How do you become a waitress with no experience?

• Author
shadowplay
Think of it this way, Shadow: you're already a waitress with no experience. Hope that helps.

No it doesn't...but thanks for the laugh. ;)

I don't know about the states, but in Germany private tutoring is really easier and more lucrative than waitressing. Craig's List is a good idea, you should also check out local websites, I mean pages from newspapers and communities from your area. You could just put an ad in the paper/ college newspaper, if it's not too expensive.

For the waitressing experience, if you want to gain some experience (to get better jobs), try getting a job at a festival. You can always get those without experience, and you will learn all you need very fast. It doesn't pay that great, but you can put it on your resume. Another thing are catering companies, they often look for cheap workers who are willing to waitress. Granted, this kind of job isn't regular, but it can help you gain experience, as well.

Good luck!

Lookingforward
Uh...thanks for being helpful. I'm very book-smart, but my practical skills suck.

exactly shadow - being a genius doesn't mean you know chit about practical stuff - just ignore them

nittygritty

Your probably going to need a food handler's permit, so if it's required, have it with you before you apply. Try to choose a popular restaurant that is busy during the shifts your wanting. You will make more money if the restaurant doesn't require you to split tips with other employees like other servers, host or bussers.

If restaurants in your area have trouble finding help then experience won't be an issue. If there isn't a shortage of restaurant help in your area and experience is required, then start by applying for host positions at restaurants that do split tips with the host and tell them that you are eventually wanting to be a server.

Star Gazer
I just want to make a lot of money fast. Is waitressing the best way to go given my available hours and level of experience?

Given that you have absolutely no service (or even retail) experience, you're not going to make a lot of money fast as a server. Fast money in the service industry comes from bartending at a popular club/bar/lounge, cocktailing at a popular club/bar/lounge, or serving at a high-end restaurant. It will be very, very difficult to get your foot in at those places with no experience.

If there was an easy way to make a LOT of money FAST, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

Star Gazer
I got a 1500 on the SAT, but don't they take your GPA into account as well?

Huh? For waiting tables??? Noooo.

• Author
shadowplay
Given that you have absolutely no service (or even retail) experience, you're not going to make a lot of money fast as a server. Fast money in the service industry comes from bartending at a popular club/bar/lounge, cocktailing at a popular club/bar/lounge, or serving at a high-end restaurant. It will be very, very difficult to get your foot in at those places with no experience.

If there was an easy way to make a LOT of money FAST, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

I know I won't make a lot of money, but I want to make as much money as somebody in my position can. This is also about gaining experience because I may very well be waitressing when I move to NY in the Fall.

• Author
shadowplay
Huh? For waiting tables??? Noooo.

For tutoring for Princeton Review or Kaplan.

Star Gazer
I know I won't make a lot of money, but I want to make as much money as somebody in my position can. This is also about gaining experience because I may very well be waitressing when I move to NY in the Fall.

IME, I'd start with the chains then - Applebee's, Chili's, Olive Garden, etc. They have built-in training programs and are willing to hire virgins. :)

nittygritty

Most restaurants that aren't a single unit operation are going to have a training manual and procedures for training servers. A lot of the National Chains have the servers split tips either amongst all the servers or with other staff which might be good if your inexperienced but experienced servers will make more money at a busy establishment that doesn't require splitting tips. ;)

MaxManwell

Just walk in and talk to the manager don't just say that you want a job, explain yourself tell him about your experience and tell him that you would like to try out waitressing.

Do it during a not busy time between 2-3 in the afternoon and dress well.

MaxManwell
It can suck.

I think everyone should work in a restaurant for at least 6 months. It teaches humility.

Good luck.

I was in the kitchen for about three months when I was much younger, like underage younger and all it taught me to do was to hate waitresses.

underpants
I was in the kitchen for about three months when I was much younger, like underage younger and all it taught me to do was to hate waitresses.

:lmao:

Hey, my table wants to change their order.

They ordered med well but says this is rare.

Can you substitute x for x on the dish you already plated.

Hurry up.

Has my table's food been sitting in the window for 10 minutes?

blind_otter

I did a lot of waitressing when I was in college. The first waitressing job I got through friends, as my bellydance teacher at the time was living with a man who owned a local pub and she got him to hire me.

