LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating

Never allow feelings to develop BEFORE seeing what they are like in bed?

Dating Dating, courting, or going steady? Things not working out the way you had hoped? Stand up on your soap box and let us know what's going on!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2015, 2:41 PM   #1

Never allow feelings to develop BEFORE seeing what they are like in bed?

I came across this here on LS. But the majority of my friends offline feel this exact way about sex and relationships too.

Would you say this is the norm now?

I am asking because I have to admit that I'm so not into doing things this way that I'm considering simply stopping relationships and dating all together. I understand that I may be seriously old fashioned. But I simply have no understanding really of the above statement and can't relate to it at all. Therefore if this is what most well-adjusted people do in the dating world, and what they expect and are comfortable with, there is no point in me continuing to date at all.
Maharishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 2:44 PM   #2
Established Member

Different strokes.

i needed some kind of feeling before sexual activity. If the sex was bad that could kill burgeoning feelings but it was tougher if I liked the person & the sex was mediocre.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 2:58 PM   #3

I agree with the different strokes comment above.

I was never interested in sex with someone unless there was some attraction and compatibility . Frankly I think a persons attitude towards their partner and sex is more telling than actual "performance" in bed your first time together.

I've never been in situation where I've liked someone a lot and was attracted to them and the sex was bad. Though I will admit... It was the bedroom that sealed the deal for my DH. He had me hook line and sinker afterwards. That was sprinkles and.cherry on top of everything else I liked about him.
beanie66f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 3:10 PM   #4
Established Member

In the dating world... and in life... you have to learn to stand strong and stick to what you believe in, or else you will be unhappy.

If you need a connection before sex, never settle for anything less. It will be self-defeating.
blackcat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 3:10 PM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
I came across this here on LS. But the majority of my friends offline feel this exact way about sex and relationships too.

Would you say this is the norm now?

I am asking because I have to admit that I'm so not into doing things this way that I'm considering simply stopping relationships and dating all together. I understand that I may be seriously old fashioned. But I simply have no understanding really of the above statement and can't relate to it at all. Therefore if this is what most well-adjusted people do in the dating world, and what they expect and are comfortable with, there is no point in me continuing to date at all.
It's a canned excuse to bang someone in a "friends with benefits" fashion. No obligation, etc. They just are lengthening the a round-about definition of FWB in a new package.

A person who thinks this way is justifying their selfish needs.

Quote:
Frankly I think a persons attitude towards their partner and sex is more telling
Right, the title of this post is as telling.

I am kind of curious as to how a person, who follows such a philosophy, how many chances they will give before dumping the guy/gal for performance?

Last edited by LookAtThisPOst; 16th September 2015 at 3:13 PM..
LookAtThisPOst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 7:28 PM   #6
Established Member

90% of the time first sex (and second third and fourth) is lacklustre. The kinds of people who rabbit on about the first time with their partner being amazing are usually the same kinds who'll have you believe a lot of their life is amazing, from the desperate need for validation that cripples them from ever achieving authenticity as an individual. One mark of maturity, in the realm of relationships at least, is an acceptance that sex is not to be emphasised too early and should be given time as a work in progress. Conversely, a sign of immaturity is demanding an instantly fulfilling bedroom adventure.

I laugh each and every time someone talks (or posts here) about a new or newish male partner being poor in bed. They never think through the fact that it literally takes two. If he's a two pump chump it's your job to slow it down. If he's uninspired it's your job to spice it up. If he truly can't up his game despite your best efforts, then you can complain. Many women are limp fish in bed, thinking they can judge men while they lay back, spread their legs and take a length, like a ****ing side of beef with a hole in it. Many men still don't know the meaning of foreplay. These people deserve the unfulfilling sex life they receive.
shet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 7:48 PM   #7
Established Member

I am one of *gasp* Those People who will not get serious with another 'til I've had - and enjoyed - sex with them. *Sorry*, but sex IS just that important to me as part of a fulfilling relationship.

However, I am not so presumptuous as to dictate this is The Way It Should Be Done and am gracious and generous enough to offer that each of us should do that which feels best for each of us.

mrldii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 8:13 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrldii View Post
I am one of *gasp* Those People who will not get serious with another 'til I've had - and enjoyed - sex with them. *Sorry*, but sex IS just that important to me as part of a fulfilling relationship.

