His wife is a ventilated quadriplegic.

So, in other words, being depressed doesn't lead to one being unable to comprehend and be "cognizant" then. Kinda what WA was trying to say. ;)
Being cognizant of a situation has nothing to do with being depressed. When a patient is depressed - there are two classical forms of it. Clinical depression, where the patient has a predisposition to becoming depressed and this may occur for no reason. The other is commonly called reactionary depression and results in the patient being depressed after a catastrophic event. Neither forms of depression commonly affect a patient's ability to process information - but what it may do is alter their judgment with how they respond to a situation.
Lookingforward
Forgive me if this as been said, but in a 5 year span of nurses, I'm sure many have come and gone. Since there are multiple caregivers in this case, I'm sure this poor woman has seen her fair share of change over the years. I don't see why the OP leaving would be any different for the wife then any other nurse leaving.

When I had nurses caring for my parents, no one stayed for more than a couple of years. Most stayed about a year before they moved on in their careers as a nurses. In my experience with this sort of thing, change is inevitable when it's long term care.

yes, and wyld did say the W has been in this condition for about 5 years and wyld has been her caregiver for 18 months (9 of which she has been romantically involved with her H). I don't see why Wyld's leaving the case would upset the W anymore than the caregiver Wyld presumably replaced 18 months ago.

It might upset Wyld and the H though.

Out of the last 50 posts in this thread, the vast majority of them were catty, argumentative, sarcastic, inappropriate, off topic and many downright mean. Things get this way sometimes after a thread gets this long. Time to close it up and move on. Thanks everybody!