HS Senior Situation (Very LONG) Need Insight From All

almosthere

From a week ago (when written)

I really want some serious replies preferably from people who have dealt with a situation similar to this.

There is this girl, Kayla, we are seniors and have been going to school together for 4 years, but never really had classes/never really talked. Our lockers are next to each other but I never noticed how beautiful she was, and is also a "cool" girl. She is pretty quite, more of the sexy/gorgeous type than the "hot" type if you know what I mean.

This year we have 3/8 classes together. Her locker is next to mine and she has started a few conversations. I often catch her glancing at me, while I was doing the same. Problem is there is this kid that she was just friends with forever but now they are dating. How can I tell if she likes me and what can I do? If they waited 4 years to date and/or were on and off will her current relationship likely last?

I haven't really seriously dated in high school, but not many of my friends (jocks not nerds-no offense) haven't either because basically my class is pretty ugly. I get nervous and kinda defensive when she ever talked to me. Last year she said small things to me, nice stuff, in a class a few times but we never really talked. She does not talk to other guys without them starting the conversation, she is pretty shy I guess until you know her a lot better. A few kids try to hit on her and what not (more flirting I guess) but she seems like she doesn't care. We are actually very much alike in our demeanor when it comes to the opposite sex. How do I know if she likes me though? Does her glancing over at me and us making eye contact mean anything if it happens pretty often? (Like a few times a day, yea I keep track). She laughs at everything I say really, agrees with me on other things, etc. This kid she is dating though they get along from what I've seen but her boyfriend basically followed her everywhere and just now are they dating. Again, it may have been off and on, not sure. How can I start talking to her? Should I wait till she breaks up with him?

These past few weeks I have been thinking about her 24/7 but she doen't have the slightest clue, for all I know she may not even like me like that! But if she starts talking to me, it's gotta count for something. For example she was asking me about what I want to do (Pro Poker Player, laugh if you like) after we discussed careers in english class (everyone.) It went like this...

Here locker is HERE Mine is HERE (to her right)

She took a look over like she was going to say something I wasnt looking at her but knew she was gonna say something, like the pansy I am I looked away, but when I looked back she said "So you wanna be a poker player?" I said "Yea, not want though, I am gonna be one." She kinda chuckled and I said "What's wrong with that" (not in a mean way) and she said "Nothing, I just think it's a bit of a stretch." We smiled and I walked away. DOES SOMETHING LIKE THAT MEAN SOMETHING??

I DO get along well and can have a conversation with her, but she starts them, I am not good at starting conversations with any girl that I like in any way more than a friend, I am just uncomfortable in those situations. Like going to Hooters makes me nervous, where I "should" like it. It's not a person specific case where some people I like I can talk to and others I can't. I also haven't dated really so I don't know what to/not to do. I AM NOT trying to steal her, and don't plan on doing anything till they break up (I am fairly sure they have broken up and dated a bunch of times, mainly because he nags her from what I can tell, he is way overprotective and whatnot.)

I will not just let this slip away, I will at some point at the very least ask her out (then I would pretty much have to drop it at least for awhile.) Not now that she has a boyfriend, but when she is single. It will be rough to deal with, but I would be MUCH happier if I had done it and she said no than me worry about it. I don't think she would expect this (asking her out) from me, whether she likes me or not. I haven't dated in high school because I haven't found someone at all like her/wanted to. The really weird thing is that after 3 and a half years I just recently developed a huge "crush" on her, probably because I never had classes and got to know her at all before this year. It's not looks ONLY, but she is extremely gorgeous. She isn't nasty, cocky, rude at all-she is funny and likes to talk to certain people (I have found that she likes to start conversations with me obviously), but is reserved most times, she is the girl who has NEVER had a detention. A few kids really like her and make it obvious to her, but she doesn't lead them on at all, and I can tell she has no/little interest in them. I mean she gives me these looks when I laugh and she is laughing, or when we do talk, I can't describe it really, its too hard to put into words.

