LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Marriage & Life Partnerships

Are previous sex partners with my wife the father of my children?

Marriage & Life Partnerships Debunking the old-ball-and-chain stereotype one couple at a time.

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2017, 10:32 AM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by central View Post
It's not sperm, it's enzymes in the semen. And in the flies studied (not known if this has any effect in humans or even mammals), it does alter the immature eggs in some way that can affect the morphology (size, mainly) of the future offspring, independent of the mate's DNA.
Humans aren't flies and there is no reason to believe that this can happen other than this one article

If someone wants to believe this type of idea and apply it to their already living offspring then they are making a huge error and causing pain where it doesn't belong.
Quote:
To answer the question that I’m sure is on every one of your minds, no the researchers are not yet sure whether this phenomenon exists in any other species, but testimony of many experienced breeders suggests it may be. As for humans, I don’t even want to begin opening that can of worms, but Crean did tell Medical Daily in an email that she's not ruling out this possibility.
There is no evidence of such effects in humans, but there has not been any research on this possibility in humans. There is a potential for such effects in mammals,” explained Crean.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/dna-sper...fspring-305934

From 2014 BTW.. so you would think in 3 years something would have come of this theory in that time by now
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 11:22 AM   #32
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog View Post
With some of the posts raising questions regarding my testing my children's DNA; I could not remember how we did it. When I checked with my wife, I asked her what DNA testing did we do? She told me it was through ancestry.com where you can discover your family history. She said we did it a few years back and it showed that we and our children shared similar DNA.
That’s not a DNA test to determine paternity.

The tests given by Ancestry.com are used to suggest what part of the world our ancestors may have come from. It doesn’t show whether you are or are not the father of your children. That’s not the purpose of an Ancestry.com test.

You need to find a place that tests for paternity. Because I have a feeling you’re being misled.
MidKnightDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 11:32 AM   #33
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidKnightDreams View Post
Because I have a feeling you’re being misled.
That is always a possibility, where I live you can get paternity tests at your local Walgreen's, I think you swab the cheek and send it in.. however if the Mother doesn't do the swab of her cheek and the Dad does his instead the test isn't as accurate but accurate enough to determine paternity...

Not that I have ever used them.. so I'm not speaking from experience
Art_Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 11:41 AM   #34
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by central View Post
The disturbing thing is that this could be used as yet another excuse for men to try to control female sexuality.
I have a feeling that timing is very important in this study. If this applies in mammals, it would likely only apply in group sex situations.

In regards to controlling female sexuality... human civilization and human evolution were built around this. If men didn't seek to control female sexuality our current level of intelligence would never have developed.
Cobra_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 1:19 PM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_X View Post
I have a feeling that timing is very important in this study. If this applies in mammals, it would likely only apply in group sex situations.
This is only one study and applies only to this fly.

I do not see any follow up studies and no attempt to replicate findings either. (Many studies get discredited and effectively binned when it is found no-one else can replicate the findings of the original researchers)
Nothing can thus be assumed concerning this fly or any other species of fly either.
No-one can therefore suggest that this may occur in mammals or humans.

Further research needs done.
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 1:27 PM   #36
Established Member

Quote:
That’s not a DNA test to determine paternity.

The tests given by Ancestry.com are used to suggest what part of the world our ancestors may have come from. It doesn’t show whether you are or are not the father of your children. That’s not the purpose of an Ancestry.com test.

You need to find a place that tests for paternity. Because I have a feeling you’re being misled.
^^^This may be far more illuminating, but Rog is 72, he met his wife in her early twenties, his sons will be pretty old, no doubt with grand children too, is it really necessary to dig all this up, this late in the game?
What is he going to do, disown everyone?
Not the brightest thing to do at 72, I guess.
Old 31st December 2017, 3:00 PM   #37
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
^^^This may be far more illuminating, but Rog is 72, he met his wife in her early twenties, his sons will be pretty old, no doubt with grand children too, is it really necessary to dig all this up, this late in the game?
What is he going to do, disown everyone?
Not the brightest thing to do at 72, I guess.
Heís on a website talking to strangers about how his kids donít look like him. Throwing out odd theories of why that may be. Itís obvious heís been thinking about it and searching for answers for a while.

Seventy two year old men deserve to know the truth.

This could be interesting family genetics or something else happened. Either way, he deserves peace of mind. He deserves to know the truth.
Old 31st December 2017, 3:41 PM   #38
Established Member

Quote:
Heís on a website talking to strangers about how his kids donít look like him. Throwing out odd theories of why that may be. Itís obvious heís been thinking about it and searching for answers for a while.

Seventy two year old men deserve to know the truth.

This could be interesting family genetics or something else happened. Either way, he deserves peace of mind. He deserves to know the truth.
I am not saying he doesn't deserve the truth only he has to consider carefully what he is actually going to do with it.
This will not only affect him, this may blow up his entire family.

He has been harbouring anger and resentment towards his wife since February 1970...maybe this should have all been sorted out a long time ago, like about 50 years ago...
http://www.loveshack.org/forums/roma...-past-cheating
Old 31st December 2017, 4:07 PM   #39
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
I am not saying he doesn't deserve the truth only he has to consider carefully what he is actually going to do with it.
This will not only affect him, this may blow up his entire family.

He has been harbouring anger and resentment towards his wife since February 1970...maybe this should have all been sorted out a long time ago, like about 50 years ago...
http://www.loveshack.org/forums/roma...-past-cheating
Touchť.

Iíve always thought it too much trouble to read the back stories. Youíve made your point and youíre right. Especially considering my response in that thread. 😄

He knows whatís most likely true. The question is how to deal with it after all of these years. I donít think lying to ourselves by trying to shoehorn our situation into a random theory is the answer. In my opinion, facing the truth is always the way to go. After that, forgiveness ... as I said in the other thread.

Hope he can find peace of mind.
Old 31st December 2017, 9:31 PM   #40

Time for a paternity test. A real test. None of that
Ancestry.com test for that does not do paternity.
road is offline   Reply With Quote