My Boyfriend Has No Career Ambition

silvermoon7

My current boyfriend is a nice guy, but he is also unambitious. I am enrolled in graduate school, and I am working very hard to create a successful future for myself. My boyfriend only has his GED at 22-years-old, and he has spent the past four years working at McDonalds. He has no intention of ever going to college. He is obsessed with martial arts, and endeavors to open his own martial arts school someday instead (he doesn't have the money, so I'm not sure how he intends to do this).

He has been bringing up the subject of marriage recently, but when I imagine us together in five years, I can picture myself being the only breadwinner. He wants me to be by his side to help him open his martial arts school, but all I can imagine is myself working hard to provide money for him to practice karate all day. He seems...immature. Is it unreasonable for me to want to break up with him, based on the fact that he will probably never be able to provide any type of financial support?

I was in a similar situation last year. my ex is now in the British Army but he has no plans beyond that and he didn't have any before he joined either. he is very bright and I tried to talk him into going to uni but he has no ambitions beyond landscaping work and working for the post office - or similar manual jobs - after he comes out of the army.

unfortunately that just enforced the view in my mind that we had no future together. I don't mind earning more than my partner (I am an Analyst) but I would like him to have long term potential, I don't want to work 15-hour days to be able to buy a house, ideally it should be a joint financial venture

No, it's not unreasonable for you to break up with him. If you would prefer to be with someone with similar goals as yourself, there's no need to waste your time with this guy. There's also nothing wrong with how he's living his life; it's just proven to be incompatible with your goals.

You have the right to find someone else.

Unlike most guys, I dont want a woman with lower education and much less money myself.

Edited by musemaj11

Have you told him any of this? have you even mentioned to him that you cant picture marrying him unless he has some kind of plan in mind? Give him a chance to change his mind. he might not, but at least give him a chance. Dont just blind side him.

Silvermoon,

It may be that you are realizing that you are not in love with him. That's OK. It takes time to know someone well enough to figure out if they would make a good life partner or not. Sometimes the answer is "no." If you feel that way, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

To answer your specific question, if financial support is important to you, then no, it is not unreasonable to find his lack of ambition to be unacceptable.

I don't need to tell you, but as a reminder let me say that we all have things that we can "put up with" and things we cannot. You know where your values are. Be true to those values and you will be happy.

But don't feel guilty because you've spent time with someone only to realize it is not working out. If that is the case, breaking up is in BOTH of your best interests.

Good luck.

Is it unreasonable for me to want to break up with him, based on the fact that he will probably never be able to provide any type of financial support?

No, I don't think it's unreasonable. I've always been the bread winner in my current relationship so it's not that I would ever expect a man to provide for me. But I expect a partner to contribute, somehow, to the common good and doing what he can towards that. If your partner doesn't think strategically and long term in terms of how the two of you can secure yourselves financially, that's a red flag for me.

Different people have different levels of ambition, and it's not unreasonable to want someone who shares your long-term goals.

My ex-bf was also unambitious; he was settled in his little IT support job, and was happy as long as he earned enough to pay the rent and subscribe to online games. I had bigger plans: I wanted to have enough money to buy a nice house, have new cars and holidays abroad, have children, etc. I could foresee that if I wanted those things I'd have to pay for them myself with no contribution from him, so I'd basically be carrying him, and I wasn't happy with that. So I broke up with him and dated someone who was more ambitious and had a proper career.

My ex is now much happier with his new gf, who is equally unambitious and doesn't nag him like I did, while I'm much happier with a man who is able to contribute equally to our future.

He is obsessed with martial arts, and endeavors to open his own martial arts school someday instead (he doesn't have the money, so I'm not sure how he intends to do this)?

Sometimes the greatest passions can bring the greatest rewards. It is possible that he will open his own martial arts school someday. Banks loan money for viable business ventures and, if he knows his stuff and has the intelligence to run a business, there's no reason why it's shouldn't be viable.

Obviously, you know him and only you know if he's ever likely to make this happen, but that does sound like an ambition to me.

I'm guessing you have other reasons for wanting to break up with him, because you've probably always known about his lack of earning potential or what you see as 'ambition'. If you love him, this wouldn't matter, but clearly it does. So he's not the man for you.

Sometimes the greatest passions can bring the greatest rewards. It is possible that he will open his own martial arts school someday. Banks loan money for viable business ventures and, if he knows his stuff and has the intelligence to run a business, there's no reason why it's shouldn't be viable.

Obviously, you know him and only you know if he's ever likely to make this happen, but that does sound like an ambition to me.

I'm guessing you have other reasons for wanting to break up with him, because you've probably always known about his lack of earning potential or what you see as 'ambition'. If you love him, this wouldn't matter, but clearly it does. So he's not the man for you.

I was thinking the same thing, but I couldn't have written it as well.

