LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Would you ever move without a job?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2017, 4:24 AM   #31
Established Member

I moved from Michigan to California 30 years ago without a job. I made sure I had a California address and immediately started temping when I got out here. It was not only a great way to find my way around but the perfect way to find a permanent job. I registered with several agencies and could take my pick of where I wanted to work from week to week, month to month, etc. I ended up liking it so much that I did it for two years until I found a dream job at a mega law firm, and they hired me full time. I was young like you, so my advice is to do it now.

If you can work on-line or by network, that could be another option too.

Best of luck you!!!
SixxChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 1:18 PM   #32

Depends on what you are willing to sacrifice and how easy-going you are.

1) There are always jobs available for those who HAVE to work, people tend to develop "lifestyle standards". If you want to move that bad you'll flip burgers if you have to and work 3 jobs, **** it. My mom came here from France in the 80's, none of her education was recognized in Canada. So she started at the food market, took part-time school and now she's a director for the govt policy board. It's okay to start at the bottom, don't feel bad. Before quitting your job save enough to cover your ass for at least 3months.

2) Stay at a friends or a family member while you are there trying to find a job. Also you should be able to get a job there via online or phone interview, again maybe lower your standards. Mooch as much as you can, nothing wrong with food stamps or hitting up the foodbank, even if you don't have to.

3) Hostels are awesome, just check online for reviews first. Nobody said you had to buy or rent a place, you could just jump from hostel to hostel if you are hippy enough, I have had many friends do this. I will always do this when I travel, hotels are a ****ing waste of money, and you get to meet way more people, and way cooler people too.

Cheers bud, don't have regrets.
cabbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 1:26 PM   #33
Established Member

Sure, have, haven't had a job for 30+ years. Where I'm moving my stuff to now I have no idea how work will go, will just figure it out as I go. That's an advantage of being a generalist, a jack of all trades. There's always something to do.
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote