Food for reception

If I were you,

I'd call my Indian restaurant here (where I often buy a pint of Indian food for 3 dollars) and see what they have.

It's really good and they have tons of different dishes to choose from.

You can ask some restaurant that you like and see if they'd make some dishes of food for cheap. Like those big trays with the fire underneath.

I'm sure I could serve 130 people with a few trays of Indian food for even less than that budget. It has no meat so is not that expensive, basically lentils, garbanzo beans, spinach, rice and so on.

Just call restaurants that are not that expensive and see what they can come up with. Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Thai, etc.

Trialbyfire
We are doing a garden wedding and it is not cheaper. Becuase you have to rent all the tables, chairs, dishes, catering trays service wear tents etc...

It is costing us $3,000.

We looked at a place and thier fee was 2K for the recption but it included all the chairs, dishes etc..

really you just have to price everything. Plus I was amazed at how much a price difference dfferent vendors were. The first place I priced my tents etc.. was $4,400. And went with another co and got it down to $3,000.

I do admit I am a dork and like spreadsheets and planning. I have budget spreadsheet, contact lists., payment schedule lists, guest lists rsvp lists.

I'm assuming since his parents are caterers, they would have many of these items, already.

I'm assuming since his parents are caterers, they would have many of these items, already.

a lot of caters at least in my area don't carry cafing dishes. You have to rent them.

But what helped me a lto was reading planning books because they lay out different ideas for different budgets. and helps you prioritze where spend your money.

ie. maybe you don't need to have dancing so have a cocktail receptions instead ans splurg on the venue. or buy in season wildflowers from a farmers market and say that way.

There are many different way to save money and still have a lovely wedding.

But it is very important to do your homework.

Trialbyfire
a lot of caters at least in my area don't carry cafing dishes. You have to rent them.

But what helped me a lto was reading planning books because they lay out different ideas for different budgets. and helps you prioritze where spend your money.

ie. maybe you don't need to have dancing so have a cocktail receptions instead ans splurg on the venue. or buy in season wildflowers from a farmers market and say that way.

There are many different way to save money and still have a lovely wedding.

But it is very important to do your homework.

I totally agree on planning everything, based on your budget and doing a lot of homework on it.

Keep in mind that if his parents own the catering business, they will not be holding back on what they're able to provide. You would just be a regular client.

Also, be realistic. Does it have to be linen table cloths/napkins, crystal and silver, or can it be something lesser?

I did have the princess wedding. In so many ways, it was a waste.

$1500 for 130 people? Wow. As someone mentioned earlier, I'll be paying about $30/plate. Seems pretty standard.

Honestly, the food you mentioned sounds tasty to me! And often, it's not the food that makes the atmosphere, but the surroundings and decorations. And if you have kids, they'll love that stuff.

What kind of food are you looking for? Start from there and work your way around. Check local catering prices. See if you can talk your FI's family into something else. Those are the only options you really have.

As for the kids, you can always seat the families with children with each other. Give 'em some butcher paper and crayons. It always kept me busy when I was a kid.