LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

[UPDATE]How do I tell my roommate, an elderly lady, she eventually needs to move out.

Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2018, 5:33 PM   #61
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
She just left to look at 2 rooms today. One is a lady who lives 2 blocks away in the large subdivision across the street. They both are from NY. Itís s shared bathroom and the other woman is also a smoker. There will be 3 adult females living in the house. She has high hopes this will work.

We had a long chat yesterday and I threw in there spring break starts March 5 and Iím taking a couple days off to get some stuff done around here and I need her room emptied and my garage space back. She said she plans on being totally moved out by sat March 3 and have some faith in her. She did ask for help in getting a truck to move her bed. Apart from that she can move everything else in a few trips in her car.

She said this woman is ok with the fact she works a lot from home. Great. I certainly am not a fan of it.

Itís getting close!
Sounds promising!
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 9:44 PM   #62
Established Member

Ate filled me on todayís events. out of 2 rooms today she only saw 1. The 1 lady off Craigís list cancelled- typical. The other lady by me they did meet. She said the house was ok not as big as mine and the room has a king bed in it and not much room for else. The home owner doesnít work so she rents out 2 rooms to pay her mortgage. The other renter is A young woman whoís hardly home. Street parking only and it was $50 more a month for the garage.

Boy was I giving this woman a deal. No wonder next she doesnít want to move.

The woman though apparently promised someone they could see the room tmrw so she couldnít give my roommate dibs yet but wants 3 references

I told her she needs to go look at studio apts as a back up plan in case this room falls through. She said she has already started looking and will go see a couple tmrw.

At sny rate she send to know she has 2 weeks to find a place no exceptions.
Purrrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 1:58 PM   #63
Established Member

It looks like she Took a room across the street just a couple blocks away. Sheís moving next Sat. Sheís paying $50 more a month for much less but thatís all she wants to pay. She will have 2 full time roommates ( both female) and will be sharing a bathroom. She is at the point where she really doesnít have much options. She waited until the last minute to look and the only place she somewhat liked and was clean that made offer.

This homeowner doesnít work full time outside the house either and also smokes so hopefully this works out.

I do have to admit I will miss her just a little and I feel a little bad but I no longer want someone in my house 22/7 nor do I want A smoky smelling garage anymore.
Old 25th February 2018, 3:19 AM   #64
Established Member

Quote:
It looks like she Took a room across the street just a couple blocks away. Sheís moving next Sat. Sheís paying $50 more a month for much less but thatís all she wants to pay. She will have 2 full time roommates ( both female) and will be sharing a bathroom. She is at the point where she really doesnít have much options. She waited until the last minute to look and the only place she somewhat liked and was clean that made offer.

This homeowner doesnít work full time outside the house either and also smokes so hopefully this works out.

I do have to admit I will miss her just a little and I feel a little bad but I no longer want someone in my house 22/7 nor do I want A smoky smelling garage anymore.
It's good you care about her and hopefully in time you two can maintain a friendship ... but with that said, give yourself space from her. I can see her popping over to visit too often and not giving you a chance to breathe. Set some boundaries with her once she moves out.

She waited too long to look for a great place. Instead she called your bluff really in hopes that you wouldn't make her move out and now she is in a place that is okay but probably could be better.

Enjoy your (soon to be) freedom in your house!
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2018, 11:31 AM   #65
Established Member

Thanks.

Word of advice. If someone gives you 90+ days notice to move, use it wisely. She was supposed to be out at end of jan and asked for an extension which I shouldnít have even given her. But of course I donít think she started looking until Jan so she of course couldnít find anything she liked that was affordable.

Itís so ridiculous she should have been able to find a better place for the money but sheís out of time again. This womans house is in a great part of town and itís a pretty decent house but she will be sharing a bathroom ( which I would refuse to do) and street parking and less privacy for more than she paid me. Oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwayisup View Post
It's good you care about her and hopefully in time you two can maintain a friendship ... but with that said, give yourself space from her. I can see her popping over to visit too often and not giving you a chance to breathe. Set some boundaries with her once she moves out.

She waited too long to look for a great place. Instead she called your bluff really in hopes that you wouldn't make her move out and now she is in a place that is okay but probably could be better.

Enjoy your (soon to be) freedom in your house!
Old 3rd March 2018, 7:57 PM   #66
Established Member

Update- sheís moved out as of today. She is only living a few blocks away.

Although she hasnít given me her keys or garage remote yet.

Today is bittersweet. I feel weird. My kids are mad at me. We were gone all day doing errands and sports. I feel bad and I miss her
A little bit she was starting to become a burden here. Barely any money. Smoking. Home all day and night I just couldnít deal with it anymore after 18 months My 9 yr old son really liked her and asked me why I kicked her out. He actually asked her why she has to move out.

I donít want to make a big deal about this when she returns the keys. Iíll give her a hug and wish her well and the kids and I do plan on visiting her since she is literally moving only a couple blocks away.

Sniff.
Old 3rd March 2018, 8:02 PM   #67
Established Member

Quote:
Update- sheís moved out as of today. She is only living a few blocks away.

Although she hasnít given me her keys or garage remote yet.

Today is bittersweet. I feel weird. My kids are mad at me. We were gone all day doing errands and sports. I feel bad and I miss her
A little bit she was starting to become a burden here. Barely any money. Smoking. Home all day and night I just couldnít deal with it anymore after 18 months My 9 yr old son really liked her and asked me why I kicked her out. He actually asked her why she has to move out.

I donít want to make a big deal about this when she returns the keys. Iíll give her a hug and wish her well and the kids and I do plan on visiting her since she is literally moving only a couple blocks away.

Sniff.
Awww, about your kids. Well, honestly I would focus mostly on the smoking with regard to the kids. That would be enough of a reason for me. And hopefully they will learn to think of her as another "grandma" a couple blocks away and that will be enough for them.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 1:35 PM   #68
Established Member

I just texted her asking for remote and keys back. She has my only working remote since mine is programmed through my car. And my daughter lost her house key so I need her keys back. I just sent her a friendly text asking if I can come by or she can drop them off.
Old 4th March 2018, 3:42 PM   #69
Established Member

Don't feel bad, and the kids are free to go help her with things as they wish, and you can invite her to dinner and show that you have nothing against her but that it was just about privacy.
Old 11th March 2018, 12:05 PM   #70
Established Member

FYI I am absolutely loving my house to myself. Iím having the floor replaced in her room as soon as my guy has an opening which I think is 2 weeks. That will finish my home improvement project for this year. My daughters new furniture and mattress is delivered and her room is being painted Friday.

My daughter has been talking to the former roomie through text. She misses us. Sweet lady but I canít have someone living here who does almost nothing all day every day. Sorry not sorry.

My garage finallly is smoke free as well. Once all my old furniture is gone from it Iím going to clean it out. Itís nice not having he other leaky car in it all the time.