LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating > Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy

I threw away my future


Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy Being unfaithful to your significant other or suspect them of the same? Can't stand the way they flirt? Jealous? Discuss your experiences here.

Like Tree12Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2013, 5:31 PM   #1
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
I threw away my future

Hi, this is another cheater that had a future (not just a relationship) and threw it all away. I know there is no chance of getting back with him but was wondering if I start dating again, do I have to reveal this?

Also, can we ever at least be friends later on?
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 5:53 PM   #2
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
Hi, this is another cheater that had a future (not just a relationship) and threw it all away. I know there is no chance of getting back with him but was wondering if I start dating again, do I have to reveal this?

Also, can we ever at least be friends later on?
Thats up to him, not us.
tlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 6:17 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlegend View Post
Thats up to him, not us.
We spoke some time ago, in which I was explaining to him what happened to me at that moment and everything. He did let me talk and didn't vent out on me. Told him he can call if he wants to.

I know he hasn't block my number yet but will leave it at that for now.
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 6:59 AM   #4
Established Member
 
PegNosePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 9,229
About revealing it or not: you should not lie if questioned about it but there is no need to go throwing it in the face of any new suitors.
__________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
-- Douglas Adams
PegNosePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 9:30 AM   #5
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegNosePete View Post
About revealing it or not: you should not lie if questioned about it but there is no need to go throwing it in the face of any new suitors.
I hope none asks me about it esp the ''So how did he found out'' question.
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 9:44 AM   #6
Established Member
 
soccerrprp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Beautiful, but too rainy NW, USA
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
Hi, this is another cheater that had a future (not just a relationship) and threw it all away. I know there is no chance of getting back with him but was wondering if I start dating again, do I have to reveal this?

Also, can we ever at least be friends later on?
It would be foolish for someone to be friends with someone who cheated on him/her. But, if his self-esteem is at all compromised, he may decide being friends with you is possible.

Why in the world would you voluntarily tell someone that you are a cheater? Is that a serious question? But, if someone asks about your past relationship and how it went, well only your conscience will dictate how much and how accurately you will explain.
soccerrprp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrprp View Post
It would be foolish for someone to be friends with someone who cheated on him/her. But, if his self-esteem is at all compromised, he may decide being friends with you is possible.
It would be great talking to him again, if not as couples then as a friend. I want him to know I'll forever be sorry for what I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrprp View Post
Why in the world would you voluntarily tell someone that you are a cheater? Is that a serious question? But, if someone asks about your past relationship and how it went, well only your conscience will dictate how much and how accurately you will explain.
I will not and don't want to but if I'm asked directly I ever cheated, I can't lie.

I was thinking of sending this apology letter to his parents. I haven't spoken to them since the day he found out and obviously must have told them. I saw no point in visiting them. But I'm not sure if I should send the letter or not? I also want them to know how terrible I'm still feeling for hurting their child.
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Established Member
 
CarrieT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Napa - wine country
Posts: 11,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
I was thinking of sending this apology letter to his parents. I haven't spoken to them since the day he found out and obviously must have told them. I saw no point in visiting them. But I'm not sure if I should send the letter or not? I also want them to know how terrible I'm still feeling for hurting their child.
Don't go there. It will come across as self-aggrandizing.
CarrieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieT View Post
Don't go there. It will come across as self-aggrandizing.
I guess I won't. I know they're either not going to reply back and reply back with every nasty word in the book, which I deserve.

That's just me wanting them to know how I really do wish their son the best and would be happy to hear if he finds happiness again, even if it's not with me.
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 10:44 AM   #10
Established Member
 
aliveagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Just East of the Rockies
Posts: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredStarrling View Post
I hope none asks me about it esp the ''So how did he found out'' question.
If I am in a relationship that has the potential of becoming serious I always ask. The worst thing you could do if asked is lie. Have you put yourself into counseling? You need to find out why you allowed yourself the approval to cheat, why you felt entitled? Was it a one time thing, did it happen for a period of time, was it with a friend of his, did he walk in on you? If he walked in on you in the middle of the act the chances of him forgiving you are zero to none, you never get those images out of your mind. Get help so this never happens again.
aliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveagain View Post
If I am in a relationship that has the potential of becoming serious I always ask. The worst thing you could do if asked is lie.
I do want to make things right in my next relationship. Will keep that in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveagain View Post
Have you put yourself into counseling?
I will be. Well was going to start a couple days ago but was busy and missed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveagain View Post
You need to find out why you allowed yourself the approval to cheat, why you felt entitled?
I was in such a turmoil state of mind. We had certain arguments lately, his workplace kept demanding double shift, past things in my early years, and one of my family members was undergoing an illness. Nevertheless I'm aware none of this excuses what I did. I take full responsibility for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveagain View Post
Was it a one time thing, did it happen for a period of time, was it with a friend of his, did he walk in on you?
I won't get too much into it but it was twice on a short time frame and no it's wasn't a friend of his. It was someone from my one of my friend's workplace.