Whether it seems like it or not, unless I have known you awhile I am uncomfortable, kind of socially awkward-and I think that is what has held me back from any girl previously (why can't they ask US out? lol). But again, she is so different, I could literally live with her and have nothing to do for the rest of my life and have the greatest feeling and love within me. I only would ever want to get involved with someone if I could see me living my LIFE with them.

For a few weeks or so, since I basically fell in love with her, I have been trying to find ONE girl anywhere that I find as physically attractive as her and has a personality like her. As a matter of fact, no girl matches up to Kayla right now, no one in the world. Even looks wise, no one. I am on here because I need to talk to someone about it. I mentioned it to a few guys at school and the one kid said "she is sexy, id bang her...go for it dude, just ask her out" now I don't think like that and said "She has a boyfriend" and he said "Who cares?" but I don't know how sincere he was with that. The other kid I told said "then just go for it man, just ask her out". Wouldn't you THINK that one of these two (both jocks and not really the always kind to kids type) say that I didn't have a chance or laugh or something? I mean freshman year I was told that about one girl once, but I was chubby, short and immature where as now I am 6' 3", slender/skinny, and much more mature (so i've been told by everyone from teachers to kids).

Now, having read that, what's the opinion? I have had no sign that she doesn't like me and have not been told by others that I didn't have a chance.

THIS WAS TWO DAYS AGO

So today was a breakthrough day in that now I am completely lost. Basically a few girls (the few good looking ones in my class) figured out who they think I like, and though I did not tell them, their last guess was right and they pretty much know it. One girl said that she "Doesnt think she'll break up with him soon."

First question: If she said that and they have been dating for only 3 weeks, is that just a common HS opinion? That any relationship seems as though it will never end?

Then after naming a few other girls and me saying like "Definitely not" they said that it was mean but whatever. More importantly though, they were hinting like "How highly do you put yourself?" Like I am guessing they thought she was too good looking for me? That may have been because of what I said about the "no" girls. They might have insinuated that I couldn't date her, but no one said that I couldn't or anything. They said that if she is always looking at me that she is "Definitely interested" and they asked if I talk to her a lot. I said "No", but explained that she has started conversations between us. They asked how I could like someone if I never talked to them. And they asked if it was "just looks" and I said "No, otherwise I would have liked her for four years" and they said that some people change.

Last period of the day, the one where we can really see each other, we only made eye contact a few times...When we moved around she was angled kind of bad for me to see her but I saw her like, you know, rub her head and look as she pulls her head up and I would look and of course look away then.

So now I feel worse about myself, like I was making things up that weren't there or something. I could post a pic but instead I will give you a broad description: I am 6' 3", slim, and am not deformed. I can't judge myself ya know?

SO MOST IMPORTANTLY:

How much do looks matter to a girl as compared to the person? I mean usually, because everyone is different. This is not a slutty type of girl, she has had a few boyfriends, one I believe was in college, the other kids in my school. I really need to do something to just figure out where I am at. I can't do anything drastic like ask her out since she is dating someone now, but if I never do anything, how will she know that I DO like her? When she looks at me, like across the room, it feels too awkward to "stare" at her, that would be weird. But just smiling would be awkward too. How do I let her know that I like her without going over the top? I understand she has a boyfriend, but I can still somehow let her know that I like her...but how??

THIS WAS YESTERDAY

It was her birthday, I had hoped to build up the courage by third period to say "Happy Birthday" to her when I walked by her before class started. But she wasn't there yet...In class, our teacher is nuts, he was putting us in as characters into his jokes and whatnot. She (from the corner of my eye) was always looking back at me and smiling, and laughing as well. Earlier that period (its religion class) we were discussing divorce and what areas are hard to deal with it. She may not have known, but I knew her parents were divorced and she had to choose who to live with. Eventually I made this comment:

"I think it would be hard to decide between one parent" thats in a nutshell, maybe I was sucking up to her, but she doesn't know it...

