• Author
They have water at Toxic Hell and its also cold, refreshing & delicious, its all in how you look at it....;);)

Yes, this is true, and i love water as well, honestly I wanted a diet coke, bad :)

I caved! :mad::(:laugh:

By doing this, you've proven to be weak-willed and evil in the eyes of the Almighty. When you fail like this, Allina, then you have to make up for it. You have to punish yourself. You need to take a lighter and burn all the hair off your arm or slam your fingers in a door a few times or something like that.

Redemption is what you need.

dropdeadlegs
By doing this, you've proven to be weak-willed and evil in the eyes of the Almighty. When you fail like this, Allina, then you have to make up for it. You have to punish yourself. You need to take a lighter and burn all the hair off your arm or slam your fingers in a door a few times or something like that.

Sounds a bit masochistic, but to each his own.

• Author

Ew, I don't have hairy arms you know.

I work with a professor who studies organic and biological chemistry, so I have done a bit of research on this topic, and I am sure that I know too much for my own good :)

phosphoric acid likes to bond to calcium, so if you drink sodas that contain it the calcium that is in your diet will bind to the phosphoric acid and not be absorbed into your system, it will just pass through your digestive system as if it wasn't there to begin with, this only happens to the point where it becomes a problem if you drink several sodas per day.

One of the main things that scientists are worried about with artificial sweeteners (saccharin, aspartame, etc.), according to the majority of the studies that I have read, is that they contain benzene rings, benzene is hard to break apart under any conditions, but especially in the human body. Natural sugars (sucrose, glucose, fructose, etc) don't have a benzene ring and are easy for your body to break down. What they haven't figure out for sure is what your body does with the benzene rings that it can't break down. Some studies have linked heavy consumption in rats to cancer, but the amounts that have caused cancer are nearly impossible to achieve in humans unless you use artificial sweeteners on everything all day long. One major concern right now is that there may be serious long term effects from using these sweeteners regularly, but they haven't been around long enough to tell for sure.

That's interesting, as there is a theory that Fibromyalgia is caused by excess phosphate and calcium accumulation in cells. The theory was formed by Dr. Paul St. Amand, and is usally found under a search for "guaifenesin protocol" He came up with the theory after finding that fibromyalgia patients responded to gout medications, but was unable to find a build up of uric acid. So he theorized that it was phosphates and calcium building up in the body.

It's complicated, so I wont even try to explain it, but this is from Wikipedia, and explains it better than I possibly could. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibromyalgia

Deposition disease

Another theory involves phosphate and calcium accumulation in cells that eventually reaches a level to impede the ATP process, possibly caused by a kidney defect or missing enzyme that prevents the removal of excess phosphates from the blood stream. This theory posits that fibromyalgia is an inherited disorder, and that phosphate buildup in cells is gradual (but can be accelerated by trauma or illness). Calcium is required for the excess phosphate to enter the cells. The additional phosphate slows down the ATP process; however the excess calcium prods the cell to continue producing ATP[19].

Diagnosis is made with a specialized technique called mapping, a gentle palpitation of the muscles to detect lumps and areas of spasm that are thought to be caused by an excess of calcium in the cytosol of the cells. This mapping approach is specific to deposition theory, and is not related to the trigger points of myofascial pain syndrome.

While this theory does not identify the causative mechanism in the kidneys, it proposes a treatment known as guaifenesin therapy. This treatment involves administering the drug guaifenesin to a patient's individual dosage, avoiding salicylic acid in medications or on the skin, and, if the patient is also hypoglycemic, a diet designed to keep insulin levels low.

The phosphate build-up theory explains many of the symptoms present in fibromyalgia and proposes an underlying cause. The guaifenesin treatment, based on this theory, has received mixed reviews, with some practitioners claiming many near-universal success and others reporting no success. Only one controlled clinical trial has been conducted to date, and it showed no evidence of the efficacy of this treatment protocol. This study was criticized for not limiting the salicylic acid exposure in patients, and for studying the effectiveness of only guaifenesin, not the entire treatment method. As of 2005, further studies to test the protocol's effectiveness are in the planning stages, with funding for independent studies largely collected from groups which advocate the theory. It should be noted that nothing in the scientific literature supports the proposition that fibromyalgia patients have excessive levels of phosphate in their tissues.