Last edited by AlteredStarrling; 11th October 2013 at 11:46 AM..
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,334
Well, you played with fire and you got burned. A lot of people can forgive certain things in a relationship, but each and everyone of us have our "dealbreakers". You found his and he going to heal from this betrayal and move on with his life.

You're going to have to live with the fact that he's not going to be your biggest fan. Your not going to be a person that he likes or even think that you are a good person for a while. Will and can he forgive you in the future? Probably. He may be able to forgive you as a person. But, as a girlfriend?....I think you crossed a line with him.

Look, I'm not trying to be mean about this, I just want you to understand the facts. You hurt him badly, and that kind of pain just doesn't shut off like a light switch. And the way that you're avoiding the how, who, what and where with us kind of gives me the impression that he found out in a pretty bad way. Such as walking in on you...

So, the best thing you can do for him is leave him alone. You had your time with him and now it's over.

Learn from this. If you ever enter into a new relationship and if you TRUELY love that other person, remember what happened. Is this other guy worth losing the person you love over? Is 30 minutes to an hour of being selfish worth destroying the person you love?

Good on you for seeking individual counseling. Go and understand what made you do the things that you did. Until you get a handle on yourself, I don't think it would be wise to think about dating other people at the moment. You need to get yourself fixed first before you're good for anyone else.
Chi townD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocet View Post
Unless you are just talking about friends in the sense that you don't hate each other as opposed to friends that hang out on a regular basis or text back and forth constantly.
Yes, that's what I meant. I hope we can get to that point one day. If either of us starts dating someone else, off course I won't be constantly sending him texts. That wouldn't be fair.

If I were to call him, he would probably answer once but I don't want to make him cry again or delay his recovery process. On our last talk, I could hear his voice starting to tremble and he did said how he would have liked to work it out but can't.
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocet View Post
But would you blame someone to whom you are committed if they are not happy about you contacting an X at all?
No, I wouldn't and if that's what they then I would go NC. I wouldn't do anything they're not happy with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocet View Post
If you fell head over heels in love with someone and they felt the need to contact an x-girlfriend once in a while, would you be ok with that?
It would depend on what type of contact they have. If it's about getting back together then no I wouldn't be happy. If it's just on a friendly level then it's not a problem.
AlteredStarrling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 1:29 PM   #15
Established Member
 
samsungxoxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi townD View Post
And the way that you're avoiding the how, who, what and where with us kind of gives me the impression that he found out in a pretty bad way. Such as walking in on you...
I'm with you on this one. If she's avoiding sharing the whole version on an online forum, I can't imagine the embarrassment she placed on her ex bf (or more??). He probably feels a lot worst than she's feeling on this forum.

One thing I caught is the OP said it was more than a relationship they had, she put the word ''future'' in this thread, she mentioned about apologizing to his parents and posted this here on:
http://www.loveshack.org/forums/tran...rriageable-men

Does this mean the OP was engaged to that man?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi townD View Post
Good on you for seeking individual counseling. Go and understand what made you do the things that you did. Until you get a handle on yourself, I don't think it would be wise to think about dating other people at the moment. You need to get yourself fixed first before you're good for anyone else.
OP follow this advice. Don't get involve in another relationship unless you get to the bottom of this and fix yourself completely.
__________________
Don't live your life with regrets but live your life to the fullest......
samsungxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I can't get over how he threw me away like that! Dollie Dating 24 3rd March 2009 6:08 PM
And I threw it all away Jubilee Kate Coping 2 3rd January 2007 2:13 AM
I threw it all away confusedforsolong Breaks and Breaking Up 1 9th October 2006 7:32 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 9:38 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.