Alcoholic or binge drinker

I can't find these online, but here goes:

Grønbæk M, Mørch LS. Overview of the effects of amount and type of alcohol on morbidity and mortality. I: Preedy V, Watson R, eds. Comprehensive handbook of alcohol related pathology. Elsevier Academic, 2005: 34, 425-39.

Hansen AS, Marckmann P, Dragsted LO, Nielsen I-L F, Nielsen SE, Grønbæk M. Effect of red wine and red grape extract on blood lipids, haemostatic factors and other risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Eur J Clin Nutr 2005; 59(3):449-55.

These are only a couple, all from the first study I mentioned. Abstracts and conclusions are online in Danish, but I guess that would not help you a lot.

To sum it up, red wine inhibits cardiac diseases, lowering mortality.

Hansen AS, Marckmann P, Dragsted LO, Nielsen I-L F, Nielsen SE, Grønbæk M. Effect of red wine and red grape extract on blood lipids, haemostatic factors and other risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Eur J Clin Nutr 2005; 59(3):449-55.

In case you wonder, the effect of red wine is better than that of grape extract.

The Dutch have made a similar study, corroborating the conclusions.

But by all means, go to AA, they are probably nice people, no harm done. Group therapy never hurt anybody, did it?

When I was 23, binge drinking was the norm amongst males of that age. I never drank thru the week but when the weekend came around lookout. 100's of people I knew did it. I'm not aware of even 1 of them now with an addiction to it. It was a phase. Now that I'm 38, I'm pretty sure just 1 night like "the good old days" would kill me.

outofdarkness
Take it easy. Nobody is an alcoholic at the age of 23, and since you apparently don't drink every day, I'd take your friends advice and not be so hard on yourself.

Yes, people can be alcoholics at 23...or even younger

outofdarkness
my 2 suggestions:

1) honestly answer these 20 questions http://www.step12.com/alcoholic-20-questions.html

2) goto one AA meeting

After doing both of those, you should know either way if you are alcoholic

yes! A/A or any twelve step meetings are lifesavers for many people. Even if you don't feel that you are addicted, the twelve step philosophy is a great way to live..

• 2 weeks later...

Alcoholism is not a disease that discriminates against age, like many other diseases. It is also not only defined by how much or how often you drink.

I had a friend that quit drinking simply because of how it made him act. He now will say "it made me act like an idiot" - just like you said. But he also drank almost everyday, and was getting depressed; he considered himself an alcoholic. All of us friends of his were like, "what?"..cuz we drank a lot too, at the time. And yes, he acted somewhat obligerent at times, but we just thought that was him!! Just like you say your friends are with you, we were thinking, "rehab? isn't that going a little far?"...well for him, no it wasn't. He hasn't drank in 7 years now, and he has become a much better man because of it. We all realized that he quit because he thought it was best for HIM. It's not about defining the word "alcoholic". It's about how drinking is making you feel about yourself. And if it is making you feel that it's disrupting your life more than you'd like it to, no matter how much you do it, how often, no matter if your friends your being hard on yourself....you obviously feel you need help, therefore you DO need help.

And yes many, many, people of your age binge drink; they may not do it often; but it has even been said that if you binge drink for every TIME you drink, it should be considered a drinking problem as well. It's just that most people (especially at your age) don't recognize it as something that could be a serious problem, cuz "everyone does it". It's more "acceptable" in the early 20's, it's the time to party and have fun.

My alcoholic friend hangs out with drinkers all the time. It's hard to imagine, I know, but I guess if you are comfortable with yourself and with telling others you don't drink, you can still manage to have fun. Or, try to befriend others you know who do not drink, and enjoy other types of things that do not involve drinking as an expected thing to do. (like dining out, or going to the park, etc.)...but it IS possible to still have a good social life and not drink. My friend also happens to be a very outgoing guy, etc, so he's never had a problem saying he doesn't drink or explaining that he quit because he once had a problem. And people pretty much always respond respectfully. He's capable of having fun like everyone else. (he is also my roommate by the way).

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
PositiveShine

Yeah, Art_Critic is right on the ball with his comment. Alcoholism can hit at any age and to any type of person. Most younger alcoholics ignore the issue or are unable to give themselves an honest self-evaluation, which creates the image of fewer young alcoholics.

I am 25 and it took a harsh and honest letter from my boyfriend to intervene and change my lifestyle. I drank at home, alone, to keep it a secret. It never affected my work, but I hated my job so much I just wanted to be numb every night. That isn't the reason that I became an alcoholic, it's just the catalyst which triggered a disease that I've inherited and had my whole life. Weekends were pure binges, plain and simple.

I know this is getting long, sorry :). But the first step in AA is to admit you are powerless over alcohol. It's not a matter of being able to limit your drinks when you go out if you are in the program, but to not even start in the first place. My sponsor challenged me the same challenge I will give to you: Go out, and limit yourself to 2 drinks for the entire night. If you can do that for a month (any time you drink), you might want to reconsider your status as an addicted drinker. I failed my FIRST NIGHT out, and it confirmed what I didn't want to believe - I'm an alcoholic. My sponsor failed too, but she's currently been sober 9 years.

Always keep your self-respect. You'd be amazed at how much more attention you get and fun you have if you're not one of the stumbling, slurring chicks at closing (been there!). Plus you can still sip on a couple of beverages to feel social. You are incredibly mature and brave to even be capable sonsidering the possibility, it's great. Feel free to toss me a line if you have any questions, as I am a newbie at processing all of this information too!

Hope this helps . . . sorry for the novel! :)

PositiveShine
Proof; this is not interesting enough for me to bother, so feel free to disbelieve me, but this is fairly well documented. Two glasses is in the lower end, some research says three or four.

And no, you don't get DT by cold turkeying two glasses of wine, you'd need to drink a couple of bottles daily.

I just wanted to add that I find Erik's insistence of proving alcohol is healthy/beneficial as a general statement to be distasteful and disregarding the original post. Every person reacts to alcohol differently, and to put it simply, some are allergic to alcohol and it's a disease to overcome and control.

To support a possible issue with alcohol when someone is concerned and seeking advice suggests that Erik might be ignoring is own drinking habits, or trying to justify his lifestyle. None of these things have helped the original poster in any way, and I hope his disinterest in this topic continues as I feel he has offended many people with alcoholism who are experienced and can offer real possibilities and support.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, but as a young alcoholic I was insulted by his statements.

Thanks for your time!