Do I walk away from a 30-year friendship because of a fight?

Always Wrong

I haven't recieved so much as a thirty second phone call saying Brian's sorry for what Steve did. I refuse to appologize to Brian for being assaulted by HIS childhood friend and defending myself in his house. When you're in MY home, I'll protect you with everything at my disposal.

That is the kind of host that YOU are. Why hold it against Brian that he (Brian) is not like you when it comes to this particular thing?

If Steve had done a "good" thing in Brian's home, it would be unreasonable for Brian to take the credit -- similarly unreasonable to expect Brian to apologize for Steve's "bad" thing conducted in the same environment.

Your past and current relationship (or lack thereof) with Steve has absolutely nothing to do with Brian -- YOU are the one triangulating that, Brian has no responsibility in your adult relationships with other people.

Your own history with Steve goes back far and deep enough -- you were there to assist Steve with his bar bills and brawls independently of Brian. All of a sudden referring to him as just "Brian's childhood friend" is coming off as a cop-out of some sort.

If Brian's not looking for an apology then don't give it, simple as that. Or, are you feeling guilty for your part in the brouhaha at his place BUT also refusing to take responsibility for your part because "your childhood friend started it" (doesn't that sound rather like junior kindergarten?)

What's the real deal underneath all this drama that's going on in your head?

You are right. It's me. Not him. I am feeling guilty I didn't just pick up my coat and leave.

Likely because you are an incredibly loyal and devoted friend? - why guilt about that?

Brian has chosen to do what he feels is best for one and all, in this ugly mess. I really do think it's unfair to put anything on him at this point, or to feel disappointed in his actions in any way.

Over the years, it has served all of you to support Steve in his wayward ways, and supply "scooby snacks" and booze for his benefit. (If it didn't, you wouldn't have done it. That's just human nature.)

Now, each of you just needs to suck that up. Period. Full stop. Not bring it up in childish manner, and like you've all along been doing it so that some day in the future, Steve wouldn't go nuts and blast the freakin' stereo in your ear at 4am in the bleedin' morning :)

Come on -- it's already funnier than when you first posted...isn't it???

• Author
Always Wrong

Thanks Ronni W! Absolutely! You've cleared my attitude... rebooted my brain! I feel like a dumb*ss. This is so stupid it's funny now!

Thanks Ronni W! Absolutely! You've cleared my attitude... rebooted my brain! I feel like a dumb*ss. This is so stupid it's funny now!

*LOVE* hearing that!!! :love: Wishing you long and happy friendships, old and new.

You look like a cute, young guy. Why are you spending your time drinking so much? Thats the root of this. You and your 30 year long friend should shake and make up. You were both too drunk to know whats up. Thats the problem with alcohol. Find some other way to have (fun?). Isn't it expensive all that drinking?

• Author
Always Wrong

Yes it is... and in more ways than one. Thanks for the "cute" evaluation.:)

I guess growing up a musician in bars and clubs, being around alcohol and drunks just became the norm.

It's taken a long time to curtail that behavior. I am far better than I use to be. In fact, the only time I ever drink anymore is when I go to Brians. He's always got a shot in one hand and a beer in the other.

I'm stupid if I continue to subject myself to an environment that I know isn't good for me... yea, except for seeing him, I don't drink anymore. Hmmmm, maybe this event is the exit I've been looking for.

Edited by Always Wrong
Needed to add some thought to it...