LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Coworker with 'flexible' hours

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2017, 9:31 AM   #16
Established Member

Here's the thing I have found over the years:

If someone worked a better deal than you, jealousy will never even it out. If she was good at negotiations and valued for whatever reason that may or may not be legit, good for her. You can do the same thing. If you are not skilled enough at negotiations to get the same deal, you have the option of leaving for a better deal or more fair work environment.

If a co-worker doing the same job as me gets paid $20,000 more, the worst thing I can do is try to get her down to my level. The best thing to do is figure out how I work the same deal.

Successful people don't try to bring others to their level, they try to rise up so they are the ones with the sweetheart deal. That's success. You earning the same, working the same hours, having the same benefits that you do right now and bringing a co-worker down to match you is punishment and does not better you in anyway.

As long as your job performance is not negatively affected by her work schedule, if you want to be successful, work on figuring out how you can work a similar or better deal. Trying to "punish" her down to your level only means 2 people lose and nobody wins. If you learn how to better your position and work schedule, you both win.
ChatroomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 10:08 AM   #17
Established Member

Is she getting paid for more hours than she is working?

Because if she is taking a bunch of time off unpaid, then keep that in context. Not everyone wants/needs to work 40 hours + every week.
GunslingerRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 10:20 AM   #18
Established Member

Just to put things straight: it is not that I want to match her schedule. You could be right that this is a deal that she worked out, then it is ok; I brought it up because I have felt like this behavior is borderline fraudulent (i.e. speculating with the trust / lack of attention of the management)...
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 11:14 AM   #19
Established Member

I agree with the others that if you're not in charge of her, it's not really any of your business - best not to say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
Just to put things straight: it is not that I want to match her schedule. You could be right that this is a deal that she worked out, then it is ok; I brought it up because I have felt like this behavior is borderline fraudulent (i.e. speculating with the trust / lack of attention of the management)...
What sort of job does she do?

Personally, I feel that for any job that doesn't require literal physical presence (i.e. not a receptionist, waitress, nurse, doctor, cashier, chef, etc), hrs/week is a pretty pointless barometer. Someone could be at their desk for 50 hrs/week, but if half of those hours are spent on Facebook and chatting at the water cooler, they're being less productive than someone who is at their desk 30 hrs/week but working the entire time... and certainly a LOT less productive than someone who is at their desk 30 hrs/week, working the entire time, and doing some work at home as well. Not to even mention that different people work at different speeds.

I manage a small team for work. And frankly, I don't give a shyt if they work the hours they're paid for or not, as long as they produce good results. If they don't, THEN we have a problem.

Last edited by Elswyth; 13th November 2017 at 11:22 AM..
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2017, 11:43 AM   #20
Established Member

What sort of job does she do? Analytics mainly.

Oh, she is verrrry active in water cooler and office chitchat as well I guess that's part of the character traits of someone that enjoys slacking so much and keeps it going by being people's person...

I just can't find a good excuse for making up a plumber/mechanic/doctor appointment at least once or twice a week and don't even putting an effort to make it sound plausible.
Old 14th November 2017, 1:20 AM   #21
Established Member

When I started my job, the first day I had a meeting with the boss and he told me:

"I really don't care where you do the work. I only care about the output. If you want to work some days from home, no problem, you don't even need to tell me. If you want to sit by the pool in Hawaii and work there, all good. I care about the quality/quantity, meeting the deadlines and attending scheduled meetings"

I took him at face value
Old 14th November 2017, 2:08 AM   #22
Established Member

My cousin once bragged that he got great evals at work and the supervisor praised him for working so hard; in reality, he would sneak out to play golf here and there

Indeed, as long as you are doing a good job, who cares how much time you have spent working!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
When I started my job, the first day I had a meeting with the boss and he told me:

"I really don't care where you do the work. I only care about the output. If you want to work some days from home, no problem, you don't even need to tell me. If you want to sit by the pool in Hawaii and work there, all good. I care about the quality/quantity, meeting the deadlines and attending scheduled meetings"

I took him at face value
JuneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 9:21 AM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post

I took him at face value
Are they hiring??

TFY
Old 14th November 2017, 10:56 AM   #24
Established Member

Resorting to unethical behaviors to slack off work is very different than having flexible time in the office. That’s why I was sarcastic in the OP.

Again - we’re talking about someone sneaking out with absurd excuses and also someone with zero life responsibilities to justify somehow such behavior.

I guess I’m relationship context it will translate to ‘I b*ng my wifey’s friends when I feel like it but why should she care when she can’t see it and I’m also f*cking her regularly (‘getting the job done’)’
Old 14th November 2017, 11:19 AM   #25
Established Member

Some jobs are about face time / showing up & others are about productivity.

I am not a morning person. I had a job where to some extent face time was important but bottom line was productivity was morning important. I was rarely at my desk before 9:15 a.m., I routinely took more than 1 hour for lunch & I only worked occasional weekends but I was the most efficient employee in the company. Even though the company had 15 people generating revenue, by myself I was 11% of the company's bottom line & was the company's top producer. If all 15 of us billed equally, we'd only each be responsible for 6.6% of the revenue. My boss knew I was producing almost double so he never minded the liberties I took. Had my production slid below 7% I'm sure I would have been in deep trouble for coming in late.

If this woman's behavior is causing morale problems, tell your boss that. You may get an explanation like the one I just shared with you about my production. I know that is what others were told who complained about my schedule: bill what she does & you can have her schedule too. If on the other hand your coworker is not getting the job done, pick up the slack & point that out to your boss when it comes time for your raise.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 1:05 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Resorting to unethical behaviors to slack off work is very different than having flexible time in the office. That’s why I was sarcastic in the OP.

