What does "I could grow to love you" mean?

loveless569

• Author
I am just curious on this one. I had someone say this to me and didn't want to push them on what they meant. Any ideas on the meaning?

Sure. We had been going out for a few months and were intimate too. I asked the person how they felt about me and us being together. That's when the "I could grow to love you" statement came in. Was it a compliment, an insult, or something to act on? Any ideas on the meaning?

It sounds like they are saying that they arent that interested in you. but over time they can learn. sort of like they feel like they are limiting theirselves.

Sounds like they have already become to have interest in you and would like to take it slow for you to grow on them sorta speak. Sounds like they just want to go slow IMO

Just sounds like they may be interested in you for the long term. It's not a bad thing.

Exactly. Love is something you construct. It is a big, huge bon fire and at some point you intend to toss the match. He's willing to stack wood for you.

It might mean that they really aren't that into you but they are trying to convince themselves (and you), that over time, their feelings will change. Unfortunately, it doesn't usually work that way.

Growing in love with somebody is the very best way, if it can happen. A person learns about you over time and loves what they feel being with you. It's much better than a chemical driven love that goes bonkers early on and then fizzles. if a person learns to love you over a period of time, becomes more comfortable with you, gains respect and admiration, misses you when you're not around...that's a far more stable and solid love that the 'feel great this minute" type of fireworks that falls in love with the chemicals and not with the person.

Give him some time...not forever...but enough time to see how it goes. He sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I think I actually said this before... Anyways, this is my translation:

- You might be good for me but I am not quite sure. There are other potential relationships for me out there so in the meantime, I will just explore..... If I fail, I will come back for you -

It sounds like a line from a movie...

...I think it means he sees potential there for a real, loving relationship

...or, he wants to give you the impression that he sees potential for a loving relationship

It might mean that they really aren't that into you but they are trying to convince themselves (and you), that over time, their feelings will change. Unfortunately, it doesn't usually work that way.

I agree with this person. I've said something similar and that's the way I meant it.

It sounds like a line from a movie...

...I think it means he sees potential there for a real, loving relationship

...or, he wants to give you the impression that he sees potential for a loving relationship

I completely agree with this, including the first line. ;)