Co worker threatens to shoot us...

If your employer is already side-stepping the issue, I would just contact the police. This guy sounds like a time bomb ready to go off. If he does wind up with a conviction for what is labeled "Terroristic Threats" in my state, he would definitely get the help he needs - and plenty of monitoring by mental health professionals and probation.

This person needs to be reported immediately to HR, but the problem is that nothing has been done about this at all. If HR does anything, there's a fair chance this guy could literally go off.

Anytime someone starts behaving in a threatening, violent and erratic manner, HR needs to step in and deal with the situation in no uncertain terms. HR could fire the guy but that may not be necessary or even helpful. If HR's smart they're going to help get the guy some anger management counseling or something. But they'll deal with the situation progressively.

Workplace violence is a growing issue, and one that employers are still having a hard time dealing with. It simply cannot be tolerated, but how to deal with it - whether to just fire someone or whether to intervene and take on a more paternal role - is something that a lot of companies are debating these days.

The other side to this discussion is security. It's not enough to deal with the individual. There have to be procedures in place to prepare the company to deal with the potential for reprisal. I think a private security firm should be an option for those companies who can afford it, though it's not necessary. There should be cooperation with law enforcement. The police don't necessarily have to charge anyone with a crime, but they should always be aware of the situation at hand. Anytime an employee like this is disciplined, the police should be notified. They may not be able to intervene immediately, but they can be on alert and also advise you how to deal with the situation.

If it were my company, the policy would be that anytime someone does something threatening or engages in workplace assault, the person would be subject to a minimum of a suspension. If it were a permanent employee who had a satisfactory record, I would offer anger management counseling (at his/her expense). A second offense would be grounds for immediate and automatic termination. And again, take security measures into account. Workplace violence is far too common in this country, and it definitely has ot be taken seriously.

nittygritty
I think this is a great idea to ask my co~worker and any others who have overheard him saying this to come forward and help report this. The worse thing that can happen is that he realizes he needs help and maybe get his medication altered..

But he is covered under the FMLA which he calls in sick alot ( and admits sometimes that he wasn't really sick ) so he can call in and not face the same demerits we will receive for doing the same. He has a medical condition which gives him on~going FMLA protection which he admits to abusing...

So I wonder if he can use that to try and secure the job ?

If you and other employees report it to the company then the company has the responsibility of providing a safe workplace. He may attempt a lawsuit if he is fired but it is illegal for him to be threatening to shoot people.

Call the non emergency number and speak to a police officer about this. They will be able to tell you what to do and at the very least will investigate the situation. If someone is a threat to themselves or others they are usually committed to a mental facility.

The company faces a bigger lawsuit by being made aware, doing nothing and keeping an employee who is threatening to shoot other employees than terminating his employment and the possibility of having to fight a wrongful termination lawsuit.

He would have to have a medical release to return to work and something like this behavior has serious repercussions. The likelyhood of a slap on the wrist or being prescribed medication without any lengthy treatment and returning to work quickly is doubtful. He has to find a doctor to declare him mentally able to return to work. Maybe he will choose disability instead? Regardless, your safety and the safety of others takes priority over an employee whose threatening to shoot people at work.

Let the Company figure out how to deal with their problem. You just need to be able to go to work without fear of being shot. You have to report this.

This may fall under workplace harrassment or hostile working environment? I don't know but you should research it.

I think that maybe he is mad that he lost his ex. I would talk to him as a friend and find out what's troubling him. If he is crazy then my concern is that if he is fired, he will come to work with guns blazing.

I think that maybe he is mad that he lost his ex. I would talk to him as a friend and find out what's troubling him. If he is crazy then my concern is that if he is fired, he will come to work with guns blazing.

It sounds like that's a job for a psychiatric professional rather than a colleague. Where I live, people can get sectioned under the Mental Health legislation for the kind of behaviour he's displaying. Owning a stash of guns and muttering about shooting colleagues is surely enough to get an individual yanked into the local psychiatric hospital and kept there under a compulsory treatment order while professionals assess the risk they're likely to present to others.

Perhaps a discreet call to your local community mental health services, Mary3?

my immediate thought is to go to the police. Like why nacy pancy around with HR if this guy is making threats to kill people. You just don't know what people are capable of and he sounds reeallly unbalanced.

It is sticky though, because if you dob him in and he could go ballistic. This is very serious.

littlekitty

Mary report him, and DO IT NOW!!!