The next period I walked in (early) right behind her, as I am coming through the door she is coming out. I look at her and she was smiling, she said "Did that girl have a baby?" -in the hallway- I walked out of the room a step behind her and said, "Who, that girl in the white coat", she said "She had a stroller"-and I said "Oh, I thought you meant she was pregnant"-and she said "I think she was last year"-and I said "Thats still kinda weird" and she said something and that was all for that. I felt VERY comfortable when she looked at me and started talking, not nervous one bit. I extended the conversation as much as I could. She seems more and more beautiful to me every time I see her (especially when we talk)

At lunch I realized something as well. Two of her closest friends (not really attractive ones imo...but thats un-important) are dating two of my good friends, one sits to my right and the other in front of me. I wish I knew her friends better...but that can't hurt!

At study hall a few kids (one girl, and a good looking one at that) were still discussing me. They were pretty sure it was Kayla. The one girl said she heard someone talking, in a good way, about me earlier. I said "did she have a boyfriend" and she said "Yes", so I hope it was Kayla. But the girl said she thinks her and her bf get along well, but the guy said thats not at all what he heard, which is my suspicion. He said to just admit it was her and they both kept saying "She is VERY good looking" and they emphasized "sexy" for whatever reason. They also mentioned how quiet she was and shy etc. The girl confused me when she said "That would make my year if (me) and Kayla date" I said why and she said "I don't know, it was just be awesome."

English class came and again we saw each other at least 5 times. In general here is what I noticed and would like help deciphering these things:

She has started a few conversations with me, neither about boring stuff like "How is your day?" or the weather etc.

I have not seen her start conversations with many or any guys really, but she sometimes does with girls.

She laughs at most things I say. Agrees with others. Smiles when she starts talking everytime, like a big smile in the few convos we had.

I want to start doing something more but it is so much easier when she starts it. Any ideas/answers??

Oregon Blackberry

Can I get the Cliff's Note version? In other words, about a fourth of the size of that?

I don't know if I want to read a novel. LOL

Almost... I am lazy.. and your post was wayyyy too long...

Can you shorten it somehow... like 10 lines or so? ;)

• Author

I think you would like it if you read it. Ten minutes MAYBE. Trust me, reading it all is really the only way you can fully understand.

Oregon Blackberry

Actually, you are right, I really did need to read the whole post to completely understand it.

I have to say that I have a feeling since there has been conversation with her friends about her, even vague conversation, she is aware that you like her.

I feel that you should ask her out. Somehow bring it into the conversation. Maybe you can say "Do you like pizza? I went to X Pizza place last night. It is really genuine Chicago-style pizza, you have to try it. They even have vegetarian, if that's what you're into. Would you like to go with me?"

That is my advice. This is a way to ask her out without being obvious about it, because you're getting excited about the pizza and her going with you is sort of an afterthought, so you have a pizza eating companion. By the way, it doesn't have to be a pizza restaurant, maybe some off the wall cafe, Greek restaurant, Italian (even though pizza is Italian, but maybe if it's an Italian restaurant but not JUST a pizza place), sushi (though you're taking a risk here, because if she hates sushi, and there is about a 50/50 chance she does, you've lost the chance for a date).

You get the idea! Ask her out!

• Author
Actually, you are right, I really did need to read the whole post to completely understand it.

I have to say that I have a feeling since there has been conversation with her friends about her, even vague conversation, she is aware that you like her.

I feel that you should ask her out. Somehow bring it into the conversation. Maybe you can say "Do you like pizza? I went to X Pizza place last night. It is really genuine Chicago-style pizza, you have to try it. They even have vegetarian, if that's what you're into. Would you like to go with me?"

That is my advice. This is a way to ask her out without being obvious about it, because you're getting excited about the pizza and her going with you is sort of an afterthought, so you have a pizza eating companion. By the way, it doesn't have to be a pizza restaurant, maybe some off the wall cafe, Greek restaurant, Italian (even though pizza is Italian, but maybe if it's an Italian restaurant but not JUST a pizza place), sushi (though you're taking a risk here, because if she hates sushi, and there is about a 50/50 chance she does, you've lost the chance for a date).

You get the idea! Ask her out!

Two issues, I am not sure the girl she is talking about was Kayla. She wouldn't tell me, but the way she said it made it seem like she did hear Kayla talking.

