Why do some bosses keep bad employees

She would leave early on average at least 1x every 2 weeks bc she had to pick up her kids from school or her kid was sick or she felt sick and my boss never refused anyone from leaving early. Then there were the personal calls. Granted we all have to make calls at work but her cell phone would be out on her desk ringing off the hook and she would be sitting at the front desk talking on her cell for half an hr to 45 min at a time...this was all while my boss was in the office and nothing was ever said. My employees complained about her every day so I know by boss had to see and hear things yet he did nothing.

I work with a girl EXACTLY like this! She is nice and a good friend of mine, but she does this exact same thing. It drives me nuts! Her kids are ALWAYS sick. If it's not one thing, it's another. And she's always arguing on the work phone with her children's father. Even though she's my friend, I do believe that she needs to be fired. I usually have to pick up on her slack when she doesn't get her work done, because she's always on the phone and on Myspace all day while at work. But the thing is, when she is gone, my boss and her assistant talk crap about her! Which is defintely not professional. And I've heard straight from my boss's mouth, her saying that she doesn't want to fire the girl because then she'd have to do her work! NOT COOL!

I EXTREMELY dislike my boss.