Have we not learnt lessons from the past? In nearly every horiffic mass shooting in the US in recent history there have been signs of what was to come, which someone choose to ignore.

Take the Virgina Tech Shootings and the teacher who was worried by the violence in his writings, but never did anything about it.

Take action - just in case.

We all get angry with co-workers. We complain and the complaints begin new rumors. My own complaints are in I am being treated unfairly and my co workers are also aware of this.

But with today's world, a verbal thought of wanting to kill someone is not considered a rumor. It's the beginning of a plan. This needs to be actioned.

Don't go through your immediate boss. Go up the line straight to the Top. Let them know you are also taking this to HR.

The company and ALL employees are at risk to walk in to a potential explosion.

If the Management or HR takes this lightly go to the police.

This is a very serious matter!

I'd report him to the police and wear a bulletproof vest to work under my clothes if I were you, and avoid being in the same room wtih him as much as possible.

sunshinegirl

Have we not learnt lessons from the past? In nearly every horiffic mass shooting in the US in recent history there have been signs of what was to come, which someone choose to ignore.

Take the Virgina Tech Shootings and the teacher who was worried by the violence in his writings, but never did anything about it.

I could not agree more with this!!!!

Someone with access to firearms, who is mentally unstable, and who makes verbal threats to kill people in the workplace is the exact profile of someone who later becomes a mass murderer.

Please, please please also read The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. The author urges us not to ignore our gut instincts - and yours seem to be screaming that something is very seriously wrong.

I guess document document document.....that way if something does happen the employer will be held liable for not doing anything at all....Thats why I suggested HR Direct...

Mary, what good will documents do if he carries through with his threats?

Take this threat VERY seriously. Go to the HR and leave an annomous complaint. If this doesn't work, go to the higher uppers and make one. Tell the police as well.

Are his guns all registered? He is seriously imbalanced and it would do ALOT of good to notify the police that this man is making death threats, and has many weapons at home. You never know where and when he'll snap. If it doesn't happen at work, it could happen elsewhere. You reporting this guy could save lives.

• Author
If your employer is already side-stepping the issue, I would just contact the police. This guy sounds like a time bomb ready to go off. If he does wind up with a conviction for what is labeled "Terroristic Threats" in my state, he would definitely get the help he needs - and plenty of monitoring by mental health professionals and probation.

Thank you luv....I return to work tomorrow and this concern must be addressed with my employer and the police.

• Author
This person needs to be reported immediately to HR, but the problem is that nothing has been done about this at all. If HR does anything, there's a fair chance this guy could literally go off.

Anytime someone starts behaving in a threatening, violent and erratic manner, HR needs to step in and deal with the situation in no uncertain terms. HR could fire the guy but that may not be necessary or even helpful. If HR's smart they're going to help get the guy some anger management counseling or something. But they'll deal with the situation progressively.

Workplace violence is a growing issue, and one that employers are still having a hard time dealing with. It simply cannot be tolerated, but how to deal with it - whether to just fire someone or whether to intervene and take on a more paternal role - is something that a lot of companies are debating these days.

The other side to this discussion is security. It's not enough to deal with the individual. There have to be procedures in place to prepare the company to deal with the potential for reprisal. I think a private security firm should be an option for those companies who can afford it, though it's not necessary. There should be cooperation with law enforcement. The police don't necessarily have to charge anyone with a crime, but they should always be aware of the situation at hand. Anytime an employee like this is disciplined, the police should be notified. They may not be able to intervene immediately, but they can be on alert and also advise you how to deal with the situation.

If it were my company, the policy would be that anytime someone does something threatening or engages in workplace assault, the person would be subject to a minimum of a suspension. If it were a permanent employee who had a satisfactory record, I would offer anger management counseling (at his/her expense). A second offense would be grounds for immediate and automatic termination. And again, take security measures into account. Workplace violence is far too common in this country, and it definitely has ot be taken seriously.

Thank you amerkajin . The first thing I noticed about *work place violence~shooters * is that most of the employees that have been *terminated* usually come back for retaliation .... usually with a gun...

I think Suspension would not help much if someone were truly pumped up on medication and personal problems at home / and anger issues all the time and angry that they were suspended. I think suspension and termination would add fuel to the fire and cause a firestorm of attack.

We do have security but they only check the ladies handbags . They never check the males coming or leaving. He wears baggy pants so he could slip a few handguns in and nobody would be the wiser.