Issue two, she has a boyfriend still, but again no one feels she likes him. I have this feeling about/with her that I never did with another girl. Always nervous till she starts talking, then I am relaxed as anything. I can't ask her out, imo, if she has a boyfriend can I?? Maybe if she KNEW and I KNEW she KNEW I would ask her??

Oregon Blackberry

I agree with your friends who are saying to ask her out. Just forget the fact that she has a boyfriend. You are in high school. She is not married. Seriously, you just have to go with your instinct and ask her out. It DOES seem that she has a feeling for you. Also, if you ask her to dinner or a cafe or something, that is not a crime, even if she has a boyfriend! You just want to get to know her, what is wrong with taking a friend for a soda or dinner?

Sorry, didn`t read the post yet:o

But, based on the replies, if I was young again, I would just go for it in situations with girls. There is not much to lose. But, the good news is that if a girl rejects you, she will never forget it.

Many years later after she has been beat down by sorry azzed men she will remember you. She will always feel bad about the way she was and the path it has made for her.

Not that it will help you any in the present moment:mad:

• Author
Sorry, didn`t read the post yet:o

But, based on the replies, if I was young again, I would just go for it in situations with girls. There is not much to lose. But, the good news is that if a girl rejects you, she will never forget it.

Many years later after she has been beat down by sorry azzed men she will remember you. She will always feel bad about the way she was and the path it has made for her.

Not that it will help you any in the present moment:mad:

I feel VERY uncomfortable asking a girl out who is dating now. I imagine how I would feel if I was dating her and someone else asked her out. And even worse, her reply could be "I have a boyfriend" or something to that effect, which would then require that she "cheat." I am wondering if it easier for her to find out and get the OK from her friends or let her find out and break up with him.

I think about her all the time for a month or so now, and while I may be blinded it SEEMS like no girl in the world is as beautiful as her. Anyone else ever feel like that and think they would NEVER find someone as beautiful as that person?

almost there

I think most in high school are crushing on someone. Situation normal. I did and as best I recall my crush would change about once a year. But never had any insight into really approaching a girl. Just admired from afar:mad:

Maybe someone who is highschool savy can give you the current lowdown.

Oregon Blackberry

actually, I am a teacher (used to teach high school, now teaching middle school), and I say to ask this girl out. She seems pretty special. It also seems like she's not really that into her boyfriend.

• Author
almost there

I think most in high school are crushing on someone. Situation normal. I did and as best I recall my crush would change about once a year. But never had any insight into really approaching a girl. Just admired from afar:mad:

Maybe someone who is highschool savy can give you the current lowdown.

I am a senior and have NEVER felt this way about any girl. There are a fair amount of hot girls in the school, but it seems like the more I am around her the more beautiful she becomes, which means it must be "her" and not just her looks that I am attracted to. Plenty of guys hit on her and what not, but I am much more shy in these situations. They ask her out essentially to "hang out" and whatnot but she says no one way or another. I am not straightforward like that. I am thinking maybe she likes that about me. I have initiated exactly one conversation and it was hardly even a convo. I just asked her about an assignment. She has started a few. I can't recall her starting convos with any guys. It's the eye contact thing that made me start to like her. Everytime I looked she was looking. Now I look too much so she isn't always looking. She always looks my way when I laugh or ask questions, but not for others. All these, small things...

Oddly enough, she is real outspoken when just with her friends, but in class or whatever she is real quiet??

• Author

Let me clarify, she does not start real coversations with other guys but has with me and we see each other looking at each other, actually-I have looked at her and she was already looking, many times, but I was never looking at her and had her catch me...I wish I could focus on her but I think that would freak someone out.

almosthere

You are just beating around the bush. Just get busy and start chatting her up. If you can`t break thru then just lay low and say you tried.

Your current thinking will get you disappointment when she moves on to the next guy. May as well be you no:cool:???

You can`t learn anything new by speculating about things too much. That is where many young guys get left behind. They think too much and are too shy to act.

• Author

What to talk about with a shy girl? "God damm you are unbelievable and I think about you 24/7" would freak me out! I need to build confidence, which is part of the reason I am here. From what I can tell I am ideal for many women...

