should I quit? stick it out?

So...I got this job a year ago...from the get go I knew i was going to end up hating it because a. I always end up hating whatever job i do. B. it has absolutely nothing to do with my career.

In any case I took it because it was good money and it was meant to hold me up until I had to start my internship for my masters.

Now, I tried to do the best I could, but I still could care less about the job, specially when my coworkers seemed to pretty much ignore me and the job i do (im an admin assistant) unless ofcourse something is missing.

Well this has caused a few problems, Ive missed a few details and had my supervisor call me out earlier this year. I was also having personal problems but for the sake of the job I buckled down and tried to work hard.

All was well until may when I made another mistake and was sure I was going to get fired.

I started playing with ideas as to what to do if i did get fired and figured out a way where I could live while going to school and working part time.

I didnt get fired but ever since I figured out that I could live without that job has been hell for me. I hate the thought of going to work, I hate how snobbish some of my coworkers are, how im treated like their maid and not the secretary...I just hate it.

I also just started my masters and I asked them if I could work part time. My big boss said he didnt see a problem and that he would talk to my immediate boss. Well my immediate boss said no, despite me having a clear plan as to how it would all work. I then asked if I could take my lunch hour at the end of the day..aka not take lunch and leave an hour early, to make it to class. Once again, she said no, that instead she wanted me to come an hour earlier, when noone was in the office yet, take a lunch and then leave early.

I am very fed up with this job and want to leave asap. However, this would be the 4 job i leave in 2 years and I really dont want to continue with the trend....

Also, if i do leave I dont know when to do it and when to give notice. I was thinking on giving notice tomorrow that I would leave in october so that they could have time to find someone new and have me train her (which is what would happen anyway), but I dont have anything lined up. Im looking for something part time, and hopefully in my career. I already have a few interviews, but im having a hard time being able to go to them because I cant leave work...

This is messy...can anyone pleaaaseee help me figure out what to do???

I'm in the same boat as you. I feel this way: life is too short to spend it being unhappy. I am an admin as well, and it's a thankless job. No one appreciates the secretary. We always get dumped on if something bad happens, but when things run smoothly we rarely get the credit.

I personally think you should leave, but do not under any circumstances give notice until you have something else lined up. They may call your bluff and tell you to leave now, and then you are screwed. I have seen it happen before. I would give 2 weeks notice, because that is fair. It really isn't your problem how to train the new person...it is their company and that's their problem. It would be nice if you can do that, but ultimately business is business and you have to do what's best for you.

I also don't like that your boss isn't supporting you in getting your master's. Education is very important, and that is your goal. That's a perfectly acceptable reason to want to move on.

I wish you good luck!

BTW, for the interviews...do you have any sick time? If you do, now is the time to use it. You have a right to that time if you earned it. If you don't have any sick time, it's a much more slippery slope, but I would try to finagle something. Make the interview as early as possible in the morning, or on your lunch hour. If you run into problems where you'll be late, let your boss know and maybe you could work later to make up the time or something. Under no circumstances should you show your hand, so to speak. Don't let them know you're leaving! This is business, and clearly you don't have that kind of relationship with your employer where you are sad to leave them.

• Author

I hear you, Im afraid to leave without a job but at the same time I know that if i take time off to go to interviews im sure to get fired anyway. I had to take a 2 week leave to go to another country to take care of my mom so i used up all my sick and vacation time.

Honestly from the get go ive had this ugly fear of getting fired...not a very secured place i guess...

In any case, since i have started my master I got some financial aid that will help me get thru any job gap....though im still nervous to leave without something lined up..

I have an interview tomorrow....but i still have no idea how to go since its bassically halfway thru the workday....i tried to scheduled it later but was not possible...what should i do????

how irritating is this!!

It's only messy because you've made it messy. I know you don't want to hear that but I'm a manager and a boss and I'll tell you how the real world sees this, and how it's going to affect you. First of all, when I see a resume come across my desk where a person has moved from one job to another in a short time (usually within 2 yrs), I don't even give their name a glance. That's how fast I will discard the resume.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with your job - it's your attitude. Honey, I'm being very upfront here and I hope you will listen to me - because this is probably stuff your boss would like to say to you but never will. If you will personally make the decision to appreciate what you have instead of complaining about it, you will wake up with a better attitude and the whole atmosphere at your job will change.