Phosphoric acid likes to bond to calcium, so if you drink sodas that contain it the calcium that is in your diet will bind to the phosphoric acid and not be absorbed into your system, it will just pass through your digestive system as if it wasn't there to begin with, this only happens to the point where it becomes a problem if you drink several sodas per day.

Another theory involves phosphate and calcium accumulation in cells that eventually reaches a level to impede the ATP process, possibly caused by a kidney defect or missing enzyme that prevents the removal of excess phosphates from the blood stream.

I am not well versed in science, but since my illness came on after more than fourteen years of drinking a six pack (or more) a day of soda (eleven of those years being diet) I wonder if there may really be a connection to my symptoms? Excess phosphates in my system? Wonder where the nitrates come in there?

Man soda is nasty stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

really its something that you just have to keep working at. when you go to the grocery store, instead of buying cases of soda (pop), pick up bottled water or some other type of drink. You can also go for flavored water because I know a few people who think the taste of water is too bleh. Last summer I just started drinking bottled water and juices (juice has lots of sugars so a ton of this isnt great either) more often. I wasnt really trying to kick the soda habit but then it just kind of happened, no problem at all. This summer Ive decided to begin weightlifting and Ive already taken a step towards becoming more healthy. I do have a soda every once in awhile but usually only if Im out driving somewhere or go out to eat with some friends. I havnt truly had much soda at all in over a year now. Ive never had a energy drink either and I dont drink coffee. Its doable.

Try green tea. Its what Ive been starting to drink a lot of now and it is healthy for you. It does have some caffeine, although much less, so it might be a good transition. Look up green tea too, there are several positive things it does for your body.

Try drinking vitamin water, it is sweet enough to help with your cravings but it is actually surprisingly good for you. I am addicted!

• 2 weeks later...
mikefarber

coffee isnt that much better than soda. Coffee gives you wrinkles faster as you grow into your mid-ages. scientists did research and did an experiment. scientists had a cup of soda and had a wisdom tooth dropped into it. in 24 hours, the wisdom tooth completely dissolved. soda is something that makes ppl a bit hyper and more attentive. if you need something like that, get maybe a granola bar, even a piece of gum, or some type of hard-candy(jolly-rancher, jawbreakers, etc) this helps me a lot. it kind of helps me wake up in the mornings before i go to school

I once held a mouthful of Coke in my mouth for 24 hours, and all my teeth dissolved. It was a remarkably healthy mouthful of Coke though, because it ended up being absolutely loaded with Calcium. Good for your bones.

• 1 month later...

Certainly drinking soda is better than smoking,but try having just a couple of sodas a day for now....I find that excess soda everyday makes me tired as hell. I do swear soda is just as addicting as Tobacco...

Are you sure? Does soda contains caffeine less?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm completely addicted to DC as well, though I like to mix it up with Diet Dr Pepper on occasion. I literally go through 2 liters a day, and I know it would be more if I weren't practicing "moderation". I've tried quitting many times but it's so hard. The cravings are awful, plus I always end up putting on weight because I switch over to snacking to appease myself.

I think my problem in part has to do with the fact that I need to keep my hands and mouth occupied not to get stressed.

I probably should stay away from cigarettes.

My hand was forced. I started taking a medication for my migraines and one of the side effects is that it makes soda (or pop in my world LOL) taste like crap :sick: so I don't drink it anymore. It also makes beer taste bad which is good for watching my waistline, but kind of a bummer. I miss my beer. :o

I drink water all day long, I flavor it with a lemon flavor so it's not so boring and I drink a combo of decaffeinated and green tea at home...and water too, of course.

I drink a ton of soda (pop for some of you :cool: ) Very often I will have 5 cans of Coke Zero a day, it's almost like an addiction. I have several unhealthy habits, I drink alcohol (in moderation) I smoke about a pack a month, usually less, but soda seems to be the one that would be hardest to quit. I think I may be crazy but I've smoked lightly for years now and I could drop smoking no problem but I gotta have my diet coke. Recently I've heard so much from people about how horrible diet sodas are for you so I decided to cut back and go a few days without. I'm on day 3 and I seriously feel like I'm trying to kick an addiction, it's hard. Should I just go back to my soda drinking habits or is this a habit worth kicking?

Soda is hard to kick because it tastes better than water and has the caffeine we all crave. I heard on TV the other day that anyone who drinks more than 1 soda a day ( regular and diet ) increases their risk of heart disease.