6'3"

Slim

Good smile

Blue eyes

Dark hair

Meet every standard requirement? I am a tad whiter than most kids, but whatever. I laugh and joke around a lot. Man, what to say to her! Don't want to screw it up mainly. If someone else let her know it'd be 10x easier, like in 5th grade lol. All help is appreciated more than you will ever know.

I am a kid whos rep went from terrible and little friends due to a horrible freshman incident to someone who is friends with almost everyone, no one hates, but hasn't dated. And she is an unknown girl as far as popularity goes, but typically regarded as the most beautiful girl by far in the school.

MUST

BUILD

CONFIDENCE

Need help;)

Oregon Blackberry

I really think you do just need to start talking to her more. I agree with that. You two sound very similar, she sounds great. And you do sound ideal, just talk to her more without the awkwardness. When it comes down to it, she is just a person like anyone else, so just talk!

hehe...I remember high school. And beyond. Guys who just hung around and wanted to be friends, were exactly that - guys who hung around and were friends. If they didn't ask me out, we didn't go out. NOT THAT LONG AGO, I had several male friends, among them we played chess, had bbq's, but no real dates "per se". And they all got jealous when a different guy just boldly asked me out on CLEARLY A DATE, and I WENT. BECAUSE HE ASKED. Even if they "think" they are a boyfriend, they have to ACT like a boyfriend, and MAKE THEIR INTENTIONS CLEAR TO ME AS WELL. I don't play the hints and guessing games. A guy can beat around the bush all year long, and I am not going to read the hints and innuendos. I am willing to bet Kayla doesn't either. THAT IS HOW MISCOMMUNICATION IN RELATIONSHIPS STARTS. Say what you mean, dammit. Speak slowly, use single syllables, spell if necessary, but MAKE IT CLEAR. I am also not forward and will generally not ask a guy out, unless it is as a friend, and I would ask ANY friend to go with me.

• Author
hehe...I remember high school. And beyond. Guys who just hung around and wanted to be friends, were exactly that - guys who hung around and were friends. If they didn't ask me out, we didn't go out. NOT THAT LONG AGO, I had several male friends, among them we played chess, had bbq's, but no real dates "per se". And they all got jealous when a different guy just boldly asked me out on CLEARLY A DATE, and I WENT. BECAUSE HE ASKED. Even if they "think" they are a boyfriend, they have to ACT like a boyfriend, and MAKE THEIR INTENTIONS CLEAR TO ME AS WELL. I don't play the hints and guessing games. A guy can beat around the bush all year long, and I am not going to read the hints and innuendos. I am willing to bet Kayla doesn't either. THAT IS HOW MISCOMMUNICATION IN RELATIONSHIPS STARTS. Say what you mean, dammit. Speak slowly, use single syllables, spell if necessary, but MAKE IT CLEAR. I am also not forward and will generally not ask a guy out, unless it is as a friend, and I would ask ANY friend to go with me.

I am getting to that point. But again, I am stuck with the issue that she has a boyfriend.

• Author

Thanks for the help so far. Tomm. is regular school day, I will do something if the situation presents itself. But nothing more than a conversation. Tuesday however we are going on an out of state field trip. I almost want to ask the teacher to be put in her group, but I don't know...Then I am with her and probably one of her friends, could be terrible, or great. Do you all think asking the teacher for this would be bad? The teacher is in her low 20s and is a girl and I am 75% sure she would tip her off if I asked. AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope at least on the field trip we SEE each other, many times, and I can finally unleash a smile and extended look...;)

Oregon Blackberry
Thanks for the help so far. Tomm. is regular school day, I will do something if the situation presents itself. But nothing more than a conversation. Tuesday however we are going on an out of state field trip. I almost want to ask the teacher to be put in her group, but I don't know...Then I am with her and probably one of her friends, could be terrible, or great. Do you all think asking the teacher for this would be bad? The teacher is in her low 20s and is a girl and I am 75% sure she would tip her off if I asked. AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope at least on the field trip we SEE each other, many times, and I can finally unleash a smile and extended look...;)

Hmm, I think you should ask. I don't think the teacher would tip the girl off. There are a lot of guy and girl friendships in high school and plus it would not be appropriate for her to tip her off that you like her.