By that I mean that you need to see what a gift your job is. It pays you money - that's a BIG deal when you have to work and not the heir to Bill Gates' fortune; you can still get your masters and support yourself. The people you work with are very tolerant of your uncaring attitude and mistakes. If you don't think your attitude comes across, then you're really kidding yourself. When I have employees who have crappy attitudes and try to hide it with a smile or pretending, I can see through that so fast it would frighten them. Your attitude is reflected in your persona whether you believe that or not.

Take a look around at the jobless people and ask them which side of the fence they'd choose to be on. Crappy job vs. unemployment. Hmm....tought choice. In your case, if you don't have something else lined up before you quit, you're taking a huge risk. So start calculating how you're going to make it by being either jobless or flipping burgers at MacDonalds because that's probably what it's going to come down to. Everytime you walk away from a job, have a good answer prepared as to why you're doing that because your next potential employer is going to ask you why you left. And if you even skirt around the issue of not liking the job, not liking the people, not liking your boss - your interview will have just died. I spend maybe 15 minutes with people who give answers like this in interviews. You're basically digging a grave for yourself and you need to put the brakes on now before the hole gets any deeper.

Also by getting annoyed with your boss for not letting you work the hours you want shows an extremely immature attitude. Now I know you're going to say that you don't let her see how annoyed you are about it - but I can save you the suspense and tell you that she knows it. There are so many things in your posting that are like big red flares shooting through the sky and you don't even see it. Please don't sabbotage your career like this. You are burning bridges.

Even if you hate a job with every fiber of your being, there is always something there that you can be appreciative of. Find it and cling to it. You're not there to make buddies or socialize - you're getting paid to do a function by a company that is in business to make a profit. And if they do that, they can continue to operate and pay employees like you.

As a sidenote, I think it's actually illegal to arrange work hours so that an employee doesn't take a lunch - so your boss is probably making a decision based on that. And if her boss is the one you spoke to and he was agreeable I'll tell you that he's a wimp, he knows better, and if you worked directly for him, he would've said no, too. But what he did was make you think he was agreeable, put the monkey on your boss's back so that she would have to say no. What you don't know about are the conversations that go on between your boss and the guy you spoke to. It's very possible that he vetoed it before he ever said anything to her. So don't underestimate what happens behind closed doors. The majority of the time, you do not want to be the topic of conversation when the doors are shut. If I were your boss, I'd probably fire you for going over my head.

I would also add that your boss probably has her reasons for not wanting you to work part-time. My guess would be this - either she can't afford to have you gone that many hours, or she might've considered it if you were a better employee. I personally do not reward employees who I don't feel give 100% in a job. If I decide to keep them, which I usually don't, mediocre is all they ever give and that's all they'll ever get. Since you were hired to work the hours that you do, it's very unfair of you to become disgruntled with your boss simply because she won't accomodate you.

So now that I've said all of the above, this is what I would suggest to turn things around for you, and to actually surprise your boss - in a good way. Decide that while you're at this company, you're going to appreciate it and the people you work with every day. Decide that even though this wouldn't be your job of choice, there is always something to learn. And know that when you leave, you will leave not only on good terms but you'll also be proud of yourself for having turned things around and making the most of things.

Your mind-set affects all of this. Once you appreciate what you have, it will come across everything you do and people will see it and start to respond to it. They may not trust it at first but over time they'll see that you mean business. When you were hired on at that company, you went in with an agreement - that you would do a particular job in exchange for money. That's really what it's about. All the other stuff is just extra. So make the decision that you're there to make your boss look good, to support her and her team, to do what your were hired to do, and bring home all that money so that you can eat and live with a certain level of comfort. Be thankful for that. There is an end in sight to all of this - getting your masters and moving on. But what will this company say about you when the next company calls for a reference? That's what you need to think about because they're going to judge you on past performance. That's all they have to go by. And by not being a good employee - whether it's your job of choice or not - says a LOT about your character.

