LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Coworker with 'flexible' hours

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2017, 6:27 PM   #31

Facts vs Emotion

Clearly you dont like this co-worker. The language you use to define her tells us this. That is OK BTW, not everyone needs to like each other. The original post as well as follow up comments really do ring of jealousy more than anything else.

You admittedly dont have any real FACTS on what arrangements your co-worker has, or doesn't have, with management, you just FEEL slighted that this younger woman is getting away with what you cant. The company you work for is not in the business of managing peoples feelings. They are in the business of making money at whatever it is that they do. What they need is for people to focus on their own work and do it to the best of their ability.

Now, it's a different story if you have to pick up her slack. Then, I believe that you have factual reason to gripe. If you were doing part of the work she is being paid to do, then you need to be compensated for it. If you, or the others in the office, have to add her work to your workload, then there is a vehicle for you to point out her lackadaisical work ethic. Simply don't do it. Let it become management's issue to fix. You cant do your work and her overload, just do yours and let the other stuff sit. Sooner, rather than later, the issue will come to the surface and it will have to be addressed more formally. Sure, that is passive aggressive at it's finest, but it will get the issue addressed.

It sure sucks to be paid the same as others that cant or wont put in the same effort!
Triggs1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017, 7:36 PM   #32
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Is there a gentle way to nudge her? I don't want to be mean and report her to management yet,.
In short, NO. Gentle doesn't work. Either get used to it, or get nasty. Management obviously already knows about it, or she wouldn't be getting away with it. It means she might be someone's favorite. So... you've either got to put up with it or find a way to "un-favorite" her. Are you prepared to take that step?
Old 27th November 2017, 7:59 PM   #33
Established Member

I think I'll just let it be.

The naked truth is she's most likely paid significantly less than most of the other people working on the same position with us, and the management tends to favorite these (young, low-salaried) guys and even 'promote' them. That's how they get retention of young, unexperienced and underpaid people and everyone is happy. Bleh .
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 9:56 AM   #34
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
I think I'll just let it be.

The naked truth is she's most likely paid significantly less than most of the other people working on the same position with us, and the management tends to favorite these (young, low-salaried) guys and even 'promote' them. That's how they get retention of young, unexperienced and underpaid people and everyone is happy. Bleh .

I think that is the best attitude to have. If it starts to bother you to where you can't overlook it, that should be your indicator to look for another job. You might be surprised how other companies operate differently and actually value quality experienced employees.

If I was in an environment like that and felt they valued employees first on what they paid them and second on their actual value to the company, I personally wouldn't want to be there very long. But as long as I felt valued appropriately, even if some seemed to be "over-valued", I wouldn't care too much about that.
ChatroomHero is offline   Reply With Quote