Do you walk around naked in front of your kids?

RecordProducer

• Author
RecordProducer
So this is actually something I find kind of interesting. I grew up in the States in a pretty up tight family as far as nudity goes... I maybe saw my parents naked once and even that is kind of a fuzzy memory. So I grow up and meet this german girl and then move to germany and things were totally different here. She has some younger siblings and there were times when we would have to share the bathroom all together. It would be very common for 2 people to be brushing their teeth, one in the shower and one on the toilet all naked or at different time points naked. Also, her parents had a sauna and a hottub at the house so it would be completely normal for the whole family, me, some neighbor, friends or who ever to be in the sauna at once. Clothes and towels are not worn in a german sauna ;-) Plus, going to the beach is also prettying interesting as there are many here where everyone is naked, been there with the whole family as well.

Anyways, so the point is there is a ton of nakedness here and I have to say I think it is great. It is so much easier in the morning to just be able to walk in and out of the bathroom. I never realized until I came here how "ashamed" I was of my body, like it is something to hide. I can definitely say if I ever get a chance to have kids that I will try to raise them as "naked" as possible.

I think nakedness as something natural is OK, but as a symbol of sexual liberation - is not OK when kids and adults are mixed. If I had a daughter, I wouldn't want her naked in front of other men or men who are not her father - naked in front of her. :)

Genius RP --- PURE GENIUS :lmao:;)
:p

My ex had a daughter from his first marriage that nobody could ever stand. Even worse was that she was little, lived with us (had no mom), and very demanding. As much as I wanted to love her, I couldn't, and even though I was nice to her and faked love, our marriage fell apart because of her (thank God! :laugh:). It's not easy to live with kids born in previous relationshiops, unless the kids are really good and love you. Don't ever fight because of the kids, because they might piss you off, but it hurts him when he sees that you don't get along with them (if you don't). I have two kids with the ex I mentioned and live with my second husband who absolutely adores them and they adore him. So the situatuion is really easy now, but I don't think I could live with a husband who has children again, even though i have kids. My husband doesn't have any and I don't think I would have married him had he had kids from another woman.

All you can do is endure this period in a stoic manner and wait for them to gorw up ands move the F out. :D

I can definitely say if I ever get a chance to have kids that I will try to raise them as "naked" as possible.

well, for one, you'll save a lot of euros on clothes :laugh:

I think nakedness as something natural is OK, but as a symbol of sexual liberation - is not OK when kids and adults are mixed. If I had a daughter, I wouldn't want her naked in front of other men or men who are not her father - naked in front of her.

I agree partially, and I'll amplify my earlier comments slightly by saying that I would be comfortable around the house only with my own children, and will respect the age where they prefer to start covering up and keeping things private.

I completely expect that as my own kids get older things will change, and that I would feel very different within a blended family (i.e. stepchildren.) I think my kids and I feel this comfort only because we have a family bond built right from birth. Hey, I've been pooped on, peed on, barfed on, bled on...

I think that until the stage where kids start thinking sexually, nudity within the family is just the bodies that have always been there, and it doesn't create any confusion or anguish, unless the parents feel those things themselves. Once children do start thinking sexually, they will naturally want to start establishing boundaries, and families should mutually respect those boundaries.

• Author
RecordProducer

Trimmer, I agree with you. As I said, my kids do see me naked, although I make sure they don't see my vagina. My boobs are extention of my body and skin, they have sucked them, and no need to hide them from my 8-year old sons for now. They don't even look at them, because they don't see a big deal about it.

But being naked around people who are not members of my family to me has a highly sexual connotation, not because of any prejudices, but simply because I would feel either aroused or uncomfortable being naked around other men. Nonetheless I wouldn't see any problem about being nude in front of other women. My mother-in-law and I were getting undressed in front of each other at the pool's locker room and it's really not a big deal to me. I happen to have seen her breasts and vagina and she's probably seen mine. So what?

Do any of you that do this think your children want to see this? Or do they think that's normal?

In my case, I wouldn't say that they specifically want to see it, nor do they want to not see it. It's not something I do consciously because I have analyzed it and come to the conclusion that we should; it's just something that has been a natural evolution starting from the time I changed diapers and wiped their butts and privates. It wasn't a big deal then, and no one has made a big deal of it now, so I would characterize our approach to it as "normal."

If I'm walking the 8 feet to the bathroom and it's cold and I happen to put on a robe, fine. If I don't, it doesn't seem to stir up any controversy. My daughter still asks me to help her dry her back and hair when she gets out of the shower. I've told her that as she gets older she will probably want to be more private and I will respect it when that time comes. Her response is something of the order of "yeah I know, but for now, I like it when you help me."

And again, along with their development into adolescence and adulthood, as they become beings aware of their sexual feelings, I recognize that it will continue to evolve further, and I fully expect it will become "normal" for us to feel more comfortable not to walk down the hallway nude any more. Then out of respect for that, I'll just make sure I have on a robe or a pair of shorts... No big deal either way.

You know the closest thing I've seen to my parents being butt naked is seeing my dad walk down the hall and into the kitchen in his SPEEDO. :laugh::laugh:

• Author
RecordProducer
Do any of you that do this think your children want to see this? Or do they think that's normal?
What about yelling, hitting, criticizing, divorcing, moving, going back to work when they're 2 months old, leaving them with baby-siters or in a day-care center, bringing new lovers and spouses in their lives, doing "more important" things than spending time with them... do parents ask their children how they like it?

We ARE discussing this issue that seems to come naturally and spontaneously. We do wonder how it affects their psyche and if we're doing the right thing. :)

What about yelling, hitting, criticizing, divorcing, moving, going back to work when they're 2 months old, leaving them with baby-siters or in a day-care center, bringing new lovers and spouses in their lives, doing "more important" things than spending time with them... do parents ask their children how they like it?

We ARE discussing this issue that seems to come naturally and spontaneously. We do wonder how it affects their psyche and if we're doing the right thing. :)

Okay sorry. I was just asking.

I had no problem whatsoever changing in front of guys or girls in high school

Changing in front of guys AND girls? Where were the girls like you when I was in high school? :)

BTW - It strikes me as ...well, I guess strange would be the word that someone would try to project sexual overtones on casual nudity within a family. That seems to be an undercurrent to some posts...

Mr. Lucky