God, almosthere.. I should send you a copy of my high school journal. Just reading your story brings back memories. Crushes can be powerful, especially when it's so easy to see someone as perfect when you really don't know them very well at all. It's a great feeling. However, I rarely if ever "went for it", and I think you have a lot of people routing for you who had the same experiences and never took advantage of it. Don't let history repeat itself!

So ok.. I don't know about the asking the teacher thing, it depends I guess.. is the teacher cool? Has he/she made groups yet? These are factors.. but in any case.. what to talk to her about.. ANYTHING really. Hell ask her if she has a boyfriend.. that's a great way to find out in a hurry honestly. So what if you think she knows you know she has a boyfriend.. it doesn't matter. It's a good way to find out how serious if at all she is about him. If she asks why you are asking, just say you are the curious type. That's all. You needn't explain yourself further. If you are as comfortable as you claim talking to her, then just TALK TO HER. You say you might be what every girl is looking for, and that might be true, but nobody wants a guy without any guts. Guts aren't how tall you are or the color of your eyes. Guts are something that you will eventually get when you realize standing idle gets you nothing in life. Sometimes in life, you will learn, you just have to say 'aw to hell with it', and take a chance. Taking no chances only results in no rewards. If you are okay with that, then keep playing the cat and mouse game; see where it gets you. So next time you have a conversation with her, ask her if she has a boyfriend. :)

I feel VERY uncomfortable asking a girl out who is dating now. I imagine how I would feel if I was dating her and someone else asked her out. And even worse, her reply could be "I have a boyfriend" or something to that effect, which would then require that she "cheat." I am wondering if it easier for her to find out and get the OK from her friends or let her find out and break up with him.

I think about her all the time for a month or so now, and while I may be blinded it SEEMS like no girl in the world is as beautiful as her. Anyone else ever feel like that and think they would NEVER find someone as beautiful as that person?

In this situation, you have to be the man and ask her yourself. High school girls are notoriously unreliable. You cannot rely on her friends (who are sitting in judgment of you, BTW) to hook her up with you. You must take matters into your own hands.

What I've found works quite well is to strike up a light conversation first - get her to laugh at your jokes, and then end it somewhat abruptly by saying there's somewhere you have to be but "Let's get together later for coffee[/dinner/whatever you think she likes.]" Set up a place and time, get her phone number if she hasn't ever given it to you before, and you're done.

Also, make an effort to meet other girls in your class, even if they're not as pretty as this particular one. I found that once I started meeting lots of women, getting shot down by one seemed like a significantly less disastrous event, as there were plenty more where that came from.

Edit: I'm totally rooting for you, man. I was like this in high school too, and I'm only just now really getting over it.

• Author

Today's update

Groups were already made, I am not even on her bus, let alone her group, BUT we can walk around by ourselves so I will try to spot her.

I know all the girls in our class as it is pretty small. None compare. If any of the other "hot" girls asked ME out I would not even do it. She is special for some reason.

I saw her in the hallway, at a time where I usually don't, I looked and we made eye contact and she really quickly looked away. Good? Bad?

It is painfully obvious she has a boyfriend so that would be stupid. Plus, it was just her birthday and he got her flowers so I figured I should give it a few days. I think I am going to wait till Wednesday's study hall. Then I can talk to those girls and get some of the advice they wanted to offer. They will know 100% who it is, so, I don't know how it will turn out. They said they have "power" lol, so they could help alot. Any advice NOW??

almosthere

You are just beating around the bush. Just get busy and start chatting her up. If you can`t break thru then just lay low and say you tried.

Your current thinking will get you disappointment when she moves on to the next guy. May as well be you no:cool:???

You can`t learn anything new by speculating about things too much. That is where many young guys get left behind. They think too much and are too shy to act.

Listen to this man.

Between classes or at your locker, tell her you heard it was her birthday the other day, wish her a belated happy birthday, and ask her if she did anything fun to celebrate. Converse with her for a bit and then tell her you have to leave, but that it was fun talking to her, and that you should get together for coffee later or something. If she declines, say "Alright, fair enough" and move on. If she says yes, obviously, you're in.