Personally I can settle with someone with less money.

But honestly I can't settle with a high school graduate. U can't have an intelligent conversation with someone who has much lower education. The communication aspect is gonna suffer.

everyone should have ambition however remember the world is in a recession and sometimes it is hard to hit those high salaries now. I hear stories about people who kill themselves because their ideal life of fast cars,nice big house and a few kids has been ruined because of being laid off etc. It all depends what you want out of life. For me living the high life isn't important though I would like to be comfortable and afford things.

Different people have different levels of ambition, and it's not unreasonable to want someone who shares your long-term goals.

My ex-bf was also unambitious; he was settled in his little IT support job, and was happy as long as he earned enough to pay the rent and subscribe to online games. I had bigger plans: I wanted to have enough money to buy a nice house, have new cars and holidays abroad, have children, etc. I could foresee that if I wanted those things I'd have to pay for them myself with no contribution from him, so I'd basically be carrying him, and I wasn't happy with that. So I broke up with him and dated someone who was more ambitious and had a proper career.

My ex is now much happier with his new gf, who is equally unambitious and doesn't nag him like I did, while I'm much happier with a man who is able to contribute equally to our future.

Materialism, the new love. I'm glad you're both happy now though.

Materialism, the new love. I'm glad you're both happy now though.

Not a bad thing to want money,material things and security however it is not what EVERY girl wants. I am just saying it is much harder now to attain those things with the financial crisis. But then this is coming from a very working class person.

I have no ambition either. What's wrong with that. All i want is to live and be happy. Why do i need to have great houses and real estate etc?

I'm happy i have a simple job, and that's that.

There's only one question: Do you love him?

The Beatles weren't right. Don Henley was. Sometimes love just ain't enough.

Not a bad thing to want money,material things and security however it is not what EVERY girl wants. I am just saying it is much harder now to attain those things with the financial crisis. But then this is coming from a very working class person.

Well I was pointing to the fact that she left him over her material desires and her feeling that he would be leeching off of her once she obtained the stuff she wanted.

I'm not saying that wanting stuff is a bad thing, we all have stuff, want stuff and put it in our boxes that we call houses. But if you're going to make that the prime reason you leave someone, then you never were with that person for that person in the first place.

Edited by Nexus One
Is it unreasonable for me to want to break up with him, based on the fact that he will probably never be able to provide any type of financial support?

IMO, no, it is not unreasonable. Intimate relationships should be positive forces in your life. If your overall understanding/perception of him is negative, relieve him of your presence. It will serve you both well. Best wishes for much success in post-graduate school. :)

For the men of modest ambition, I've found one clear way to ensure long-term success is not to become distracted by women. Continue on your path and rewards will come. Whatever you do, if you do get married, get a pre-nup so your spouse can't take the fruits of your modest ambition. That's the life lesson I've learned. Now I'm back to my modest, high school educated, unemployed ambition. Feels good :)

IMO, no, it is not unreasonable. Intimate relationships should be positive forces in your life. If your overall understanding/perception of him is negative, relieve him of your presence. It will serve you both well. Best wishes for much success in post-graduate school. :)

I'm curious why you chose the phrase "relieve him of your presence." :confused: Snarky McSnarkerton!

How about: If your overall understanding/perception of him is negative and you have incompatible lifelong goals and lifestyles, you're inherently incompatible and would serve you both to end the relationship now.

How about: If your overall understanding/perception of him is negative and you have incompatible lifelong goals and lifestyles, you're inherently incompatible and would serve you both to end the relationship now.

But incompatibility of lifelong goals and lifestyles can already be determined on a first date. To use that as an argument after having been in a relationship with someone for years is a red herring.

But incompatibility of lifelong goals and lifestyles can already be determined on a first date. To use that as an argument after having been in a relationship with someone for years is a red herring.

I disagree. I don't interrogate a guy about his life goals on a first date. :cool:

Have they been in a relationship for years? I don't see that in the OP. But if so, given that he's only 22, do we expect people to have lifelong goals when they're not even legal and likely still teenagers (when they would have had their first date)?

I'm curious why you chose the phrase "relieve him of your presence." :confused: Snarky McSnarkerton!

She made the choice, essentially to judge him without engaging him. I saw no evidence of cogent and topical communication. I merely applied the appropriate description. It accurately describes the dynamic, based on the OP, IMO. Change the genders and I'd apply the same description, and did for myself on another thread. I relieved the woman of my presence so we could both move on to more appropriate partners.

OP, tell me, have you clearly and cogently discussed this fundamental difference in perspective with your BF, telling him how you *feel* and your perception of his lack of ambition? If so, how did that go?

ANother OP that didnt get answers that agree with her POV and has abandoned her own thread. None of the threads I start ever go to two pages. Im so jealous.