In case you didn't know this, lots of successful people did jobs they didn't like, and that they even hated. But most of them will tell you that they did it with a great attitude and it made things go so much better. Please do this for your boss, the people who work with you, the company, and for yourself. Good luck.

I'm in the same boat as you. I feel this way: life is too short to spend it being unhappy. I am an admin as well, and it's a thankless job. No one appreciates the secretary. We always get dumped on if something bad happens, but when things run smoothly we rarely get the credit.

I personally think you should leave, but do not under any circumstances give notice until you have something else lined up. They may call your bluff and tell you to leave now, and then you are screwed. I have seen it happen before. I would give 2 weeks notice, because that is fair. It really isn't your problem how to train the new person...it is their company and that's their problem. It would be nice if you can do that, but ultimately business is business and you have to do what's best for you.

I also don't like that your boss isn't supporting you in getting your master's. Education is very important, and that is your goal. That's a perfectly acceptable reason to want to move on.

I wish you good luck!

You're not really serious, are you??? Her boss didn't hire her in order to support her education.

You know, I started out as an Admin Asst and honestly I loved it and got all kinds of appreciation for the things I did. It's all about attitude. These comments here are really frightening to me to think that people actually think this way.

BTW, for the interviews...do you have any sick time? If you do, now is the time to use it. You have a right to that time if you earned it. If you don't have any sick time, it's a much more slippery slope, but I would try to finagle something. Make the interview as early as possible in the morning, or on your lunch hour. If you run into problems where you'll be late, let your boss know and maybe you could work later to make up the time or something. Under no circumstances should you show your hand, so to speak. Don't let them know you're leaving! This is business, and clearly you don't have that kind of relationship with your employer where you are sad to leave them.

Your attitude about honesty and integrity toward an employer is truly troublesome. Why would someone have a right to use sick time? Unless it's tied into a person's vacation time, or that's the company's policy to use sick time in any way they choose, there are no 'rights' associated with sick time. The best way to handle this would be to let her boss know in advance that she has an appointment on a certain date, to ask if that will create any problems, and then let her know as to when she can be expected back in the office. Also, reminding her boss of the appointment again the day before would also be courteous.

The truth is, at the rate this person is going, she'll be lucky to have a job by the end of the week.

This is messy...can anyone pleaaaseee help me figure out what to do???

I would not quit before you've lined up another job.

I understand your frustrations in balancing work and education.

What I suggest is to take a weekend vacation if you can to help clear out your mind. Continue to take the master's courses, even if it is 1 class at a time as a professional student. If you can apply for student loans and go full steam ahead in to completing your studies.

Prodigal Princess

I'm curious... What career path do you intend to embark on once you've completed your Masters? I assume it will take at least 5 years to complete, if you are doing it part time.

Are you really only continuing your studies because you have no idea what you want to do in the real world?

You know, I started out as an Admin Asst and honestly I loved it and got all kinds of appreciation for the things I did.

Good for you! Aren't you lucky!

I can sympathize with the OP. I very rarely remember getting thanked for doing something well. But if something goes wrong or a mistake is made, I'm the first to hear about it. If it's my fault, I'm more than happy to own up, but if I'm not...well, I just grin and bear it, because I do need a job.

However, Angel, just because the OP needs a job and is afraid to lose one is no excuse to treat someone like crap. We all have our personal standards. If s/he's unhappy, they need to move on and start fresh. I'm entitled to my opinion.

And BTW, employees have a choice too. I personally would not want to work for you, just as certain as I'm sure you wouldn't want to hire me. The feeling is quite mutual, I assure you.

Is there honesty and integrity towards employees anymore? Not where I've worked. Especially among admins...the attitude is, you are very easily replaceable. Business is business. You yourself said it. If I had a boss with an attitude like you, I'd think, "Well, they're not looking out for my interests, I'm not looking out for theirs." Yes, I do my work...and then some! But if you think I'm going to toil for 2 plus years without trying to better myself by finishing school because I'm going to look out for YOUR best interests above my own(and by "your", I mean an employer), you've got another thing coming.

I agree, the OP should not leave a job without having another lined up. And if the OP had kids or something, I would say to suck it up and deal with it because s/he had others depending on you. But you've got your whole life ahead of you, to deal with BS. And this isn't even a job in your field? This is a crappy admin job? Follow your dreams.

