Considering another job change...

SG, I think there is a clash of two things here. First, your ego. You want to do something great for your community to feel valued and to satisfy your ego. That's fine. However, you also mentioned how you wanted to be part of a small company where everyone is on the same team helping each other out. However, that would clash with your ego because you would then have to compromise with your team members. What I really think is that you rather prefer team environment over your ego because you rather have fun with your coworkers than feel egotistic. Maybe you could combine the two where you could be like a mini leader of your team, to kind of steer the group along the right path. That would give meaning to your job because others depend on you to make the right choices so you would feel needed. Maybe that's it. To just feel needed? What do you think about all this?

Star Gazer I think you should go for the job that fills your heart. Money will come if you're doing what you love.

May I ask you a question? Can you give me an estimate of how much a corporate labor lawyer makes a year?

• Author
May I ask you a question? Can you give me an estimate of how much a corporate labor lawyer makes a year?

I'm not sure I understand your question. "Corporate" lawyers can mean many things, but when attorneys refer to a "corporate attorney" we are generally referring to attorneys who deal with the formation of corporations, governing its bylaws/articles, shares, etc., and the protection of their assets as an entity. I've never heard of the term "corporate labor lawyer" or "corporate labor law." Corporations themselves often have in-house/general counsel that works for the company, not a private firm, and those attorneys may handle labor/employment issues, but they still aren't called a "corporate labor lawyer."

If what you meant to ask was what does an employment/labor attorney make at a big firm, that would range depending on the size of the firm, its reputation, and it's location. At a large firm, a first year could start anywhere from $65,000 to $165,000 per year depending on its reputation and location. The more prestigious firms in bigger cities will pay more. Smaller firms, or those firms in smaller cities will pay considerably less, very rarely hitting over 6 figures.

At my class level in my city, a big firm would pay anywhere from $115,000 to $180,000 per year for my area of law. A small firm would pay anywhere between $70,000 and $95,000. In-house would be anywhere between $80,000 and $150,000, and a county job would pay around $85,000. The higher the pay, the more hours you're expected to bill and the more business you're expected to generate.

There's a LOT of variance and far too many variables to make it an easy equation.

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry about my ignorance pertaining to law. The person I'm talking about works for a large corporation in a large city and is general counsel in labor law. I think that's correct.

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry about my ignorance pertaining to law. The person I'm talking about works for a large corporation in a large city and is general counsel in labor law. I think that's correct.

Oh and he's worked for the corporation for at least 20 years.

Why are you trying to figure out how much someone makes? If this is any of your business you should be able to ask HIM.

AriaIncognito

Knowing other peoples salaries unfortunately isn't our business. I wish it was. I hate when people in my same job are secretive about what they make. I just wanna know if i'm comparable lol.

AriaIncognito

On the other hand, I could also leave my current firm and actually go work for a truly large firm with the same office dynamic (if not better, because other professional benefits would be included) and get paid about $30-50K more, plus bonuses That's right. That's a lot of money. But it would come with the same disadvantages. That said, if it's the same gig, why not move on...right? Or am I having a grass-is-greener moment?

I'm not sure what advice I'm really looking for, or if I'm just processing my thoughts. I'm just so very, very tired at the end of every day, and I feel like it's all for nothing. If I'm going to have to spend a substantial amount of time away from my loved ones and not doing the things I love as I have over the past year, I feel as though it should be worth it - either monetarily, or from some inner self-satisfaction.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I don't feel like you would be happy if you were to take a similar position as what you're in now, for more money. Money, as we all know, is nice to have, but if you dont get any free time to use it, what's the point in having it.

I think you know your answer here. You dont want to take the 30-50k more job because it would still render you a slave to the company.

If you believe you are able to live off the salary of a DA or something similar within the state system, then I'd say go for it. It sounds like it's what you really want to do. When you're doing something you really want to do, you wont notice it when you sometimes are at work past quitting time.

There are some days when I'm at work (rare - but some) that I get so excited and caught up in what I'm doing that I don't mind the extra time. However, more often than not, I find it hard to even drag myself in every day.

It's a hard decision, you'll really need to weigh your financial situation and see what you could pheasibly consider.