Question about a guy's weight/size

Just A Girl2

Met (not in person YET) a guy online through the personals a week ago, we've talked on the phone lots, just haven't had the chance to meet in person yet (will this coming weekend). We've exchanged pictures. I'd only seen a pic of him from the neck up (face shot), and decided to ask what type of build he had.

He told me last night (in email) that he's 6'2" and (a whopping) 250 lbs: that he's worked out off and on for about 16 yrs (he's 33 now), has a 'husky build', "big shoulders/legs" ...says he'd like to "lose a few pounds", that he doesn't have big gut, and that he's often been told he's a "big teddy bear."

Trying to picture this.

In all honesty, due to my history of abusive relationships/marriage, I've since tended to stay away from big hulking well-built muscle-bound guys (a conscious and subconscious thing), I suppose because there's that concern deep down that if they were to turn out to be an abusive guy in sheep's clothing, that if they're built like a brick sh*thouse that they'd be able to REALLY lay the boots to me.

In truth, I had no idea until asking last night, that this guy was "SO BIG."

Even for a guy who's muscular, "to me", 250 lbs sounds like a LOT, even at a height of 6'2"........or is it? I have dated a few guys this height over the years....guess they must have been more lean because I don't recall them weighing more than 200-210.

So this guy must be HUGE, no?

I don't get the impression that he works out regularly now.........though I believe his job is rather physically demanding.

Color me shallow, but I take good care of myself and I expect the same from someone I date......and I would be rather turned off by a big, sloppy guy.

Thoughts? Does his weight sound proportionate to his height/history of working out?

Thanks

JAG2

According to bestofhealth.com ( http://www.bestofhealth.com/pvgh/Previous/June99/weight.html ), a man should weigh about 106 pounds for the first five feet of height and six pounds for each additional inch of height. That would put a guy who is 6'2" at about 190 pounds of normal weight. (They do give a ten percent variance either way, up or down) Give him an extra 25 pounds for muscle from working out and I would guess he's just a slight bit on the husky side.

Other sites dealing with height/weigh proportion that I visited seem to generally agree with the above. Given the obesity epidemic now underway, it's probably very unrealistic to expect that many people will fall within those stated guidelines weight/heightwise. (At least not in the United States. Maybe people in Canada aren't stuffing themselves quite as much.)

I know your concern is for your personal safety. I don't think a huge guy is any more likely to be agressive than a smaller guy. I do understand your concern and if you simply aren't going to be comfortable around him, it's only fair to the both of you that you just don't see him. Why even get something started?

It's simply a shame that in a civilized world, women have to be concerned about this...but it is a reality that has to be taken into consideration.

I know a guy who is 6'2" and weighs right around 250. I would not consider him huge. He has some extra love handles and a little extra around the middle, but nothing hideous looking or what I would consider to be a big turn-off for girls. He's a good-looking guy with a really nice personality and I think that's what matters and what you will pick up on and notice first and foremost. I say go for it and just get to know him before making any judgements about his body. The only way to know is to meet him in person. Think of it this way: If he is a big teddy bear and has the personality to go with it he can be a man who will make you feel safe and secure. :)

Hey, from what I've seen, the smaller (skrawny) guys sometimes get the little Neopolean act going and can be as abusive as a well-framed man.

The big guys are usually the man's-man type of guy. At least give him a chance. He may be meek as a mouse. But definitely tell him about abuse you might have suffered to see his reaction.

Originally posted by NEONINK

Hey, from what I've seen, the smaller (skrawny) guys sometimes get the little Neopolean act going and can be as abusive as a well-framed man.

The big guys are usually the man's-man type of guy. At least give him a chance. He may be meek as a mouse. But definitely tell him about abuse you might have suffered to see his reaction.

Good post, I think that all makes a lot of sense.

As a point of reference I know some 6' guys that come in around 220 and 9% body fat. Very lean and muscular.

It's really hard to say what someone is going to look like with just stats. Depending on his bodytype (endo, ecto, mesomorph) he could be either kind of fat or really fit.

I would give the guy a chance, in my experience, most of the bigger guys can be very emotianally secure and sensetive guys.

It's the little scrawny guys that are always causing the trouble!

(just kidding all you pissed off little scrawny guys...)

I'm about 5'10" and 190 and I'm in pretty good shape, so you never know...

purecountry

I am a guy who is 6'3" and 195 pounds and all of my friends think I am scrawny so I don't think that guy is all that big. But muscle does weigh more than fat so if he works out or does a lot of physical stuff thenn he would weigh a bit more.

Why wonder about it. Ask him for a picture and judge him by his cover. I mean looks are everything. I mean stereotype him. Wait, what the hell am I talking about?

He told me last night (in email) that he's 6'2" and (a whopping) 250 lbs: that he's worked out off and on for about 16 yrs (he's 33 now), has a 'husky build', "big shoulders/legs" ...says he'd like to "lose a few pounds", that he doesn't have big gut, and that he's often been told he's a "big teddy bear."

A question I was born to answer!

6 foot 2 at 250 pounds with a modest bodyfat (15-19%) would be fairly sizeable. However, this is the Internet...where truth can roam free. I'm going to bet that he's carrying more bodyfat than he lets on. My guess is that he'd be a lean (~10%) build at around 220....which is pretty solid.

I'd ask for more thorough pictures....but I think you may have already met him by now.