I maintain what I've said, and I still think you should pursue your education.

Good for you! Aren't you lucky!

I can sympathize with the OP. I very rarely remember getting thanked for doing something well. But if something goes wrong or a mistake is made, I'm the first to hear about it. If it's my fault, I'm more than happy to own up, but if I'm not...well, I just grin and bear it, because I do need a job.

However, Angel, just because the OP needs a job and is afraid to lose one is no excuse to treat someone like crap. We all have our personal standards. If s/he's unhappy, they need to move on and start fresh. I'm entitled to my opinion.

And BTW, employees have a choice too. I personally would not want to work for you, just as certain as I'm sure you wouldn't want to hire me. The feeling is quite mutual, I assure you.

Is there honesty and integrity towards employees anymore? Not where I've worked. Especially among admins...the attitude is, you are very easily replaceable. Business is business. You yourself said it. If I had a boss with an attitude like you, I'd think, "Well, they're not looking out for my interests, I'm not looking out for theirs." Yes, I do my work...and then some! But if you think I'm going to toil for 2 plus years without trying to better myself by finishing school because I'm going to look out for YOUR best interests above my own(and by "your", I mean an employer), you've got another thing coming.

I agree, the OP should not leave a job without having another lined up. And if the OP had kids or something, I would say to suck it up and deal with it because s/he had others depending on you. But you've got your whole life ahead of you, to deal with BS. And this isn't even a job in your field? This is a crappy admin job? Follow your dreams.

I maintain what I've said, and I still think you should pursue your education.

You may just be in a situation where you work with unappreciative people but based on what the OP is saying about her situation, it sounds like she's screwing up and has an attitude - that's what I was talking about. Whether she likes her job or not, she's making herself and everyone else miserable because of how she's coming across, whether she's aware of it or not. It sounds like they're being pretty tolerant of her, actually.

My biggest complaint is this sense of entitlement that so many people have - the EXPECTATION that the company should be concerned that mid-stream she decides to get her masters, and she gets pissed off when her employer doesn't want to change the terms that they hired her under.

It's not the company's fault that she accepted a job she doesn't like so it's totally unfair to blame them for her problems. If she has a degree, then I have no idea why she's not in a job that pertains to what she wants to do. OF COURSE everyone has options and they don't need to stay at a job that makes them miserable. I'm only saying that unless you're the lucky recipient of being the heir to millions of dollars and you don't HAVE to work, it's a much smarter choice to change your attitude about your job until you can get away from it, and let go of the blaming attitude. Most of the time when a person changes their attitude, things around them change. That's a fact.

The people who work for me are very happy because I don't micromanage them, I value them, defend them, don't ask or expect them to work long hours, and I trust them to do their jobs. As long as their jobs aren't suffering, they can talk and visit with one another or play on the internet for all I care. They take off for appointments whenever they want, if their kids are sick and they try to come in, I encourage them to stay home because their kids need them. But they also know I won't put up with attitudes of no accountability, a sense of entitlement, disrespect, going over my head, etc. There is a way to work within company policy and still be happy. If I don't uphold company policy, then I lose my job. If someone comes to work every day with a crappy attitude, you're right - they don't last long here. I have very high standards and I know how to have fun. There is a such thing as balance.

I get what you're saying Angel, and maybe you're right...but I must say, I can relate to her post about being treated like a maid and not a secretary. It's demoralizing. It definitely contributes to a crappy attitude. If you have any suggestions for keeping a good attitude while being crapped on, by all means, share them! Maybe you are a good boss, I don't know. I'll bet my boss thinks he is a good boss too. He's wrong. And the more you talk to him and try to explain it, he just doesn't get it.

For instance, our conference room is constantly a disaster. People leave their coffee stuff, don't put books back on the shelf, leave papers out...no matter how many signs I put up to CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF, it's always a mess...and I am the one who gets yelled at when it's not clean. And that's just ONE thing among many.

But, it's a living, right?

So I am going to college, and I guarantee you, if my boss told me, "No, I won't adjust your schedule for school," that would've been my last straw and I would've walked out for sure. I don't make enough for this s**t.

