What's with everyone's obsession to be healthy? Do they have to rub it in your face?

Yes, for the most part thinner is healthier for sure as excessive weight causes all kinds of health issues, but a thin person who doesn't exercise is not necessarily as healthy as a heavier person who does. Now, Im not talking 300 pounds and walking to the mailbox healthier, I mean like a 5'5" woman who is 150 pounds and does spin class 3 days a week and lifts weight healthier. She's still technically over-weight, but minimizing the weight damage by working out her heart and muscles. Cardio-vascular health is important, and doesn't come without doing the work.

With obesity out of control in the US, I suppose this is a hot topic around water coolers, and a lot of people are feeling the pressure to stay fit. Then, there are other crazy ones like me who work out because they actually love it. :)

I guess I would be one of those co-workers who would want to know why she doesn't exercise. lol. Not tell her why she SHOULD, but just wonder why she doesn't. I meet so few people who don't work on their bodies, as my work has me surrounded by fit people all day long, and my BF is a pro athlete. I think like-minded people tend to gravitate towards each other in this regard. I just find it genuinely interesting when people don't exercise. Truly.

Yeah but how would you know she is not exercizing? You can clean your house for 3 hours and that is getting activity and muscle tone. Just because one does not go to a gym does not mean they are not fit.

Plus you know the other thing that bores me? When people brag about how many minutes they do cardio etc at the gym. I know some people go for health purposes, but in my office most go to the gym cos its the hip new thing and they want to look good by telling people how much they go there.

Then they'll ask me (again) if i go to the gym. Then i'll say 'No". Then they'll be shocked and go "Why the hell not?!"."Its so good for you because <insert their uneducated medical thoughts about the benefits of going to the gym here>".

I can relate. Sounds like you just have obnoxious coworkers. I used to (and sometimes still) get those kinds of comments remarks from family members. You can try to ignore them, try witty comebacks to their snide remarks, or just tell them to f*** off.

I worked at a place where I was about the only one who ate decent, and the snidest remarks came from the fattest people. Especially our accountant, who was pushing 300 lbs. He'd walk by me with his bag of cheetos and diet coke and say "beans and rice again, eh? What's wrong with you, eating healthy?" I used to come back with the remark "Why is it that only fat people drink diet coke?" Mean, I admit, but he was particularly annoying. With most people, I generally downplayed their comments or changed the subject.

Personally, it sounds like your diet is good. The thing is you probably eat healthy most of the time and occasionally splurge (and I do the same thing). Your co-workers, on the other hand, are probably completely uneducated and/or misinformed about proper nutrition (which is the case with much of the population). They probably also make a big deal when they actually are eating something healthy or exercising. That's most likely because they don't do it that often. At least that is how it was at my last job.

As far as exercise goes, I do go to a gym. Personally for me, I go to the gym because my job (I am an engineer) provides no physical challenges. I sit at a computer all day, essentially. Not quite but most of the time. I am paid to use my brain, and not my body. If I had a more physically challenging job or physical challenges in life, I probably wouldn't go as often. But the way the modern world is, machines do much of what people used to do, and there are fewer physical challenges in daily life. And I need physical challenges in life. I just couldn't sit around and vegetate all day, letting my body go to waste.

I honestly enjoy sweating and being sore the next day. I feel a sense of accomplishment and I feel better about myself. I hear exercise does release endorphins that make you feel good. I don't know if it is true or not, but all I can say is I feel better physically and mentally when I am physically active. I need mental and physical stimulation in life, and going to they gym is my way of satisfying part of the physical stimulation.

And BTW, you don't need to go to a gym to exercise. Walking, riding a bike, dancing, playing sports, etc. are all exercise but don't necessarily involve a gym or are very strenuous (though they can be).