I have to say that without experience, you don't get that much cash when you first start waitressing because you have to learn the hustle. You have to move really fast, be extremely nice and perky, be talkative and chatty but not too chatty, and you have to cultivate a good relationship with other restaurant workers (door guys, kitchen staff, bartenders). You also have to be able to keep 100 things in your head simultaneously. You could be taking an order, and the next table asks for refills and butter or whatever, and then as you go to the back to put in the order and get the refills and butter someone else asks you for a drink - and damn well better not forget any of that shiz because it's coming out of your tip. And no matter how busy or crazy it is, you MUST remain pleasant at all times.

IME the best times to make money are on weekend nights. People tend to get extremely wasted then, and will accidentally or drunkenly tip you a lot more than they normally would because their alcohol saturated brains can't do math all that well.

If you live in a college town, then those chain restaurants might not be the best idea. I live in a university town and they all demand prior experience.

Personally I would try a local pub. Those are actually the only types of establishments that I've ever worked at.

I waitressed at a local Denny's. It was actually my first job, so I had no experience in anything. Walked in, applied, and was hired on the spot. When I hit 18, I worked the graveyard shift. I loved the bar crowd. On a decent night, I could walk out with anywhere between $100-$150. My best night was $120 on a 4 hour shift. I wouldn't go to a Chili's or an Applebees. I used to actually wait on their waitresses, who complained all the time about what crap money they made compared to us. I had the best time though. You really do meet a lot of interesting people.

MaxManwell

A story:

When I was in college I could not find a job a friend of mine was a waiter at an intalian restaurant. He told me to come in and apply for a job, to make up some far off place that doesn't exist and say I had experience.

He told me I would get a trial shift, and if it went well offered a job. He said if that doesn't work, try it at another place with the same lie until you get the hang of it and will be offered a job.

At first I was sceptical and I aksed 'what do I do? ' he replied 'you drop the food'. Indian guy too, smart dude. Keep in mind this was in a big city and these we're large places but a street pretty much dedicated to lots of little food establishments.

The moral; lie.

I'm somewhat of a vet in the restaurant biz and I can tell you a few things

1) Don't even consider being a server unless you have either good hustle, good customer service skills, or an eidetic memory. These tools are honestly more important than 'experience'.

2) You can always start out as a hostess and work your way up, but that could take more time than you have. If you really want the job, just lie and say you have experience. You'll only be able to get away with this, however, if you apply at mass chain type restaurants with revolving doors like an Applebee's, Chili's, etc. Don't try it at fine dining places b/c they'll see it coming from a mile away.

3) Your best bet (and again, I would recommend doctoring experience if you really want the job) is to find a chain restaurant with a good location, like a place on a river or some other scenic area. Places that draw lots of customers can usually negate the ****ty tips you might get at a chain.

4) Your second best bet is if you're cute, you can always doctor the ole resume and show up at a gentleman's club asking to be hired as a cocktailer. Brush up on your alcoholic beverages and you'll be making $$ in no time. :cool:

I'm somewhat of a vet in the restaurant biz and I can tell you a few things

1) Don't even consider being a server unless you have either good hustle, good customer service skills, or an eidetic memory. These tools are honestly more important than 'experience'.

IMO, all these things can be learned. I have a horrible memory, and when I started - I was one of the quietest, least sociable people around. Waitressing was good in that regard, because it took me out of my comfort zone, and forced me to be sociable. It was my first job, I was clumsy, shy, and had a crap memory when I started. I lasted 10 years. So those things can be learned over time.

IMO, all these things can be learned. I have a horrible memory, and when I started - I was one of the quietest, least sociable people around. Waitressing was good in that regard, because it took me out of my comfort zone, and forced me to be sociable. It was my first job, I was clumsy, shy, and had a crap memory when I started. I lasted 10 years. So those things can be learned over time.

Oh, I totally agree don't get me wrong. I was a shy klutz too once upon a time :D. It just sounds like the OP doesn't have the time to learn those things so if sociability and grace aren't preternatural, she should look into something that works more to her strong suits like tutoring.

Teacher's Pet

As the resident food service person of LS, I have to agree with Star Gazer...

Getting into a quality place with a good income potential is hard for someone with no experience, but if you are really interested in doing it, start at a corporate chain (Applebee's, Friday's, etc..) Those places will run you ragged, BUT... if you find that you actually ENJOY doing it, the fact that you would be gaining some high-volume serving experience will help you get in a much nicer place.

I was lucky, though. My first job was bartending (without experience, you need to go to bartending school, as crappy as most of them are) at a pair of italian restaurants in my home town. One was casual dining, the other was fine dining. Eventually, I left the fine dining establishment to take a management position in the casual one, where I worked as a floor and bar manager for about 3 years.