I agree with much of what Angel said. And I saw the same crappy attitude and sense of entitlement..usually among the 20-something workers.

Having said that though, I was once an admin asst before I was a manager and I really can relate.

I mean just look at the other thread here about this.

Women complaining about having to say hello and goodbye to their assistant. And training their staff to not talk to them before they've had their coffee.:rolleyes:

Despicable. Is that a way to treat another human being? Who cares if you're not awake or don't care to be civil?

For the life of me I can't understand the attitude of some bosses that their employees are less than human.

I NEVER treated my employees like that. I remember being treated that way and I never forgot it.

To the OP I say, take sick days and go on interviews or see if you can arrange them around your lunch hour or after work.

I do agree with Angel about your work record though. As a manager I never hired people who jumped around either.

Maybe you can stay there longer and just suck it up?

I agree with much of what Angel said. And I saw the same crappy attitude and sense of entitlement..usually among the 20-something workers.

Having said that though, I was once an admin asst before I was a manager and I really can relate.

I mean just look at the other thread here about this.

Women complaining about having to say hello and goodbye to their assistant. And training their staff to not talk to them before they've had their coffee.:rolleyes:

Despicable. Is that a way to treat another human being? Who cares if you're not awake or don't care to be civil?

For the life of me I can't understand the attitude of some bosses that their employees are less than human.

I NEVER treated my employees like that. I remember being treated that way and I never forgot it.

To the OP I say, take sick days and go on interviews or see if you can arrange them around your lunch hour or after work.

I do agree with Angel about your work record though. As a manager I never hired people who jumped around either.

Maybe you can stay there longer and just suck it up?

I agree wholeheartedly with your post, Touche. That's basically what I am trying to say. There's a difference between having a sense of entitlement and being treated like dirt. It's the admin, not the maid. Not the scapegoat.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post, Touche. That's basically what I am trying to say. There's a difference between having a sense of entitlement and being treated like dirt. It's the admin, not the maid. Not the scapegoat.

I hear you!

What gets me is how some of these bosses can treat others the way they do. Weren't they once in a subordinate role? Did they forget what it can be like?

I think the way a person treats their employees speaks volumes about their character.

And I don't think Angel sounded unreasonable.

My management style was much like hers. I let my employees get away with murder if they did their jobs. I was not on a power trip.

And granted, I was sometimes taken advantage of. But I'd rather be taken advantage of occasionally than be a full-time bytch.

I get what you're saying Angel, and maybe you're right...but I must say, I can relate to her post about being treated like a maid and not a secretary. It's demoralizing. It definitely contributes to a crappy attitude. If you have any suggestions for keeping a good attitude while being crapped on, by all means, share them! Maybe you are a good boss, I don't know. I'll bet my boss thinks he is a good boss too. He's wrong. And the more you talk to him and try to explain it, he just doesn't get it.

For instance, our conference room is constantly a disaster. People leave their coffee stuff, don't put books back on the shelf, leave papers out...no matter how many signs I put up to CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF, it's always a mess...and I am the one who gets yelled at when it's not clean. And that's just ONE thing among many.

But, it's a living, right?

So I am going to college, and I guarantee you, if my boss told me, "No, I won't adjust your schedule for school," that would've been my last straw and I would've walked out for sure. I don't make enough for this s**t.

Well he is a bad boss if he treats you like that. And your co-workers are really inconsiderate. People don't understand how this grates on someone and how it creates bad feelings and makes them feel used. This is poor management on your boss's part.

When I was an admin person, I wasn't expected to do things like clean the conference room for others but that is the function of some admin people unfortunately. Really, it has to be done by someone but I do think they're abusing it at your office. But even though I didn't have to do things like that, I would voluntarily do things on my own - like whenever my boss had a visitor, I thought it was just common courtesy to offer them coffee or a drink and to offer that to my boss as well. I didn't think of this as being subserviant, just couteous. Or if I was getting coffee for myself, I'd ask my boss if he wanted anything. And he started doing the same thing for me. These seem like small things but it made him feel appreciated and it connected us in a small way.