Its almost a lose lose situation for the employees and the employer. You get an employee who's mental state deteriorates and then you have to get him out of the workplace and keep him out until he gets better ( if ever ).

This guy always says " I hate my f*** job * Its kinda scarey and irritating to hear that all the time...

I noticed you said he was on steroids.

This can really change a person and make them VERY ANGRY. Some of them cannot control their emotions. He needs to be reported the urged to find new meds.

I remember years ago I had to take prednizone (which is a steroid) and it made me change too. I never acted out on it, but I was RAGING inside. Everything, and I mean everything pissed me off.

After 5 weeks of it, I refused to take it and was slowly weaned off. You can't just stop taking it.

Anyway, remember that wrestler that just killed his wife and kid. I think it was the steroids in his case too.

Do report him. But I am 100% CERTAIN his meds are causing his personality changes. Steroids can make people EVIL.

Good Luck to you and him!

• Author
If you and other employees report it to the company then the company has the responsibility of providing a safe workplace. He may attempt a lawsuit if he is fired but it is illegal for him to be threatening to shoot people.

Call the non emergency number and speak to a police officer about this. They will be able to tell you what to do and at the very least will investigate the situation. If someone is a threat to themselves or others they are usually committed to a mental facility.

The company faces a bigger lawsuit by being made aware, doing nothing and keeping an employee who is threatening to shoot other employees than terminating his employment and the possibility of having to fight a wrongful termination lawsuit.

He would have to have a medical release to return to work and something like this behavior has serious repercussions. The likelyhood of a slap on the wrist or being prescribed medication without any lengthy treatment and returning to work quickly is doubtful. He has to find a doctor to declare him mentally able to return to work. Maybe he will choose disability instead? Regardless, your safety and the safety of others takes priority over an employee whose threatening to shoot people at work.

Let the Company figure out how to deal with their problem. You just need to be able to go to work without fear of being shot. You have to report this.

This may fall under workplace harrassment or hostile working environment? I don't know but you should research it.

I really like your idea of calling the non emergency number to at least get an idea of what our rights are as employees and what our employers rights and obligations are too .

This is a powerful scarey thing to do but it must be done . It must be told . I feel very sorry for him but he is scaring us. I have to think of our jobs and our lives if he gets pissed off a little too much and hurts all of us.

Another interesting thing : Regarding Cho the VT killer : This report : He didn’t “just snap” but instead acquired the weapons weeks earlier.

He was considered a threat by others, even though he didn’t make any explicit threats.

Fellow students and teachers raised concerns about his behavior.

Cho caused a great deal of concern on the Virginia Tech campus before Monday's mass shooting, even being committed to a mental health facility for a day or two in 2005 after he made a second unwanted contact with female students, campus officials said Wednesday. His writings and behavior in class alarmed other students and teachers. His roommates heard him talk of suicide.

But because he didn’t threaten to harm anyone, university officials said, there was little more they could do.

You see how scarey that was ? He didn't even threaten before he carried out. How can the Universities and Employers protect their own with this kind of thing going on ?

Cho had a counselor who tried very hard to help him but he refused treatment . I think he was at a health center though for a brief time.

What if this employee of ours refuses help ?

• Author

I used to try and talk to him....

I used to care but he became so mean and unstable ( hot cold ) I just backed off.

I would love to say :" Hey you know the other day when you shoved that cart over, you were really out of control " But whats the point. He is out of control everyday.

Isn't that the employers responsibility to control the employee ?~ I mean our supervisor had left when this occured.

Then later he tried to be nice to me after I witnessed the violence. Its just too creepy . I know its my responsiblity to report erratic behavior but his behavior is erratic even around the supervisors and he pitches a big fit when you ask him to do anything anymore...

Now I'm done with his fits of rage. I just want to protect my co~workers and myself....

• Author
It sounds like that's a job for a psychiatric professional rather than a colleague. Where I live, people can get sectioned under the Mental Health legislation for the kind of behaviour he's displaying. Owning a stash of guns and muttering about shooting colleagues is surely enough to get an individual yanked into the local psychiatric hospital and kept there under a compulsory treatment order while professionals assess the risk they're likely to present to others.

Perhaps a discreet call to your local community mental health services, Mary3?

Yes lindya ,this is another good idea. I can contact NAMI ( National Alliance of the Mentally Ill ) or a local center. and find out what they think is the best approach. We do have a right to a safe work environment .