I also like soda but I am now buying more of the flavored waters that are available as I still don't like "no taste" water.

I drink a lot of it---diet, that is. I know it's not good for the teeth but it's really my only vice. However, recently I read that they are rethinking Aspartame and are doing new studies on it and may even pull it off the market. I'm thinking of switching to diet soda made with Splenda but the kind I like doesn't come with Splenda in it--so I'd have to change to a cola which isn't my preference.

I don't drink caffeinated sodas as often as I used to though. I think that some of the hazards of soda that people have listed here are due to caffeine --such as fatigue (due to caffeine withdrawal) or due to sugar (in non-diet sodas) in which the fatigue is due to blood sugar crashes.

But in diet, caffeine free soda, the hazards may not be as severe.

Still though....the new studies on Aspartame are a bit alarming.

• 2 weeks later...
dropdeadlegs
I drink a lot of it---diet, that is. I know it's not good for the teeth but it's really my only vice. However, recently I read that they are rethinking Aspartame and are doing new studies on it and may even pull it off the market. I'm thinking of switching to diet soda made with Splenda but the kind I like doesn't come with Splenda in it--so I'd have to change to a cola which isn't my preference.

I don't drink caffeinated sodas as often as I used to though. I think that some of the hazards of soda that people have listed here are due to caffeine --such as fatigue (due to caffeine withdrawal) or due to sugar (in non-diet sodas) in which the fatigue is due to blood sugar crashes.

But in diet, caffeine free soda, the hazards may not be as severe.

Still though....the new studies on Aspartame are a bit alarming.

If you are accustomed to the taste of aspartame, I think a cola with Splenda will taste very sweet to you.

Earlier in this thread Coke Zero was recommended to me. I tried it and when it's really cold, it doesn't taste much different than a regular Coke to me except it doesn't seem as carbonated. When it gets warmer, I can taste a difference, but not nearly the difference I taste between Coke and Diet Coke. I only wish I could find it at fast food places and other places offering only fountain drinks.

If the aspartame studies don't go well, your favorite drink will soon be available with Splenda. :)

Citizen Erased

It has been a month and a half since I have had coke. And I feel so much better. I did substitute with Diet Coke but I drink barely any of it, I just have juice now. No more getting up at 3 in the morning cos I am craving it :p

Now the coffee thing has been harder to kick...

So I went to the dentist's today, and apparently all my teeth are becoming decalcified. I had to get five fillings. I was told that DC is as bad as regular sodas for the teeth and that if I drink it I should swallow quickly to decrease contact.

I don't think my dentist realizes how much of it I drink. I sip it constantly, it's ALWAYS in my mouth, that prickly bitter-sweet coldness - and I'd gladly trade all my teeth in for more.

So I went to the dentist's today, and apparently all my teeth are becoming decalcified. I had to get five fillings. I was told that DC is as bad as regular sodas for the teeth and that if I drink it I should swallow quickly to decrease contact.

I don't think my dentist realizes how much of it I drink. I sip it constantly, it's ALWAYS in my mouth, that prickly bitter-sweet coldness - and I'd gladly trade all my teeth in for more.

How can you tell if they're decalcifying?

• 2 weeks later...

Seconding the flavored water recommendation. My favorite is Mandarin Orange. Though be sure to check the ingredients. Some brands like Dasani flavored water, include sweetener.

As for sugar, I used to take 3 sugars with my coffee (2 cups in the am for a total of 6 sugars). As part of nutritional changes, I started tapering down to 2, then 1. What I do now is I make it myself at home and sprinkle some cinnamon in with the coffee grinds. It gives it a bit of sweet flavor without any sugar.

I heard that diet soda was bad for you..but I never made any research on the subject... I don't drink much.

Try to cut back... Drink green tea... check it out, it's good for you.... I must drink anywhere from 6 to 8 cups a day. I like to try different brands.

Tea is good for you... try it.

• Author

Tea is good for you... try it.

Oh I drink a lot of tea and water as well :)

You guys are scaring me about my diet soda :(

allina, if you're looking for an alternate to diet drinks, try sparkling water that's flavoured with natural juices or juice concentrates. Find the ones that have no additives where it's only fructose that's causing the minimal sweetness like Koala Springs.