As far as the conference room thing is concerned - and I'm sure there's more stuff but I'm just focusing on that for now - if your boss puts the blame on you about it then he apparently thinks it's your job but didn't bother to communicate this to you. Again, poor management. But there is a way around poor managers. I think if I were you, make the decision that this conference room thing is your reponsibility - even though that was only halfway conveyed to you. Just look at it as a temporary thing (because you won't be there forever), that you're doing a service to everyone, that you're keeping the office looking nice, and it gets you away from the sitting at your desk for awhile. These may seem like little things but it can help with how you see it, and then that can help with not feeling so resistant to it. I think you're resistent to it because it's been treated like a side issue and it was never really discussed and you feel taken for granted. All good reasons for you to be resistant and irritated about the whole thing. But try turning it around in your mind, look at it from a different angle and maybe that will help.

If someone in my office has a crappy attitude, I will first try to find out why. I don't just make the decision that they're jerks and need to go away. There have been times when I talk to them that I find out that I did something, or was perceived to do something, that pissed them off and they were stewing about it. Most of the time, it's women fighting with other women. I once had 3 people quit on me all at once because they were fighting among themselves. I will never, ever let that happen again. But at first, I couldn't even see how I was responsible for it. But then I realized that I was responsible because I sensed problems and should've handled them a lot sooner. It has taken awhile for me to learn how to manage because it's my nature to just let people do their own thing. But I've learned that a lot of people want direction and attention, which I struggle with because I don't think that way. But I've only improved because I looked at the angles where I was accountable and where I could improve. It made a huge difference when I looked at what I was doing and how I could fix it, even when it wasn't obvious. Does that make sense?

One of the things about being an admin person is that you're constantly shifting from one thing to another and must wear many, many hats. If that goes unappreciated, it makes things tough. But I think you can shift things a little if you do some of the things I mentioned. I used to work at a huge corporation and I had managed to move up fairly high - but I'll never forget the secretary who was a level above me who cleaned up after meetings or whatever. I realized then that our jobs were really like catch-all jobs and something would fall on us whenever they didn't know where else it should fall.

After you try some changes for awhile and if your boss starts acting nicer toward you, if there are other admin people in the office, you might want to suggest to him that the conference room cleaning be dispersed amoung all of you. That's what I do at our office about cleaning the kitchen each day and turning off the coffee pots. And I'm one of the people who does the kitchen cleaning. Everyone has their day to check on things and straighten up - whatever. It's no big deal but it would be a big deal if I didn't communicate how I expected things to work or if I put it on one person but never really discussed it with them. So you might want to try that somewhere down the road, while also suggesting that the people in the meeting at least put the books away. But in the meantime, just schedule in the conference room cleaning the way you do other aspects of your job. Maybe it'll help you - at least until you can get out of there if things don't improve.

Explaining things to your boss probably won't get you very far. But if you can somehow weave a connection between the two of you, he might start responding differently to you. Not to say that you're 100% of the problem - because I'm sure you're not. I'm just saying that I've learned that when I change things about myself, things around me change. You may have a boss who's so clueless that he'll never get it. I don't know. And you shouldn't spend your life feeling like you're beating your head against the wall every day. It gets old.

Ok, I need to get back to work....! :)

Figure out where you want your life to go and then do what it takes to get it there.

I wouldn't recommend quitting right now though. Depending on your location, and job type, you might be looking for new employment long after all your reserves run out.

I regret quitting my last job before having a new one lined up. I hated my job. I haven't had a boss that bad in ages. I was relieved to be out of that company, but it is incredibly stressful to be unemployed. Plus, I was passed over for a few great jobs because I had quit my last one rather then sticking it out.

Now, I have quit a job to attend school full time. I needed a career path and my job wouldnt' allow me time off to take classes. I left on good terms. Completed my degree and was able to use the previous position as a good reference for potential employers.

Overall.. whatever you do... do NOT burn your bridges. Be the professional you wish the rest would be. Hold yourself to a higher standard. If you're unprofessional about it then it will negatively affect your chances of getting a new position in the future. Take the hit on this now to give you a chance at a better future. Think long term goals, rather then short term gratification.

