my teeth are so sensitive.

Now this.>>

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• 4 weeks later...
mgonzalez137

Your dentist might not be telling you the whole story. I had bad problems with fillings in my teeth for many years, visitng different dentists to no avail. Turns out I think my dentist did a sloppy job originally. Have a new one now who seems to be more in tune with what i want.

Hope you get it worked out!