Working in casual dining (since it's usually "busier") teaches you to work fast, and fine dining teaches you the fine art of serving (which is a precise art, especially in the NYC area where I am!)

I spent some time working in casual "corporate" dining after that (when I was hard-up for a job), which was an experience in itself, and gave that up for a job in the "real world".

Now, I'm back bartending/serving in fine dining again. It took me a little time to get my "skills" back to where I wanted them to be, but I've taken some "advanced" bartending lessons (think Tom Cruise in "Cocktail"), and the manager of the restaurant I work at, who used to manage some VERY well known restaurants taught me some of the real "pro tips", so now I'm able to make a pretty decent living at this.

What I'm getting at is that YES, you can use this business for "fast money", provided you get in the right place, but if you want to really make good money, you might actually consider taking a bartending course, if there is one where you live.

Bartending is a primarily CASH business (unless you are in fine dining), so you leave with a pocketful of cash EVERY night. In a sports bar (like one place I used to work), you can make about $200-250 on a good night... in a nightclub (again, based on the area you are in), you can make $300+ a night.

Plus, bartending is a LOT of fun, once you get the hang of it. It IS very competitive though, because it is considered a "cool profession", and getting in the "cool places" isn't easy for a newcomer.

In most places, if you simply ASK the manager for a chance, they'll give you 1 shift to prove yourself. Of course, I wouldn't suggest doing this until you actually learn the basic skills. :)

If you want any other suggestions/advice, don't hesitate to PM me. :)

-tp

master of mixology (and puppets)

Teacher's Pet
:lmao:

Hey, my table wants to change their order.

They ordered med well but says this is rare.

Can you substitute x for x on the dish you already plated.

Hurry up.

Has my table's food been sitting in the window for 10 minutes?

You call this martini DRY?

I said I wanted SALT on this margarita!

Is this made with FRESH limes, or that Rose's crap?

This mint is NOT fresh!

This wine glass has a waterspot on it!

NEVER make these complaints, and then ask for extra bleu cheese dressing.

You figure it out. ;)

-tp

oh, i'll bring you extra sauce.

MrsHellnoFire
I'm 24. I have two unpaid internships at film studios that take up 40 hours a week. Right now I'm living at home in a moderately sized city, but will probably be moving to NY come September. I desperately need to save up some money, so I'm trying to find a night and weekend job.

I've been putting off looking because I don't even know where to begin. I'd like to be a waitress somewhere (not sure what kind), but I worry I'll be unable to land a job without any experience. I have a good amount of experience in administrative assistant, receptionist and creative roles, but no retail or serving experience.

As I write this I'm making an Excel Spreadsheet of all the nearby establishments to aid in my job search. Any tips on how to narrow down the search? What are some good places to work given the hours I have available? What kind of places would hire somebody without any experience? How should I present myself in my resume and interview?

Thanks! ;)

Uh, i didnt know one needed experience to wait tables. i guess if it's at a high class place, but dont they usually train on the job?

Teacher's Pet
Uh, i didnt know one needed experience to wait tables. i guess if it's at a high class place, but dont they usually train on the job?

With corporate-owned restaurants, it depends on the volume of the business it does.

My last corporate job was so high-volume, they don't have the time to train people with no experience.

Without experience, you need to find a place that is not too busy, so you can learn properly (last thing a manager needs is someone to REALLY screw up with a packed house and a long line at the door)

For fine dining, you MUST have experience! Imagine your first table orders a $200 bottle of wine - would you know the proper way to serve it? :)

-tp

oops!

Trialbyfire
With corporate-owned restaurants, it depends on the volume of the business it does.

My last corporate job was so high-volume, they don't have the time to train people with no experience.

Without experience, you need to find a place that is not too busy, so you can learn properly (last thing a manager needs is someone to REALLY screw up with a packed house and a long line at the door)

For fine dining, you MUST have experience! Imagine your first table orders a $200 bottle of wine - would you know the proper way to serve it? :)

-tp

oops!

I did it one summer for a friend's parents restaurant, along with my friend. Neither one of us was amenable to the abuse that servers take. It taught me how not to treat a server.

Teacher's Pet
I did it one summer for a friend's parents restaurant, along with my friend. Neither one of us was amenable to the abuse that servers take. It taught me how not to treat a server.

Everyone should work for 6 months in a busy restaurant.

That could be considered "mandatory military service" :) :)

-tp

colonel lingus