There are certain aspects of the conference room cleaning that I know are my responsibility. And I don't mind doing that. The problem is, after I take care of my end, people negate the work I've done. For example, the project books. There is a sign stating not to leave the project books in your office, to put them back on the shelf at the end of the day before you leave.

But what inevitably happens? Someone keeps the book in their office. Then someone else is looking for the book. Even though I put up the sign stating NOT TO LEAVE THE BOOKS OFF THE SHELF, I am the one who gets yelled at because I don't go around every day asking, "Did you put your books back?" I just get frustrated. I am not the mother. I am the secretary. And the coffee cups? Come on. It's common sense to put your cup in the trash, or your lunch in the trash when you've finished it. Don't leave it on the table for the secretary to clean up.

But I get what you are saying, Angel, you have a point. It's a means to an end and if I view it differently, maybe I'll feel better about it. I'm just frustrated because I am the 13th secretary in 2 years here, and there is quite a bit of chaos. I'm doing my best to manage it, and I think I'm making some headway, but I'm still relatively new. I do hear from other employees that I'm the best one they've had, and that I have lots of promise. I don't know if that's blowing smoke up my butt because they don't want me to leave, or what.

I just can say, I can relate to the OP's feelings of frustration, especially since she has her degree...I don't have mine and that's why I feel like, "Well, I have to take it, it's not like I can get a better job." But she (I'm assuming it's a she) can, and I just would hate for someone to settle like I've had to! (That's why I'm going back to college!)

There are certain aspects of the conference room cleaning that I know are my responsibility. And I don't mind doing that. The problem is, after I take care of my end, people negate the work I've done. For example, the project books. There is a sign stating not to leave the project books in your office, to put them back on the shelf at the end of the day before you leave.

But what inevitably happens? Someone keeps the book in their office. Then someone else is looking for the book. Even though I put up the sign stating NOT TO LEAVE THE BOOKS OFF THE SHELF, I am the one who gets yelled at because I don't go around every day asking, "Did you put your books back?" I just get frustrated. I am not the mother. I am the secretary. And the coffee cups? Come on. It's common sense to put your cup in the trash, or your lunch in the trash when you've finished it. Don't leave it on the table for the secretary to clean up.

But I get what you are saying, Angel, you have a point. It's a means to an end and if I view it differently, maybe I'll feel better about it. I'm just frustrated because I am the 13th secretary in 2 years here, and there is quite a bit of chaos. I'm doing my best to manage it, and I think I'm making some headway, but I'm still relatively new. I do hear from other employees that I'm the best one they've had, and that I have lots of promise. I don't know if that's blowing smoke up my butt because they don't want me to leave, or what.

I just can say, I can relate to the OP's feelings of frustration, especially since she has her degree...I don't have mine and that's why I feel like, "Well, I have to take it, it's not like I can get a better job." But she (I'm assuming it's a she) can, and I just would hate for someone to settle like I've had to! (That's why I'm going back to college!)

Yeah, go back to college. It'll be the best thing you ever did for yourself because it'll open doors for you. Your office sounds like a total mess and I'm amazed they can even stay in business opeating as they do.

The thing that stands out to me most is the yelling stuff. If that's happening, it needs to stop or you need to leave. Well you do have one advantage and that is that they DO NOT want to go through yet another secretary so maybe you can turn things around so that they'll be more inclined to listen. They should be listening now but that doesn't sound feasible. I honestly think you're in too much chaos for it to be fixed because the level of disrespect is very high. Just keep looking and maybe you'll find something new. Or if you don't have kids or anything, then maybe there's a way you can work part-time and go to college full-time. That's the best thing to do if it is at all possible.

I've been there too. I was a.. not even a secretary, but an over worked receptionist for several years. I couldn't stand the abuse, and finally went back to college for my degree.

Fetch the coffee, clean the offices, proof the letters, balance the budget, had no power over others but held responsible for every thing. I could never understand how they could trust me with handling all their money, yet they considered me retarded in all other activities. Just demoralizing. Not to mention every one had the power to tell me what to do and how to do it. I'd get 3-4 people saying jump at the same time, while 3 others were saying run over there. I really had to bust butt to get everything accomplished before the deadlines.