• Author

Yes littlekitty I will report it . It seems people take their anger out on large groups of people. It happens alot. What is the answer to this workplace violence ? What can the employees do to protect themselves ? Sometimes there is no warning at all but just signs that someone is acting strange or disturbed...

• Author
We all get angry with co-workers. We complain and the complaints begin new rumors. My own complaints are in I am being treated unfairly and my co workers are also aware of this.

But with today's world, a verbal thought of wanting to kill someone is not considered a rumor. It's the beginning of a plan. This needs to be actioned.

Don't go through your immediate boss. Go up the line straight to the Top. Let them know you are also taking this to HR.

The company and ALL employees are at risk to walk in to a potential explosion.

If the Management or HR takes this lightly go to the police.

This is a very serious matter!

I sincerely hope they do take it seriously and get him some help, thanks .

• Author
I'd report him to the police and wear a bulletproof vest to work under my clothes if I were you, and avoid being in the same room wtih him as much as possible.

Yes but he could get me in the parking garage...Thankfully he does not know where I live...

• Author
I noticed you said he was on steroids.

This can really change a person and make them VERY ANGRY. Some of them cannot control their emotions. He needs to be reported the urged to find new meds.

I remember years ago I had to take prednizone (which is a steroid) and it made me change too. I never acted out on it, but I was RAGING inside. Everything, and I mean everything pissed me off.

After 5 weeks of it, I refused to take it and was slowly weaned off. You can't just stop taking it.

Anyway, remember that wrestler that just killed his wife and kid. I think it was the steroids in his case too.

Do report him. But I am 100% CERTAIN his meds are causing his personality changes. Steroids can make people EVIL.

Good Luck to you and him!

Okay, I went on a pharmacutical site trying to find out which meds cause aggression...

Its seems about 20 do , he takes 10+ types of medication a day ( he says ) and most of the drugs that cause aggression are for epilepsy but he does not have that problem. He does however take the steroid based drugs for asthma...He does have asthma and there are steroid based drugs for asthma listed... He also has back problems and takes numerous meds for the back and for the asthma. He has other medical problems and I don't remember what they all are...

I know 122 wrestlers have died from steroids according to the news the other night...

Sweet Chestnut
Yes but he could get me in the parking garage...Thankfully he does not know where I live...

Maybe you are exagerating it all, the best is to talk to the people in charge at your work place and have a meeting on this, and to tlak with others who have been victims of his access of anger, and also to have the boss at that place or another person in charg of HR to contact his doctor and ask him to help.

Also a talk with him will be best. Ask him to talk with his doctor about those different medicins he takes as the problem could be that soem of them do not go together and when taken together have those effects on the person.

Instead of going crazy in assumptions and worse case scenarios projections, just go to the guy and ask him if some of his medecins are not uncompatible, and if he could ask his doc to do soemthing about htat cuase you and others have noticed a change in his carachter since some months, and that it is affecting many as his death threats are taken seriously.

Just talk to him, and if he isnt responding positivly, just contact his superiors. I think that he must be conscious of the problem, and might need help to can do something about it. If the problem origin is only themedicin he is taking then it can be solved very easily by taking another one and even by changing soem of those who arent compatible and affect his humor.

Did you tried to have a word with him about your fears, and about how his anger affect you and others?

Also a talk with him will be best. Ask him to talk with his doctor about those different medicins he takes

just go to the guy and ask him if some of his medecins are not uncompatible, and if he could ask his doc to do soemthing about htat cuase you and others have noticed a change in his carachter since some months, and that it is affecting many as his death threats are taken seriously.

Just talk to him, and if he isnt responding positivly, just contact his superiors.

Please do not talk to him directly yourself, especially telling him his meds might be off and the such, and that you fear he'll act on his threats!!!! Oh my goodness, please don't do something that stupid. You will be his number one target and add fuel to all his emotions, making him feel like a nutcase on meds gone wrong.

I would talk to your boss and suggest you feel it is not a safe environment to work in and have them do something about it, have them talk to this lunatic, not you!!! Don't take that advice at all.

I wouldn't say anything that would set the guy off. I would be nice to him and say goodmorning and go on and do your work. Keep an eye on him though, and if it does get worse, I would tell HR to come and watch the guy and how he acts. Tell HR he said something about bringing a gun to work.

If you are afraid that he will find out it is you. Type the note, don't hand write it, and do not sign it.. put on the desk. I'm hearing too much about people coming into work or schools and shooting people too much lately. Good luck with everything, and I also hope the guy gets the help he needs.