This guy I know just told me that he doesn't always use soap in the shower since apparently water cleans just as well. I've never heard this crap in my life! I can't even stand the thought of taking a shower and not using soap. He also told me according to dentists, toothpaste's only purpose is to make your breath smell fresher. It has no other effect on teeth.

Somebody please give input, I'm lost with this one...

Your friend is full of crap. Soap has many purposes, from a cleansing action, to antibacterial effects, to deodarizing. Water alone may help you feel clean for a short time but it will not have nearly the effects of soap and water.

Toothpaste has components that assist in cleaning and polishing the enamel of the teeth. Some coat the teeth with protective flouride. Some have ingredients that kill bacteria around the gums. Brushing the teeth with water is better than not brushing them at all, getting out food particles, etc., but it's not even close to the effects you get with toothpaste.

Your friend is either extremely stupid, can't afford soap and toothpaste, or he's just joking with you. If he's that stupid, I suggest you go find friends who use soap, toothpaste...and underarm deodarent.

Just A Girl2

What age is this dude? Sounds like he doesn't know the difference between Eugene and Hygiene. Yech.

Reminds me of a guy I used to date about 13 yrs ago. He had a problem with underarm "BO"......and I tolerate this problem of his for a long time, mostly cuz I was shy and didn't know how to broach the subject without hurting his feelings. I finally got to the point where I had to say something....it was bad. I asked him WHY he didn't use deodorant.....his response was, "I don't believe in it, it clogs up my pores." LOL

As a nurse, I can vouch for the fact that soap is important..otherwise if water did the job by itself, we wouldn't use it to bathe patients, etc.

I can't imagine water being enough to get rid of someone's sweaty crotch funk. He's probably one of those guys, too, who doesn't use a washcloth when washing/showering. That always blows my mind. We were raised as kids to also use a washcloth to wash our face before bed, or in the shower.....that you need to cloth to get enough 'friction' to really get rid of the funk and dead skin cells. I can't tell you how many guys I've dated who think this is bizarre. I guess they figure they can clean their sweaty, funk buttcrack with just their hand. Sorry but a hand just doesn't cut it. Even in hospital, nurses always provide washcloths to patients, ALWAYS. What does that say?

As for the toothpaste excuse....that's lame. There's been a handful of times in my life where I'd run out of toothpaste and had to brush without, and my mouth just didn't feel clean, and my breath wasn't as good as it could have been, had I used toothpaste. Depending which toothpaste he's referring to, lots of them contain ingredients to help cut down on the bacteria in the mouth (the mouth normally is a cesspool of bacteria..one of the dirtiest orifices in the body)....and bacteria is a large part of the reason we get bad breath (not to mention plaque on the tongue/back of the tongue)

In short, your guy sounds like a grub....and a dense one at that. Amazing that he'd "admit" his beliefs on cleanliness. Certainly not someone I'd want to kiss or get close to, or share the same bed with. YUCK!

I know I'm so grossed out...I liked this guy too! I don't think I can tolerate this new information though. I once had an ex-boyfriend who told me his ex-girlfriend didn't use soap "down there" because she was told that it was bad to use soap in that area. I've heard that once or twice IN MY LIFE but I find it disgusting.

This guy went as far as to say he doesn't smell any differently. I can't deal with this !!! What about oral sex? Is he oblivious to odours he might have or does he really not smell? I certainly don't want to ask him.

• 2 weeks later...