Not that I love working now... but at least I get treated as a valuable contributor to a team. I've been a janitor too, and I'd put secretary below janitor status... at least a janitor is expected to be grumpy and surly. Secretaries are expected to be all smiles and postive attitude. bah. :mad:

• Author

wow thanks for the responses

Kchi...you and I are working in similar places. I also have to pick up after the whole world...literally, they go buy their meals and leave all their trash, bags and uneaten food scatter throughout the conference room. Difference is? Im not allowed to put up signs...not even send out an email requesting for anything. I once asked if they could give me a reference for certain packages I have to sent out daily and I got a nasty email about how I cannot be putting more work on the others, that I have to figure it out for myself.

Also I have to do supply orders but they have no control over who gets what so by the end of the week the supplies are gone..so ofcourse i have to do another other and then get yelled at because Im doing too many orders..lose lose...

In any case, Angel thank you for the shift kick in the butt. I do agree that it doesnt look good me changing jobs so often, and maybe i could stick it out a bit longer, but in reality my job here is useless for my career, other than to say i held a job for a year after college. No I dont have a bad attitude, its more frustration than anything else. When i interviewed for the job I clearly stated I would be going back to get my masters and I was told we would work out a good way to facilitate that...thats not happening. As far as screwing up, I forget to do small things such as order candy, or a certain type of coffee...the last screw up was big though (sent paperwork to wrong address)...and I took full responsibility for that, but its not like Im making faces all the time and blowing off my responsibilities. Im just tired of a senseless, thankless job but i do agree that it would build character (not to mention the good money) if i stick it out.

Princess, I have a BA in psychology and I am getting my master in clinical psychology with emphazis on MFT. I have always been very clear as to what I want to do with my life, but unfortunately a BA in psych wont get you very far. The first year after I graduated I worked as a therapist with autistic children in a preschool, but since i didnt have a master I was left to change diapers. I changed that for another company doing therapy and though the job was great it only give me about 25 hours and in august and december we had no job because the school distric is closed. I still had to pay rent so I choose to do this while I got back to school.

Right now im going to school full time as well as working full time. Its draining, and Im afraid that i wont do well because of it. On top of the frustration of the silly things I have to do here....

Anyway, I was supposed to give my notice today...I was going to give a four week notice so that they had a chance to find someone and I could train them for at least a week...However im too scared of not being able to find a part time soon enough....

• Author
I've been there too. I was a.. not even a secretary, but an over worked receptionist for several years. I couldn't stand the abuse, and finally went back to college for my degree.

Fetch the coffee, clean the offices, proof the letters, balance the budget, had no power over others but held responsible for every thing. I could never understand how they could trust me with handling all their money, yet they considered me retarded in all other activities. Just demoralizing. Not to mention every one had the power to tell me what to do and how to do it. I'd get 3-4 people saying jump at the same time, while 3 others were saying run over there. I really had to bust butt to get everything accomplished before the deadlines.

Not that I love working now... but at least I get treated as a valuable contributor to a team. I've been a janitor too, and I'd put secretary below janitor status... at least a janitor is expected to be grumpy and surly. Secretaries are expected to be all smiles and postive attitude. bah. :mad:

TOTALLY GET U!!!

I have 30 people to do projects for....on top of always looking pretty even when picking up their trash....ughhh what a sad job. I dont understand how people make a career out of these types of jobs!

I don't have children yet, and I've been giving it some thought. I live with my mom temporarily while I'm focusing on my college education. There was a time when my mom didn't support me in going to college, but now she does 100%, thank goodness. So it's not like I'll starve. I just don't want to quit a job. I will see how long I can tolerate this. There are some good aspects. I have some really cool coworkers, and one of them told me she is getting a new position in November and she would like to take me with her. (I take that with a grain of salt, although that would be appreciated.)

There's a reason there have been so many secretaries, and now I see the reason. It is very chaotic and disorganized AND dirty. The conditions are unsanitary. Rat poop constantly falls from the ceiling. There are flies EVERYWHERE. I have to take out my own garbage. I'm tired of hearing myself complain, but you get the idea!

I'm sorry to t/j you OP, but I think you've gotten some good advice from this thread. Don't let yourself get bitter like me! I'm only at the ripe old age of 25, and I am so bitter. It's pitiful.