should I quit? stick it out?

Please don't give your notice until you find another job. You really don't want to be screwed. Let it be up to them to find someone to train them. I truly think 2 weeks is sufficient. If you want to give 4 weeks that's fine if it's OK with your new employer...but please don't quit before you have another job.

Try to avoid burning work related bridges. An excellent reference can be priceless. In the past month, I've had two ex-employees phone to thank me for glowing references, which got them their ideal jobs.

Find another job before quitting. After you hand in your notice, make certain you maintain a positive level of work attitude, completing tasks given within the time required, sometimes exceeding their expectations. If you do this, many times, reasonable employers will sit up and take notice, wondering if they're letting a commodity go. You might be surprised how many will rethink things and offer you something better, getting involved in a bidding war for your services. :)

Btw, now that your immediate boss has agreed to you leaving early, do come in early, take your lunch and leave early. When lining up interviews, ensure they're within the time frame of your new hours. You might also be surprised at how accommodating a potential new employer can be about keeping your integrity within an existing job. They also want someone who will treat them right, when it comes time for you to leave them.

• Author
Try to avoid burning work related bridges. An excellent reference can be priceless. In the past month, I've had two ex-employees phone to thank me for glowing references, which got them their ideal jobs.

Find another job before quitting. After you hand in your notice, make certain you maintain a positive level of work attitude, completing tasks given within the time required, sometimes exceeding their expectations. If you do this, many times, reasonable employers will sit up and take notice, wondering if they're letting a commodity go. You might be surprised how many will rethink things and offer you something better, getting involved in a bidding war for your services. :)

Btw, now that your immediate boss has agreed to you leaving early, do come in early, take your lunch and leave early. When lining up interviews, ensure they're within the time frame of your new hours. You might also be surprised at how accommodating a potential new employer can be about keeping your integrity within an existing job. They also want someone who will treat them right, when it comes time for you to leave them.

Thanks Trial,

I do agree it would be best if I could find something before I left, but I am only allowed to leave early one day a week, when I have class. So I leave at 4 and have class at 4 15 until 10pm.

Other than that I would have to take time off....and I dont know if they will like that much... its really really tricky. I cant quit til i find another job, but I cant go to interviews while working here...

Thanks Trial,

I do agree it would be best if I could find something before I left, but I am only allowed to leave early one day a week, when I have class. So I leave at 4 and have class at 4 15 until 10pm.

Other than that I would have to take time off....and I dont know if they will like that much... its really really tricky. I cant quit til i find another job, but I cant go to interviews while working here...

That's too bad that you can't change all your hours. There's always lunch hour (which is how most people do it) and vacation time. Regardless of whether you're part time or on contract, you're still entitled to time off in lieu of your 4% or whatever it is within your jurisdiction.

Now that I have a better picture of this, you are both working in completely unacceptable places. I wouldn't dream of treating people this way and I've never worked in environments like this. Sorry, I just didn't understand and couldn't comprehend what you were talking about.

Seriously, to both of you, if it is at all possible, do what all other students do who go to college full-time - work part-time in the city that you go to college in and get loans, grants, scholarships, whatever and go full-time. If you have to get a full loan for college, do that. It's that important (as I'm sure you know). And I mean go out of town - away from your parents and be a college student. If you just can't do that, go to a community college. There are now major univiersities that have branches in other cities and they often have a policy that if you go to those for 2 yrs, you can automatically transfer to their main campus. It's worth looking into. And keep yourself debt-free, except for college expenses.

You are expending so much time and energy by working full time and trying to get a degree. I'm afraid you're going to burn out.

• Author

Thanks, I actually did get all the financial aid i could get (reason why Ive been so tempted to just quit and find a job afterwards) yet im terrified of not finding anything.

For now Ill try to find interviews that can see me either at lunch and/or after work.

we shall see how this goes

Man, after reading this thread I am so thankful of the job I have now.

-as long as I work 37.5 hours a week, my supervisor doesn't care when I come in or leave. I could come in at 2 and leave at 10 everyday if I wanted, or only work 4 days a week, or whatever. Take a day off and make up for it by staying later the other days. Fridays are halfdays normally. I am never expected to work later, or take any work home. I also get great benefits which include personal days that I don't have to explain.

-not only is my education important to the company, but they pay for various career development programs, and I'm allotted some hours every week that I'm paid for to study for professional examinations, which I get substantial raises and bonuses for passing

-I don't get micromanaged. In fact I barely even get managed, and even though I only have 3 months experience total the results I come up with, which oftentimes influence pretty important decisions, are trusted, usually with minimal verification. It's assumed that I am careful and smart; however, it's also assumed that I am inexperienced and therefore bound to screw up, so if that happens, that's ok too - something to learn from.

-Even as an intern here I had the opportunity to come up with my own projects - writing programs to simplify the process of how certain numbers were crunched, etc. My boss and his boss and everyone else I work with have stressed their open-door policies and that my questions, suggestions, and ideas were valued. Even when I first started I only had to do minimal bitch-work (data entry or other repetitive tasks, etc.)

-Everyone is super-nice, not just respectful or courteous.

-There is free s!ht everywhere (lunches, tickets, *stuff*, etc.)

-There are also lots of neat programs that the company supports like giving money to the charities/ programs that employees volunteer with. I have been interested in starting and coaching a mathletics program at a local middle school and it's likely I could get some funding to do that

Incidentally, while I have my degree requirements completed, I do not actually have a degree, since I owe my university some money and some paperwork. This never stopped my employer for treating me not only fairly, but well.

Honestly I don't think anyone should have to settle for the thankless work y'all seem to be doing, unless it's an immediate means to an end. Screw staying there for a year or two years or whatever. Find a better job, at a better company.

Where do you work Spookie? LOL!

A secret organization based in a low profile large city. :lmao:

That is why she is a "spookie"; she is not a full spook in the organization.

If she told us, she'll have to... you know...