However, I am not so presumptuous as to dictate this is The Way It Should Be Done and am gracious and generous enough to offer that each of us should do that which feels best for each of us.

I'm with you on that mrldii... sex is too important to me.... so no I would not get serious with my partner either....until we've enjoyed sex.... however that is NOT to say I would not still have feelings for him.

Choosing to become serious is something I have control of.... feelings are NOT something I have control of. God knows I wish I did sometimes! But unfortunately I don't. The only thing I have control of is what I choose to do with those feelings.

Plus for me.... I actually cannot enjoy sex unless I have feelings (chemistry/attraction)....but if the sex absolutely sucked and we didn't click sexually...then I would have to walk away and choose to NOT become serious.

The feelings might still be there for awhile though....but again if we did not click sexually, then I would have to move on.

Sex is too damn important to settle for less than .....WOW with my partner!

JMO.
katiegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 10:45 PM   #9
Established Member

Excellent topic.

I am the kind of guy who needs some feelings involved in order to get physical. If the sex is great, that will really seal the deal for me. If it's at least not awful, I will continue seeing the person. I recognize that sex gets better over time, and so come from that mindset. Sex without feelings is not very good to me. If I want to get off without feelings, I can masturbate.

Every once in a while, I will encounter someone who just has a lot of hangups around sex and it becomes obvious that no amount of 'working on it' is going to lead to better sex. It's a recipe for relationship failure if things progress in that case. A few years ago, there was a woman I was really, really into. The first time we had sex though, she didn't move at all and was totally silent. I actually worried she had passed out or was dead! She also thought ejaculations were "icky" and looked grossed out every time I pulled out after (and we were using condoms!). Talk about a mood killer. She also didn't like to have sex very often, but she "loved me". Because I wanted us to work, I kept seeing her. We wound up splitting after only four months because of her hangups around sex. That experience taught me just how important good, connected, ALIVE sex is (among the many other compatibility factors) for a relationship to last.

Last edited by TunaInTheBrine; 16th September 2015 at 10:48 PM..
TunaInTheBrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 11:09 PM   #10
Established Member

Look at it in reverse. I gave my current girl the banging of a lifetime and now she's falling in love like a little schoolgirl. Don't you understand that sex (and orgasms) develop love and intimacy?
Old 16th September 2015, 11:09 PM   #11
Established Member

I can't imagine becoming serious with someone before establishing sexual compatibility. Sex isn't everything but it's very important to me.
Jj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 1:27 AM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Don't you understand that sex (and orgasms) develop love and intimacy?
Oxytocin and all related feel-good sex hormones are indeed bonding.

But if you don't date long enough to really get to know a person and blindly jump into physically bonding yourself to someone crazy, well. Don't say I didn't warn you...
blackcat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 1:32 AM   #13
Established Member

i find that now that im older. Trust is more important to me. I can still work with mediocre sex .. unfortunately i just cannot work with minie penis. So i want to know the package and Trust the person before choosing to get serious.
Old 17th September 2015, 1:32 AM   #14

I definitely develop feelings before having sex, and I like it that way, and prefer a man who does the same. However, if the sex is bad and has not improved after a few times trying, I will lose my feelings for them. I just need the sex part to be there as well. I am not interested in a purely sexual relationship in the least though, no matter how mind-blowing the sex is.
Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 3:16 AM   #15
Established Member

I think there was a similar thread last week but can't see it now.

I'm one of those people that needs the sex to happen relatively early so that I can decide if this is a potential relationship. And if the sex isn't great, well...it's probably not going to go much further.

People seem to misunderstand that this means expecting some kind of "performance" or skills in bed from the other person.
It's not that at all - I need to feel that there is chemistry between us - it's got very little to do with technique, experience, performance, etc.

I've had amazing sex with someone that has only had a couple of partners because we just clicked, and literally couldn't stop doing it from day one.

I've had disappointing sex with experienced women that just don't really do it for me in bed.
joseb is offline   Reply With Quote