Again - we’re talking about someone sneaking out with absurd excuses and also someone with zero life responsibilities to justify somehow such behavior.

I guess I’m relationship context it will translate to ‘I b*ng my wifey’s friends when I feel like it but why should she care when she can’t see it and I’m also f*cking her regularly (‘getting the job done’)’
That analogy is a huge stretch, because the reason people get into monogamous relationships isn't usually JUST to get fcked regularly - monogamy in and of itself is one of the expected results. On the other hand, the reason anyone would hire an analyst IS solely to get the job done. Whether she sits at her desk 45 hrs a week or 30, why would it matter if she's producing good results? It sounds like the only reason you want her to be there is so that you don't feel jealous about having to be there yourself, which isn't really a great reason.

A better analogy in the relationships/sex department would be someone masturbating while in a relationship. Harmful if it negatively impacts their partnered sex life, harmless otherwise.
Old 14th November 2017, 5:18 PM   #27
Established Member

@d0n: I don’t think she is particularly productive but she’s very sleazy so she may have convinced someone she is. In any case - I shared it because I’m mind boggled that a young woman with zero responsibilities in life is comfortable enough slacking. At her age I’d rather die than underperform at work but I guess she’s not entirely morally driven to put it mildly.

@els: we can agree to disagree. Let say the particular example just shows how under-committed people can be to their work place and I’m certain this is an ethical characteristics that spreads to any other aspect in life (I’d personally be guilt tripping for months if I make a fake excuse to get out of work, or cheat, or any other unethical behavior so seeing others that are not that way just makes my mind spin round and round. Especially at the tender age of 25 in which most people are as idealistic as they’ll ever be...
Old 16th November 2017, 9:21 AM   #28
Established Member

Quote:

This really sounds like jealousy.

I get calls late at night when I am in the middle of things...once took on fixing an issue over the phone form the beach on vacation where I was asked to mute my phone because the ocean was too loud. The people that clock out at 5pm and have never even considered for 10 seconds taking a call or responding after 5, still do a good job and make it work. I figured I am the one that could help resolve it quickly, it wasn't then end of the world that it cut into my vacation, so it was my responsibility to handle it. I don't spite the other employees that wouldn't because "they are on vacation" or "busy" and hold it against them because they did not prioritize an issue over something personal like I would.

You saying her excuses aren't plausible to you are irrelevant. They don't have to be and if it is not affecting your performance directly, it is none of your business. For that matter, you don't even know if her reasons are legit or not. Maybe she has a disease or sickness and has appointments every week. When she says she has to wait for the plumber, maybe she is getting a treatment management knows about and she doesn't want co-workers know her medical issues.

Really it is just a matter of you questioning her priorities but if her employer is fine with it, it's not for you to worry about. In a way it sounds like working with a single mother or someone with kids. You can be told you have to work 85 hours a week for the next 6 months no matter what, have to reschedule a surgery and reschedule a vacation planned for a year, but those with kids are like, "I have to leave by 3:30pm to pick up my 16 year old from his school that's 1 block away from home" and management will be like, "Of course. Do you want to leave at 2:30pm?".

It is what it is. I stay out of other people's business.
ChatroomHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 10:22 AM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatroomHero View Post

I get calls late at night when I am in the middle of things...once took on fixing an issue over the phone form the beach on vacation where I was asked to mute my phone because the ocean was too loud. The people that clock out at 5pm and have never even considered for 10 seconds taking a call or responding after 5, still do a good job and make it work. I figured I am the one that could help resolve it quickly, it wasn't then end of the world that it cut into my vacation, so it was my responsibility to handle it. I don't spite the other employees that wouldn't because "they are on vacation" or "busy" and hold it against them because they did not prioritize an issue over something personal like I would.

You saying her excuses aren't plausible to you are irrelevant. They don't have to be and if it is not affecting your performance directly, it is none of your business. For that matter, you don't even know if her reasons are legit or not. Maybe she has a disease or sickness and has appointments every week. When she says she has to wait for the plumber, maybe she is getting a treatment management knows about and she doesn't want co-workers know her medical issues.

Really it is just a matter of you questioning her priorities but if her employer is fine with it, it's not for you to worry about. In a way it sounds like working with a single mother or someone with kids. You can be told you have to work 85 hours a week for the next 6 months no matter what, have to reschedule a surgery and reschedule a vacation planned for a year, but those with kids are like, "I have to leave by 3:30pm to pick up my 16 year old from his school that's 1 block away from home" and management will be like, "Of course. Do you want to leave at 2:30pm?".

Right. I mean, basically, unless there's hanky panky going on, if she was under-producing in a typical corporate environment she would swiftly find herself without employment anyway. If she's still around, chances are she's doing just fine.
Old 17th November 2017, 2:22 AM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatroomHero View Post

100% agree.

You are making assumptions that her reasons are not legit.
I have done flexible hours before for a variety of reasons - sometimes I'm happy to explain to the general public what is going on and sometimes there is one person and one person only who knows - my boss.
Sometimes I don't need nor want all and sundry knowing my business because it leads to all kinds of intrusive questions.
Unless you have access to her work/home phone use or log in times of a work based laptop you don't know she isn't working at times when she is not there.

The crux is, as many folk have said - does it affect your work directly?
If it doesn't then what hours she does is simply none of your business.

If she is shirking then management and HR have a process to follow to address it which involves monitoring. This is not an instant process and there's protocol to follow by company policy and in legal terms also.
You have noticed her hours so you can be sure others have. If there is an actual issue here it will be addressed - maybe not as quickly as you would like but it will be addressed.
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote